Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Chinese Take Away Curry

• 05-07-2018 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Looking to make one tomorrow. What makes them taste the way they do and not like the ****e in a jar or the curry powder?

I'll happily tip in to the Chinese food store to pick up ingredients.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Mainly MSG. As far as I know you can buy it in the asian markets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

MSG doesn't taste of anything, it just enhances other flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

Yeah, MSG is just a flavour enhancer and a salt in itself. We always link with Chinese food, but it's found in everything and harmless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Few Asian places that sell the paste that gets as close as you can to the Chinese takeaway stuff (salt at your discretion)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

fritzelly wrote: »
    Few Asian places that sell the paste that gets as close as you can to the Chinese takeaway stuff (salt at your discretion)

Cheers, I'll have a look into that. I'll probably spend more than a trip down the take away will cost, but it's nice all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭robbe

ESMITH29 wrote: »
    Looking to make one tomorrow. What makes them taste the way they do and not like the ****e in a jar or the curry powder?

I'll happily tip in to the Chinese food store to pick up ingredients.

I have tried quite a few recipes and this one was pretty close if you don't want to head down the pre-made paste route....what I did do was add some curry powder as whilst the recipe does produce the right consistency, colour and general flavour it's a bit bland....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100654150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would recommend the goldfish hot & spicy chinese curry paste.

It is in many asian shops and even in my tesco, but far more expensive in tesco.

500x353.jpg?1454593104

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259731818

I would add large slices of onion at the very end, so they are still crunchy.

I cut them in quarters like most chinese places seem to do
    quartered-onion.jpg?w=300&h=225

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

+1 for the paste from the Asian supermarkets...I asked a local girl working in the local Chinese to get me the name of the one they use and I got it the supermarket at the Jarvis Luas stop...added a few onions,peas and garlic and I got it very close..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

rubadub wrote: »
    I would recommend the goldfish hot & spicy chinese curry paste.

It is in many asian shops and even in my tesco, but far more expensive in tesco.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259731818

I would add large slices of onion at the very end, so they are still crunchy.

I cut them in quarters like most chinese places seem to do

What's your method rubadub?

What's your method rubadub?

I don't actually make chicken curries with it. I tried a few times but they were never as good so have no real tips on the chicken. My Chinese also does a tray of curry sauce for just 2.60, this fills a standard size jar you would buy. This was not on the menu until recently so people should try asking their own if they do a large sauce.

The quartering of the onions does seem to make a difference, not sure if it is in my head. I have added chilli powder and 5 spice to the curry sauces, or just a star anise while boiling it up. I have also added liquidised onion which is properly cooked into it.

I have seen it recommended to add coconut milk instead of simply water. I have yet to try this but sounds good.

Mayflower is another brand I saw recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mayflower-Curry-Sauce-Mix-Bucket/dp/B016RWI7NG/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1530874406&sr=1-6&keywords=mayflower+curry

There is another irish mayflower brand, I am not sure what it is like, but it is not the one I saw recommended https://www.mayflower.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

If you want to get the chicken/beef to have that smooth surface texture like it usually does in a chinese take-away, you can marinade it for about 10 minutes in some baking soda, just before you cook it - but don't forget to rinse it off before cooking it or it'll taste terrible.

It's called 'velveting' and is also sometimes done with egg white and/or cornflour. For example, after dicing one chicken breast, I'd stir in between 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of baking sod' leave it for 10 minutes, then rinse it really well. I never use the egg method because I never have egg white lying around and I'm damned if I'm cracking an egg just to marinate some chicken.

I find the baking soda does the job very quickly and it makes fakeaway chinese curries that bit more authentic :) To keep the chicken really tender, I don't pre-fry it at all, I just put it straight into the hot curry sauce and let it cook at a bare simmer until it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Plus one on the Goldfish paste. Lovely and you can get it damn close by adding garlic, soy, rice wine etc. plus some salt and pepper as you go.

After trying loads of recipes and jars, I stuck on goldfish paste.

Good stuff.

Just checked what it is I have at home and it is indeed the Goldfish Hot & Spicy - tasty stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

And do you just mix it with water?

Yep

Its a thick hard paste. Says it does not have to be kept in the fridge, probably due to the lack of water and high salt content.

I scrap the top with a fork so it all fluffs off, this makes it dissolve a lot easier, or else scrape up shards with a spoon. When you are boiling the sauce it can appear to be a little too watery, but just like takeaway chinese curry once it cools a bit it will thicken a lot.

I often just do it in a small cup/bowl in the microwave, small portion for chips.

The mayflower one seems to be a power, like granulated gravy mix. This is similar to an Irish one called Bensons which you often see in butchers. I used to think bensons was pretty good till I got the goldfish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Chinese don't eat curry !!

Had what pretended to be a sweet and sour this week.
    Pure stodge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pure stodge!

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Mayflower one is pretty similar to a tajeaway curry and very easy to make. Get the extra spicy one because the medium one is just bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/katsu-chicken-curry/

This if far better and tastier than anything you'll get in the take away.

