Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burial or Cremation?

• 05-07-2018 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

When you’re checking out of this life what’s the plan?

When you’re checking out of this life what’s the plan? 128 votes

Burial
    0% 0 votes
    Cremation
    19% 25 votes
    Meh
    68% 88 votes
    kicked out of a burning airplane with 6 grenades with no pins in my pockets
    11% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Fired into the Sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Cremation.

Not that I would know anything about it, but I don't fancy being left to decompose like an out of date, leftover chicken carcass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Birneybau wrote: »
    Fired into the Sun

Soooooo... cremation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Birneybau wrote: »
    Fired into the Sun

Page 3 ill get you a soft landing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I want to be kicked out of a burning airplane with 6 grenades with no pins in my pockets.

BOOM!

Red mist all over the place.

Sure. Off you go to Syria. You know who to contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I don't have a plan. I'll be dead so it won't matter to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

That Viking type one where they put your body in a boat with loads of kindling, set it out floating in a lake and some guy shoots a flaming arrow at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I want to be kicked out of a burning airplane with 6 grenades with no pins in my pockets.

BOOM!

Red mist all over the place.

I am so adding this option to the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

How was i the first person to vote for the obviously awesomest option. Human firework... maybe a bit messy I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Cremation and scatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There’s a new thing where a body is dissolved in chemicals. I’m not sure what it’s called,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I couldn't care less its not as if i would know about it either way due to the fact i would be dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Isnt the pope against cremation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Composted ....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Cremated and sent into space

Try_harder wrote: »
    Isnt the pope against cremation?
    Yes the Catholic Church has historically been opposed to cremation and in favour of burial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Burial at sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Whoever is left behind can do as they wish - wont affect me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Putinbot wrote: »
    I am so adding this option to the poll.

Can I change my vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Freeze dried or maybe salted and preserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Cremated then the ashes buried with the seed of a tree. I'm 5ft at the moment, so something tall please. Not like a little shrub or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

brevity wrote: »
    That Viking type one where they put your body in a boat with loads of kindling, set it out floating in a lake and some guy shoots a flaming arrow at it.

So, as with my being fired into the Sun, cremation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Cremation all the way! Let the co-op do it before Satan gets his hands on me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not arsed. I'll be dead so whatever my family decide is up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's an American funeral director on youtube who makes vids about this type of thing. "Ask a Mortician'

Her cremation vid is really interesting, takes bloody ages apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I have no desire to occupy a small rectangle of land indefinitely after my death. Use me as bbq fuel.

• Advertisement

On 2nd thoughts i opt for cremation much quicker than being put into a box 6ft under waiting for your body to decompose its simply better to get the job done there and then have my ashes scattered into the river, sea or some body of water for all i care.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When I die, I want my remains scattered in Disneyland. Also, I don't want to be cremated....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've thought about this many times and can't come up with a decision, on the one hand I think it's selfish to have a spot of land dedicated to you when you're gone, on the other hand with no grave it's like you never lived on the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You can have your name added to a family headstone if one exists. Also in memory of “Atlantic Dawn”. Do it now and leave a date space and instructions for the relevant dates to be added!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Just throw me into a big quarry & bash my head in with a rock until I'm unrecognizable. Maybe play S-Express - Theme From S-Express (Acid House Mix) while a stripper dances over my mangled corpse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I seem to be the only one here who doesn't mind burial, (preferably post death).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cremation. On a viking long boat. That has a 500kg depth charge strapped to the funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Cremation,,, I love ice-cream anyway, so to be buried in it would be my wish.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Grind me up. Mix the ground me with the ground meaty bits from other dead things that Burger King normally uses and sell me as Super Meaty Burger (with Cheese).

I've got so much enjoyment from BK burgers in my life so its time to give something back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My preference would be shallow burial. Then you’d be of some use to the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The lack.of crematoriums in Ireland is shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I personally don’t care as I won’t be here anymore, and I’m not sentimental in that way. My relatives can do whatever makes them feel best.

Practically, I wouldn’t mind my body being donated to science. At least that way it’ll be of some use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

" The Bride " would have handled that situation :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'd like to be stuffed, mounted and displayed at major family gatherings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Cremation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Gael23 wrote: »
    There’s a new thing where a body is dissolved in chemicals. I’m not sure what it’s called,

Destruction of evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Destruction of evidence?
    Dammit, beat me to it! :D

As dudara says, I don't care, I'll be dead. Whatever my family feel will be most comforting to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well I already own a plot, but I don't think the current wife would be on board with she and I sharing a plot with wife no.1.... :o;)
    I've tried broaching the subject of a sexy afterlife 3some sandwiches ;)
    But no joy, so it'll likely be a Viking funeral for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

personally i dont care, ill be dead so it wont make much difference to me.
    as it happens though i know ill be buried and i know exactly where ill be buried.

our infant son died a few years ago and we buried him, we had to buy a plot ect. so now i go to visit his grave and i look at the place where i know my remains will be put. its a very ancient graveyard that has been in use since early christian times, for over a thousand years they say.

so i look down at the bit of ground and look around at all the headstones and what have you and know that ill be there long after my grandchildren have died and stopped visiting the grave, long after the last man has gone and the headstones fallen down and the grass and trees grown on top of them. ill be there under a pile of rubble, and vegetation and somewhere in the soil and roots and bits of marble and concrete will be a small square piece of marble with with my first born sons name on it.
    its only a little headstone, only 9 inches high so too small to break. the bigger ones that surround it my included will be shatter over the millennia but chances are that little one will survive. mixed up with his bones and my bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Just looking at the Death stats in Ireland

Correct me if Im wrong but on average there are 36000 deaths per year ( Based on 2017 figures )

Using google it shows me 3 Crematoriums in Ireland.

With the current trend of people moving away from Religion and 60% of the survey wanting to be cremated. I would think in the next few decades, Crematoriums popping up in every county in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Buried. Give my body back to the earth. Being cremated is such a weird thing to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement