Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burial or Cremation?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Gael23 wrote: »
    There’s a new thing where a body is dissolved in chemicals. I’m not sure what it’s called,

the Sopranos option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Buried. Give my body back to the earth. Being cremated is such a weird thing to me.

Make sure it’s a shallow burial then. There are a few shallow burial places in Ireland. Six feet under is not actually that helpful. Needs to be closer to the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Only two requests.
    1. Body scattered across O'Connell St.
    2. No cremation

Whichever makes those I leave behind most comfortable, up and including of :

apparently-theres-a-third-option-between-burial-and-cremation-20985651.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

wexie wrote: »

dont get too close

bloody6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Just looking at the Death stats in Ireland

Correct me if Im wrong but on average there are 36000 deaths per year ( Based on 2017 figures )

Using google it shows me 3 Crematoriums in Ireland.

With the current trend of people moving away from Religion and 60% of the survey wanting to be cremated. I would think in the next few decades, Crematoriums popping up in every county in Ireland.

Spoke to someone about this recently and he said a local undertaker had priced this up and the figure he came up with was €2 million. Need an awful of people opting for creamation to make that viable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Definitely cremation, just dump my ashes somewhere up in the mountains. I don't go for all this morbid gravestones and flowers and visiting the grave every Sunday nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Gael23 wrote: »
    There’s a new thing where a body is dissolved in chemicals. I’m not sure what it’s called,

Google: Resomator

There's lots on YouTube about the Resomator too.

There's two or three variations, one uses chemicals and heat, the other, more interesting one uses vibrations.

The second one is so 'neutral' to the environment that the residue water can be dumped into the municipal water system to be reused.

Apologies, the only comprehensive link I could find was the Daily Mail.. :o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4895712/New-type-cremation-DISSOLVES-bodies-LIQUID.html

---

Reminds me a bit of the Brazen_bull (Wikipedia), bones glistened like gems and gold after victims remains were recovered..

---

EDIT Promession is the alternative 'cold' method. Freeze drying and vibration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promession

Promession has been touted for at least a decade and used in some Nordic countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Burial most definitely for me and plant a few rose bushes on top of me. The thoughts of being burnt is just horrible to me. I don't even like the thoughts of dealing with anyone else's ashes should it ever arise. Knowing my luck there'd be a breeze and I'd get a face full :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The lack.of crematoriums in Ireland is shocking
    Have you seen the fuss over a few incenerators ?

Also there's this documentary showing the technicalities of setting up one.
    https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?srchTxt=cu%20burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

How many posts in and not one person has said theyd like to be buried balls deep in Bibi Baskin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I go for cremation even though i'll probably get buried if i died suddenly. I don't like the idea of getting funky in a box. I know you won't noticed anything but the thought of being trapped inside a box underground rotting away doesn't sit well with me. Just release my ashes out in the open is all i'd want or as i said before(Snorted by grandkids)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The Fargo option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mutant z wrote: »
    Yes the Catholic Church has historically been opposed to cremation and in favour of burial.

Allowed now but against scattering of ashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Buried at sea for me, let the fishes eat me, fairs fair given how many of them I've eaten through the years

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    Buried at sea for me, let the fishes eat me, fairs fair given how many of them I've eaten through the years

By that logic you'd have to drop me to the nearest pig farm :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

By that logic you'd have to drop me to the nearest pig farm :(

Hmmm, where would you go if you ate a lot of pussy ?
    :)

Hmmm, where would you go if you ate a lot of pussy ?
    :)

ISPCA :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Cremation or donation to science for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Dress me smug with a leather jacket and put ray bans on my face, break into some random House and sit my body on the couch, so the randomly selected family has a lovely morning surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

Voted Cremation though the airplane thing and the hand grenades sounds fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Cremation or donation to science for me.

All joking aside, that donation to science is a great thing to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Cremation for me.

My parents both want that too so we are considering the using the ashes to grow trees thing and maybe start a mini family forest!

I think it would be nice if could plant something that intertwines with another plant so they can be together.

Recently my mum said she wants some of her ashes scattered at the point on the border between her home county and the one she made our family home where She used to cross to come meet my dad. Luckily it is in a beautiful boggy mountain so will be a sweet place to say goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Witchie wrote: »
    Cremation for me.

My parents both want that too so we are considering the using the ashes to grow trees thing and maybe start a mini family forest!

I think it would be nice if could plant something that intertwines with another plant so they can be together.

Recently my mum said she wants some of her ashes scattered at the point on the border between her home county and the one she made our family home where She used to cross to come meet my dad. Luckily it is in a beautiful boggy mountain so will be a sweet place to say goodbye.

That all sounds just perfect :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A garda friend of mine witnessed an exhumation and told me he couldn't eat for days after it.

The body in his case had been buried for 9 years.

They don't go to bones swiftly, they rot and fester for years.

The smell apparently is unbelievable.

The coffin lid in this case had crushed and the rest was filled with water.

This heavily decomposed body then had to be sent for a postmortem examination .

God only knows how these people do their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Is it not enough to have lived. Why should humans continue to take up space after they die.

Graveyards are another selfish unevironmental act. They should be outlawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Cremation, ashes placed in a bio urn and used to grow an Oak tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Birneybau wrote: »
    Fired into the Sun

Hunter S Thompson style! :)

I always said I'd prefer to be buried.

I'm surprised to see so few people are picking the airplane&grenades option.

I'd quite like the change from having the red mist descending to being the descending red mist :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Cremation, ashes placed in a bio urn and used to grow an Oak tree.

Ash is a common term used to describe the contents of the urn post-cremation but that term is a misconception, the only part of a human that doesn't burn is their bones and it is a portion of their bone that is crushed into a fine dust\powder and placed in the urn, not ash.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement