Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

vriesmays is a racist/xenophobe and should be dealt with.

So must be the last census.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/11/18/new-plans-to-transform-city-centre/
    Love this proposal to roof part of O'Connell st. once it's transparent. Apple Market is a bit oppressive.
    Great if all of these plans get realised.
    I saw in the submissions for the next City Development Plan someone proposing to roof over The Mall in front of City Hall; maybe they should just put a big glass dome over the whole city like The Truman Show or Centre Parcs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They seem confident of a funding announcement before years end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

They seem confident of a funding announcement before years end.

If this project gets the go ahead/ approval then it will add a further €50m on top of the €110 million announced last week....soon Waterford will rival Dublin with the number of tower cranes and dodgy luminous jacket types

• Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Asdfgh2020 wrote:
    If this project gets the go ahead/ approval then it will add a further €50m on top of the €110 million announced last week....soon Waterford will rival Dublin with the number of tower cranes and dodgy luminous jacket types

They could use this money to create a public infrastructure bank, and fund everything from there, rather than continually going to the markets to do so, but it's impressive to see the money finally coming in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    They could use this money to create a public infrastructure bank, and fund everything from there, rather than continually going to the markets to do so, but it's impressive to see the money finally coming in

The Waterford Credit Unions alone have +€300 million on deposit that they are finding it hard to loan, seems the obvious step to invest it locally in WCC guaranteed projects that are a bonus for the community?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Love this proposal to roof part of O'Connell st. once it's transparent. Apple Market is a bit oppressive.
    I saw in the submissions for the next City Development Plan someone proposing to roof over The Mall in front of City Hall; maybe they should just put a big glass dome over the whole city like The Truman Show or Centre Parcs. :)

Jenkins Lane is going to be controversial.

The Waterford Credit Unions alone have +€300 million on deposit that they are finding it hard to loan, seems the obvious step to invest it locally in WCC guaranteed projects that are a bonus for the community?

public infrastructure banks are far different beasts altogether, generally only state bodies have accounts with them, and they are generally used for funding major public infrastructure projects, such as whats need for the north quays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Yeah, plans look great. I think the roof thing is especially good, we've seen it in Apple market how successful it has been. Not quite truman show yet, good film though.

List of projects The News and Star says there are 22 elements in total.

The pictures are for illustrative purposes only :)

O'Connell Street - to be turned into a 'living room', part under a transparent canopy with a greenway contraflow. So presumably this will mean an end to through-traffic as routine along its total length. It would be great to see a traffic plan for this.

Beach Tower/Jenkins Lane (car park) - cars out, residential in with outdoor performance space and presumably restoration of the medieval walls and tower to create "the Beach Tower Plaza" which is an appalling name. It's not clear if the entire car park area will be closed off.

Associated works include Presbytery on Georges Street

38LRT.jpg38LRU.jpg
    38LRV.jpg

Gateway Plaza (that word again) - Rice Bridge end of the quays, greenway gateway as it leaves Bilberry side, site of a statue (not the 200 foot hurler) general space for stuff.

Viking Triangle - further development with residential and other mixed development round a (wait for it) plaza adjoining Greyfriars friary.

38LRW.jpg

Parade Quay - the block behind Jordans Bar essentially, with new build facing Bailey's New Street/Friary. Central Hall to be renovated

38LRX.jpg

Lady Lane/Spring Garden Alley - spruce this up, two large empty properties to be re-purposed a hostel (high end!) and residential. Linear garden proposed for Spring Garden Alley, more new accommodation at Apple market end.

38LRY.jpg38LRZ.jpg

• Advertisement

Am the only one who thinks it is a bit dangerous to remove parking on Jenkins Lane? Would it not make sense to have a couple a small multistorey carparks there to bring people in. It will be important to counter the north wrath going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

BBM77 wrote: »
    Am the only one who thinks it is a bit dangerous to remove parking on Jenkins Lane? Would it not make sense to have a couple a small multistorey carparks there to bring people in. It will be important to counter the north wrath going forward.

I'm sure you're not, but the aim is to transform the current use of the spaces and bring more life to the city centre.

You won't have to bring as many people into the area if they live there already, and I think the objective is to change this from a place where you might park your car to a place you might live.

I'm in favour of any moves which promote more residential development in the city centre and a shift away from the current approach of building more and more houses on the outer fringes of the city.

hardybuck wrote:
    I'm in favour of any moves which promote more residential development in the city centre and a shift away from the current approach of building more and more houses on the outer fringes of the city.

Id say it 'll be well gentrified fairly soon tbh, the rest of us will just have to continue living outside of it

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Id say it 'll be well gentrified fairly soon tbh, the rest of us will just have to continue living outside of it

Gentrification - yeah maybe, but personally I'm impressed with the vision shown by the Council here.

Like a lot of Waterford exiles, it was hard not to be shocked by the state of the city centre during the last recession and up to a couple of years ago. Empty commercial units, dilapidated buildings and a hollow core devoid of life.

Thankfully life has begun to flow back into the area in the last two or three years in particular, notwithstanding the challenges faced this year with COVID.

With the NQs Project hopefully getting moving next year the Council should be commended for their efforts to continue the momentum and breathe more life into town.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Gentrification - yeah maybe, but personally I'm impressed with the vision shown by the Council here.

