Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Phibro company setting up in Sligo

• 05-07-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

I'm all for good news for the town. The only questions/concerns I would have when an international company sets up like this in the area:

Will they be employing people from the Sligo area?

or Will they have their own workers and just transfer them from one of their other locations?

I also think I heard on the radio news this morning that the calibre of people they will be looking for are highly educated and there is a high renumeration package for the candidates - where does that leave the not so highly educated unemployed people in Sligo? - wouldnt it be more rejoyceful for companies to come into Sligo which can offer employment to all walks of life?

When the reporter asked how people could apply for the jobs the spokesman for the company said there were already people that had applied for the jobs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

where does that leave the not so highly educated unemployed people in Sligo?

When a company can generate high paying jobs.
    It usually predicated upon their being able to supply a high quality product or service and charging their customers accordingly.
    Usually that product or service is dependant upon a skilled or qualified workforce.

It would likely leave the not so highly educated unemployed Sligo folk wishing to avail of the opportunity the company presents at the mercy of market forces.
    With no marketable skill or qualification to induce the company to employ them, why would they?
    They can upskill/retrain and apply on their merits.
    Your post smacks of a local jobs for local people kind of thing.

As for jobs for the locals, surely if employment creation was easy there'd be no unemployment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

is there anything wrong with "local jobs for local people" on the whole?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There might be some of their own workers transferring but it probably won't be many.

Even if there are 0 people living locally who get jobs there it still benefits Sligo people. For a start, qualified people from the Sligo area who left for work now have the opportunity to move back there. Also, the people who move to Sligo for these high paying jobs will be spending their money locally in the town so this provides plenty of other jobs in the local area. Imagine all the money an average person who lives in Sligo spends in the local economy. Even if every single one of those people come from outside of Sligo, that's still 150 people who will do their shopping, go out for food, drinks and cinema, get their car serviced, etc. All this creates jobs in Sligo.

Regardless of all that, even companies with lots of highly skilled employees need cleaners, security, admin staff etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

There might be some of their own workers transferring but it probably won't be many.

Even if there are 0 people living locally who get jobs there it still benefits Sligo people. For a start, qualified people from the Sligo area who left for work now have the opportunity to move back there. Also, the people who move to Sligo for these high paying jobs will be spending their money locally in the town so this provides plenty of other jobs in the local area. Imagine all the money an average person who lives in Sligo spends in the local economy. Even if every single one of those people come from outside of Sligo, that's still 150 people who will do their shopping, go out for food, drinks and cinema, get their car serviced, etc. All this creates jobs in Sligo.

Regardless of all that, even companies with lots of highly skilled employees need cleaners, security, admin staff etc.

ah yes I see where you are coming from , I call it the "knock on effect" - so, yes it is possible - lets not forget its hoped though it will create 150 jobs but that will be over a 5 year period - could be over a few years until we really see benefit . Shame a firm cannot move in and straight away employ something in the region of over 100 jobs immediately .. now that really would be something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

ah yes I see where you are coming from , I call it the "knock on effect" - so, yes it is possible - lets not forget its hoped though it will create 150 jobs but that will be over a 5 year period - could be over a few years until we really see benefit . Shame a firm cannot move in and straight away employ something in the region of over 100 jobs immediately .. now that really would be something!

They're an Animal Health Company who plan to make vaccines, I'm not too up on the animal side but it can take a couple of years to properly register a product in a new site under medical/pharma guidelines, hence it's not a 'turn key' operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

My fear is that unskilled local people do get all the jobs, because if they do we are going to be looking at some very sick animals down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Also, the people who move to Sligo for these high paying jobs will be spending their money locally in the town so this provides plenty of other jobs in the local area. Imagine all the money an average person who lives in Sligo spends in the local economy. Even if every single one of those people come from outside of Sligo, that's still 150 people who will do their shopping, go out for food, drinks and cinema, get their car serviced, etc. All this creates jobs in Sligo.

Very true, 1 well paying job supports many others not just in a company's direct supply chain but in the local economy too.
    More money available locally to spend by people moving into an area for goods and services allows more local employment to be sustained and created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

The new site lead is ex Elanco.

Chatting to him, he reckons that the first 12 months the site will be mainly corporate temps who will transfer back to their own sites as locals get trained up.

There'll be 100+ graduate, unskilled operator, and experienced engineer level positions late next year.

Advertisement