Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost my passport and wallet in cardiff, need to fly home

Options
  • 06-07-2018 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

long story short we were in cardiff on business and i ended up losing my wallet and passport the night of the england match as i was absolutely goosed. luckily my driving license was back at the hotel. aside from going to london (very inconvenient as my flight is at midday) to get an emergency travel document, what are my options? can i use my irish driving license to fly from cardiff to dublin? will i get any grief from the gardai/bni? many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're flying with Ryanair, you're goosed.

"A driving licence is not accepted as a travel document on international flights. The travel documents required for domestic flights differs from country to country. Flights between the UK and Ireland require a passport, a drivers licence is NOT accepted."

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Travel-documentation/Are-driving-licenses-accepted-as-a-travel-document-on-Ryanair-flights

• Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If flying with Ryanair it's passport only. Aer Lingus will accept driving licence.

Ferry could be another option, driving licence fine for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Depends who you’re flying with. Ryanair insist on passport although a friend did manage to blag his way on a flight back from Glasgow a few years ago in very similar circumstances- although he only had a print out of his DL

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dougalmcguire1

flybe is the airline

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

flybe is the airline

You'll be fine. Keep your boarding pass for the passport check in Dublin airport, the driving licence and the (UK flight) boarding pass means you will get through no problem.

From the flybe website ....

Republic of Ireland travel

British and Irish citizens must have a form of photographic ID which proves their nationality/citizenship for immigration purposes e.g. a valid passport or full/provisional photographic driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dougalmcguire1

grand, thanks for the tips. just out of curiosity, how do they check the validity of the license? do they scan it or just have a look? on second thought it doesn't seem very secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They don't scan it - once your name and photo is on it that's all that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If your in Cardiff you could also just head to the port and get the ferry from Fishguard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If your in Cardiff you could also just head to the port and get the ferry from Fishguard

They have a flight already booked with Flybe and a driving licence.

That’s all the ID they need.

Why tell someone to go use a ferry unnecessarily.

OP you’re fine - just go to the airport today with your drivers licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

LXFlyer wrote: »

Why tell someone to go use a ferry unnecessarily.
    Because they asked for options maybe???

Advertisement