Easy enough to make too.

• Advertisement

and spiceburgers & whirly burgers are not authentic Italian dishes!!

I have never met anybody under the impression that the curry you get in Irish Chinese takeaways is an authentic/popular Chinese dish in China. Yet frequently see people pointing it out.
    TheShow wrote: »
    http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/katsu-chicken-curry/

This if far better and tastier than anything you'll get in the take away.
    Is it anything like a Chinese takeaway curry sauce though?

Many who like Chinese takeaway curry are not fans of other types, it is quite distinct in most places I have got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yeungs-Chinese-Curry-Mix-Pack/dp/B007VN8NH6

Winner! I love my Chinese curry and this stuff is the job. I get it locally from a butcher but some Supervalu's stock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I don't think I have tasted hoisin for 5 spice in chicken with cashew nut dishes. I use it in my own version and love it so wish they did, both ingredients are in Chinese BBQ sauce which I love.

I once asked in my Chinese if I could get chicken with cashew nuts but with BBQ sauce as I find the standard sauce very bland, he said the usual sauce was oyster sauce based.

This guys channel is pretty good, but he can be hard to hear and make out sometimes, but posts the recipe too. This is more like what I get in my local takeaways.

Khoan Vong
    Published on Jan 26, 2017

Chicken cashew nut is a classic Chinese dish; it’s a mainstay in any Chinese restaurants or take away. This dish is best cooked with vegetables that are firm and crunchy. My chicken cashew nut has bamboo shoots, water chestnut, spring onion and carrots among the ingredients. The bamboo shoot and water chestnuts gives the dish a crunchy texture while carrots and spring onion add some colours to the dish. To avoid over soften the cashew nut; they should be added when the dish is almost complete. This allowed the roasted cashew nut to be crunchy and aromatic.
    Below is my recipe for this Chinese classic stir fry of chicken cashew nut.

Chicken cashew nuts recipe

Ingredients
    130g chicken breast
    Handful of roasted cashew nuts
    3 cloves garlic
    50g bamboo shoot sliced
    50g water chestnuts
    30g onion
    30g sliced carrots
    1 stalk spring onion

Condiments
    1 tablespoon light soy sauce
    1 g salt
    1g MSG
    1g sugar
    Half teaspoon oyster sauce
    Dash cooking wine
    Dash of white pepper powder
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    30ml water
    Lightly thicken (5g potato starch mix with 20g cold water)

Method
    First blanch the bamboo shoot, water chestnuts and carrots in water for 1 minute; drain and set aside.
    Heat wok with plenty of oil and fry the chicken in medium /low heat for about 2-3 minutes until the chicken is around 80% cooked. Pour the chicken in a metal strainer.
    Wash and heat wok with some vegetable cooking oil.
    Add the garlic and onion into the wok and stir fry for a bit.
    Add some light soy sauce, and stir fry for a bit. Then add some wine, oyster sauce, white pepper powder and sesame oil.
    Stir fry for a bit more and add 30ml of water/stock. Follow by salt, MSG and sugar.
    Stir fry thoroughly and lightly thicken with some potato starch to complete. This is done by mixing around 5g of potato starch with 15g of cold water. Slowly add them in as you stir the wok.

_____________-

back to curry sauce, this was the one from the Chinese megathread, started in 2010
    jassha wrote: »
    chinese curry sauce recipe
    You will need
    -2litres oil
    -1 lge onion
    -1 head garlic
    -2 carrots
    -1 stick celery
    -1 red pepper
    -1 lemon
    -2 pieces of ginger
    -10 whole chilies (more if u like it spicier)

PHASE ONE

Put oil into a big pot(should only come one third up the pot)
    heat to approx 160 degrees
    add all of other ingredients a little at a time
    cook til all ingredients appear roasted looking
    Smell at this point will be incredible
    turn off and strain oil into another pot
    disgard veg

PHASE TWO

Put oil back on a very low heat
    add plain flour 4 parts
    add a medium madras curry powder 1 part
    repeat above until u have a very thick paste
    add 2 chopped bananas
    cook very slowly mixing every few mins for 1 hour
    remove from heat and leave to cool

You now have a curry paste far superior to anything u could buy in a shop and with no additives

To make ure sauce pour a tin of coconut milk into a pot add an equivelent amount of water or stock add some of ure paste and bring to the boil stirring constantly. season with salt, sugar and pepper. NO NEED FOR MSG UNLESS U REALLY LIKE IT.

This paste will keep in a clean dry container for 6 to eight weeks

That poster worked in restaurants here. As did this guy below advising what to add to the goldfish paste.
    RJohnG wrote: »
    Yes. Some of the 'lazier' Chinese takeaways use this and other brands but it's not the same as using a good home made paste. A good paste has it's own stamp on it and people order because of this. If you are going to use the Goldfish brand you need to use a pork/chicken stock, MSG, sugar and salt and a little chili oil this will give you a kickass taste. Just adding water will not do the business. Oops sorry for the language.

Advertisement