Like a lot of Waterford exiles, it was hard not to be shocked by the state of the city centre during the last recession and up to a couple of years ago. Empty commercial units, dilapidated buildings and a hollow core devoid of life.

Thankfully life has begun to flow back into the area in the last two or three years in particular, notwithstanding the challenges faced this year with COVID.

With the NQs Project hopefully getting moving next year the Council should be commended for their efforts to continue the momentum and breathe more life into town.

i am very concerned that we may not actually own much of it at the end of it though

I'm sure you're not, but the aim is to transform the current use of the spaces and bring more life to the city centre.

You won't have to bring as many people into the area if they live there already, and I think the objective is to change this from a place where you might park your car to a place you might live.

Fair point. As someone who grew up in the city centre I can see the benefits of living there. TBH, even now, still kind of miss living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

BBM77 wrote: »

north wrath.....yea, funny :rolleyes:

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://waterford-news.ie/2020/10/27/work-to-commence-on-kilmac-distillery-in-2021/
    Great development here for kilmacthomas and hopefully a great success

update

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40088255.html
    Planning permission has been approved to construct a distillery on the site of The Old Mill former woollen plant in Kilmacthomas, west Waterford.

When up and running, Gortinore Distillers & Co hopes to produce a million bottles of whiskey while creating 15 jobs. It will be Waterford's' third such facility alongside Waterford and Blackwater distilleries.

An Taisce have taken legal action against An Bord Pleanala and the State aimed at overturning the planning permission granted to a cheese manufacturing plant that would be located in Belview Science and Technology Park.

Their grounds include claims that environmental impacts of cheese production that weren't properly taken into account for the purposes of the Environmental Impact Assessment.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/an-taisce-seeks-to-overturn-permission-for-co-kilkenny-cheese-plant-1.4417834

So the cheese makers are not blessed? An Taisce full of vegans by the looks of it.
    The grounds of challenge include claims the environmental effects of the milk inputs for the cheese plant were not properly taken into account for the purposes of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Habitats Directives.

An EIA report submitted by the developer, Kilkenny Cheese Ltd, had noted the dairy herd is expected to increase from 1.4 million to 1.7 million cows by 2025 and that each cow was projected to produce more milk in that time, giving a projected increase of about 1.6 billion litres of milk by 2025, An Taisce, the National Trust for Ireland, says.

The report also noted, of the 450 million litres of milk required each year for the proposed plant from 2022, about 20 per cent is already in circulation and it will equate in total to about 4.5 per cent of the milk pool projected to be available in Ireland in 2025.

So it looks as if An Taisce's real target is the size of the national herd, if they can stop the processing sector they can stop herd expansion.

• Advertisement

An Taisce has long attracted criticism for its views and objections on planning.

They've been very successful in getting people's backs up instead of bringing people with them on planning and environmental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Probably not the right forum for this, a bit off topic, but while I see your list there can I also add the dog sh1t! Since COVID I've been living back in Waterford for the first time in about 10 years and the amount of dog sh1t, everywhere, on every pavement is truly astounding!

I used to come back once a month and for a week or two during the Summer/Christmas and only ever remember seeing the odd bit. You literally can't walk on any pavement in the city, without having to dodge a turd every 10 feet. What the hell is going on there?! :mad:

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Probably not the right forum for this, a bit off topic, but while I see your list there can I also add the dog sh1t! Since COVID I've been living back in Waterford for the first time in about 10 years and the amount of dog sh1t, everywhere, on every pavement is truly astounding!

I used to come back once a month and for a week or two during the Summer/Christmas and only ever remember seeing the odd bit. You literally can't walk on any pavement in the city, without having to dodge a turd every 10 feet. What the hell is going on there?! :mad:

I agree totally with this, but I think it's always been a problem. Definitely a lot more walking since Covid.

As a dog owner myself I think it's down to a lack of bins, and when you see it regularly lying around the place it becomes more socially acceptable to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

johnnykilo wrote: »

You must of came back from America with your pavements and turds but we still call them footpaths and dog shite here boy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any news on the Walsh Park Development ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I agree totally with this, but I think it's always been a problem. Definitely a lot more walking since Covid.

As a dog owner myself I think it's down to a lack of bins, and when you see it regularly lying around the place it becomes more socially acceptable to do it.

Lack of bins......it’s always someone else’s fault....!

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Lack of bins......it’s always someone else’s fault....!

If you have more bins you'll have more usage of them. Happy to discuss that with you on another thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

If you have more bins you'll have more usage of them. Happy to discuss that with you on another thread though.

Can dogs be trained to sh!t in bins now? If you are walking a dog bring a bag, pick the sh!t up and put it in the next bin you come across. It's not that hard (pardon the pun) really

tonc76 wrote: »
    Can dogs be trained to sh!t in bins now? If you are walking a dog bring a bag, pick the sh!t up and put it in the next bin you come across. It's not that hard (pardon the pun) really

Are you lecturing me on dog littering?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

tonc76 wrote: »

To be fair, walk around pretty much any part of Waterford city that is not the city centre and see how much ground you cover until you see a bin. I mean I get the logic is: if you don't put bins in place, you don't have to pay guys to empty them. But you save a few euro and leave the place in ****. Literally.

Advertisement