Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activating Contactless on AIB Credit card

• 05-07-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

To activate contactless you must complete a Chip & PIN or ATM transaction. Does it have to be done in Rep of Ireland or can you activate a card overseas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Delta2113 wrote: »
    To activate contactless you must complete a Chip & PIN or ATM transaction. Does it have to be done in Rep of Ireland or can you activate a card overseas?

It can be done at any ATM attached to a bank (not in shop atms etc). Any chip and pin point of sale transaction should do it too.

Its just to check you actually have the pin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

368100 wrote: »
    It can be done at any ATM attached to a bank (not in shop atms etc). Any chip and pin point of sale transaction should do it too.

Its just to check you actually have the pin

Thanks and this will work worldwide? I have to post a card to a family member in America and I don't really want to activate the contactless on the card in Rep of Ireland if not necessary for safety sake in case it goes missing in post.

Thanks and this will work worldwide? I have to post a card to a family member in America and I don't really want to activate the contactless on the card in Rep of Ireland if not necessary for safety sake in case it goes missing in post.

If its at a main ATM attached to a bank it should.

Not sure what the chip and pin rollout in the states is like these days so i wouldn't rely on this.

One thing to consider is notifying the bank that there will be foreign transactions as anti fraud systems are likely to stop them.

Yes anti fraud kicking in would be a concern. I am correct in thinking this is only to activate the contactless? I could use it online for example but this obviously won't activate the contactless.

Yes anti fraud kicking in would be a concern. I am correct in thinking this is only to activate the contactless? I could use it online for example but this obviously won't activate the contactless.

Yes, online wont activate it as the bank wants to see you use the card with the pin to see its in the right hands

• Advertisement

If I activated contactless here and it went missing in post in Ireland or Amercia - could someone use contactless 3 times a day every day with it. Worst case scenario I'm trying to figure out maximum damage.

No, it should stop for a pin every 5 transactions or so

368100 wrote: »
    No, it should stop for a pin every 5 transactions or so

I think it's three and sometimes you are randomly asked for PIN so maybe my worst case scenario would be €90 (3×30).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I think it's three and sometimes you are randomly asked for PIN so maybe my worst case scenario would be €90 (3×30).

That's 18 years worth of the max annual debit card stamp duty

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    That's 18 years worth of the max annual debit card stamp duty

Or 3 years credit card stamp duty. We are talking about credit card and specifically AIB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement