Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Waterford is on eco-eye (RTE1) this evening, programme is about Ireland 2040, spacial hubs etc. I expect it'll deal with us in about 30 seconds as is the way of RTE but you never know.

Did you get your expected 30 seconds?

It did not appear here :(

Cork and Limerick, yes, but Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Did you get your expected 30 seconds?

It did not appear here :(

Cork and Limerick, yes, but Waterford?

I saw it; we didn't get a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Typical. I saw a tweet which referenced us.

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/03/11/sufficiently-funded-university-is-a-must-for-the-region-says-ibec/

A few bits and pieces from IBEC
    In the review, Ibec calls for the upgrading of the N24 (Waterford to Limerick) and N25 (Rosslare to Cork) national primary roads “to ensure vital port access and greater collaboration between the three cities and metropolitan areas and drive the region’s growth, as a counterbalance to Dublin”.

The report also recommends the “accelerated delivery of an integrated sustainable transport across metropolitan Waterford, capable of supporting significant levels of population and employment growth”.

Further recommended regional road improvements include the N80 (which effectively runs from Tullamore to Enniscorthy) and the N11/N25 Oilgate to Rosslare road, linking into the M11, enhancing access to Rosslare Europort.
    Ibec has also recommended investment in “regional co-working smart e-hubs to embrace economic opportunities arising from new ways of working post-Covid, attract and retain high-value talent and provide resources and facilities to support towns and villages”.

Funding must be provided for “the future development and expansion of the region’s ports, including the facilitation of offshore renewable energy projects”, the review notes.

Meanwhile, the “right housing and tenure mix (e.g., apartment focus, rental sector, ageing population, students, social housing, affordable housing etc) must be provided for”.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Muttley79 wrote: »

Roofing O'Connell St. sounds pretty terrible. CPOing houses on O'Connell St. is legally pretty dicey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Roofing O'Connell St. sounds pretty terrible. CPOing houses on O'Connell St. is legally pretty dicey.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Muttley79 wrote: »

If that's their plans for the city what a total waste!

It's like communion money to WCC!

If that's their plans for the city what a total waste!

It's like communion money to WCC!

Ever hear the saying "it'd be a great country if you could roof it?"

Here is a plan to roof O' Connell St (an area of the city that has massive potential) and yet it's a waste. The roof over the Apple Market was a great idea but through traffic should have been removed to achieve the most benefit.

The alternative to regenerating the city centre is to keep expanding the city outwards which brings no value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

tonc76 wrote: »
    Ever hear the saying "it'd be a great country if you could roof it?"

Here is a plan to roof O' Connell St (an area of the city that has massive potential) and yet it's a waste. The roof over the Apple Market was a great idea but through traffic should have been removed to achieve the most benefit.

The alternative to regenerating the city centre is to keep expanding the city outwards which brings no value.

You mean because its such a run down dump it can't get any worse?

Its the ass end of town and does expand the city but back into an old run down part of town.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

tonc76 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

It can create a dark damp space. It actually doesnt rain that much in Waterford. The cold and wind is as much a reason people dont live outdoors as the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It can create a dark damp space. It actually doesnt rain that much in Waterford. The cold and wind is as much a reason people dont live outdoors as the rain.

I think you've got to consider what the area might be used for. Recently there has been efforts to put more life music and events down there, so this will encourage more moves in this regard.

Its the ass end of town and does expand the city but back into an old run down part of town.

Not at all. Yes it's run down but here's a plan to change it which could then spur a modernisation of the "old run down part of town! as you put it.

The potential of O' Connell St is to bring people into the city at night be that for bars, restaurants, clubs, theatre etc and for all of that to be under a roof. They could have heated outside seating etc thereby increasing the footprint of some of those businesses. Covered outdoor entertainment areas while "new" to Ireland are not a new phenomenon globally.

So it sounds pretty terrible as it might create a dark damp space?? What a negative outlook!

If it rains - sheltered
    If it's cold - outdoor heaters
    If it's windy - wind breakers

Yeah, you're right - pretty terrible :rolleyes:

Interested to hear about the potential CPO issues also if you can share?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

So...don’t improve it then? Let’s just leave it a run down dump forever. Great solution.

So...don’t improve it then? Let’s just leave it a run down dump forever. Great solution.

If people don't have the money to come into town to spend it then I don't see the point.

This is the built environment version of protesting about Covid restrictions by gathering in a group.

How do you know how much money there is?

This is the built environment version of protesting about Covid restrictions by gathering in a group.

How do you know how much money there is?

I don't but its fairly obvious people haven't been spending it in Waterford along with other towns and cities for a good few years now because of all the empty shops.

Which means a better shopping/retail/leisure "experience" is needed. Pent up demand. Keep the money here rather than it leaking out to Cork and Dublin/Kildare in particular.

A council of despair changes nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don't but its fairly obvious people haven't been spending it in Waterford along with other towns and cities for a good few years now because of all the empty shops.

With deposits increasing significantly during covid, there certainly could be pent up demand there, when all this moves on. creating opportunities to spend makes a lot of sense, online retail is also exploding, putting extra pressure on local businesses

• Advertisement

Which means a better shopping/retail/leisure "experience" is needed. Pent up demand. Keep the money here rather than it leaking out to Cork and Dublin/Kildare in particular.

A council of despair changes nothing.

Start by spending the money on easy free parking then.

But no the council would prefer to make it as difficult as possible for people to get into town and park a car to go shopping.

Maybe a council of despair but I do despair of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's not difficult to park. And why should it be free?

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's not difficult to park. And why should it be free?

Because you don't want to give people any reason not to come to Waterford and every reason not to go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Because you don't want to give people any reason not to come to Waterford and every reason not to go elsewhere.

Name an urban area/centre where there are no parking charges......? I would say locally parking charges are some of the lowest in the country. There are plenty of places where you can get parked for €5 for whole day. It would be close to that for an hour in cork or Dublin....is €5 going to make someone drive to Kilkenny, Wexford, cork Dublin for the day and spend up to €50 fuel/parking.....your argument is weak

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Name an urban area/centre where there are no parking charges......? I would say locally parking charges are some of the lowest in the country. There are plenty of places where you can get parked for €5 for whole day. It would be close to that for an hour in cork or Dublin....is €5 going to make someone drive to Kilkenny, Wexford, cork Dublin for the day and spend up to €50 fuel/parking.....your argument is weak

I shop in Dungarvan and get free parking, hour and a half free in Scanlon,s yard then free in Aldi or Lidl.

Imagine Aldi or Lidl charging for parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I shop in Dungarvan and get free parking, hour and a half free in Scanlon,s yard then free in Aldi or Lidl.

Imagine Aldi or Lidl charging for parking?

Silly comparison in fairness. The reason is the population is so small in Dungarvan giving parking free for an hour and a half is not a problem. Doing that in Waterford city would clog all parking spaces up.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Silly comparison in fairness. The reason is the population is so small in Dungarvan giving parking free for an hour and a half is not a problem. Doing that in Waterford city would clog all parking spaces up.

That suggests paid parking is used to stop people from coming to Waterford? Why else would the parking spaces be clogged if parking was free? Free parking would only be clogged if there weren't enough parking spaces for all those that wanted to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

The argument is extremely weak but a lot of people seem to have this mindset.

Not really sure what to do in these cases? Maybe the only way is to provide 'free' parking but with a catch? Maybe spend €20+ in shops in town and your parking is free or something like that?

Parking in Waterford is basically free but you just cannot convince some people.

Deiseen wrote: »
    The argument is extremely weak but a lot of people seem to have this mindset.

Not really sure what to do in these cases? Maybe the only way is to provide 'free' parking but with a catch? Maybe spend €20+ in shops in town and your parking is free or something like that?

Parking in Waterford is basically free but you just cannot convince some people.

I used to work in the center, I'd take some convincing it was free or that there was enough of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

That suggests paid parking is used to stop people from coming to Waterford? Why else would the parking spaces be clogged if parking was free? Free parking would only be clogged if there weren't enough parking spaces for all those that wanted to park.

Ahhhh, yeah!

Advertisement