Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does HAP inspection include balconies?

Options
  • 06-07-2018 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if there are any elements of the HAP inspection that relate to an apartment's balcony. My balcony is made of decking and is rotted in parts.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Brae100 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if there are any elements of the HAP inspection that relate to an apartment's balcony. My balcony is made of decking and is rotted in parts.

I'm not aware that HAP specifically checks balconies- however, a landlord is legally obliged to ensure the upkeep of the exterior and grounds of a property- which obviously would include the balcony. In the case of an apartment- while the owner is legally responsible for the upkeep of the exterior- this in turn is the responsibility of the Management Company- rather than the owner of the leasehold.

So- the balcony should be repaired- the property would, arguably, fail an inspection on the basis of a rotten decking if it were inspected- however, it would fail on grounds other than the HAP inspection itself.

Note- there is an undertaking to inspect all HAP properties within 8 months of the commencement of a tenancy. Whether this comes to pass or not- remains to be seen, but its certainly not happening on this schedule as it stands........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I certainly hope so.
    The structure has to be in a good state of repair so if the inspector notices any sign of structural degradation then he/she may request you to have an engineers report carried out.

If I was you, I would be onto the management company ASAP. Co sidering the balcony collapse in the states a few years back, this area of apartment living has seen an increased awareness and as a landlord, you could end up in prison should it fail when you knew there was a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually the tenant. I'm not bothered that the decking on the balcony is rotting, I am more concerned about the amount of time and effort it would take to get repaired and the hassle it would cause both me and the landlord. There is no structural damage, it is just cosmetic, as it is just decking laid down on solid concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There is no structural damage, it is just cosmetic, as it is just decking laid down on solid concrete.
    Perhaps stack it to one side for the inspection?

Advertisement