Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I’ve thought of a great app/website

Options
  • 06-07-2018 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

- what you do next ? I’m not a techy guy but I feel I’ve got a good idea. What are my next moves ? How do I ‘protect ‘ my idea ? I realise this is a bit vague, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ta -Edit - I’ve got very little money behind me.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Reach out to some investors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Share the idea on here or elsewhere and get some unbiased feedback on its worth so as not to waste loads of your time, energy and money finding that out for yourself.

Anyone who has the resources to copy your idea are probably too busy with their own things to worry about stealing it.

This may sound harsh but chances are it's not a great idea for one reason or another - maybe it's already been done, maybe it's not commercially viable, maybe the timing is wrong, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It seems anti-intuitive but stop thinking about protecting your idea.

The likelihood that your idea is an original, groundbreaking and a world beater is about zero. People are very unlikely to steal it. The trick is in the execution ie. doing it better, faster, cheaper.

What you need is for people in the know to kick the hell out of the tyres of your plan. iCabbi did exactly that here and got feedback worth gold and have recently moved offices years later so look to be up and running along very nicely. Thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68173835

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Buy a domain
    Setup a wordpress or similar website
    Test your idea. If you can charge people great, you probably have something, maybe a business. 
    That much costs a little time and maybe €100-200. 
    When you have 100 customers willing to pay you for your widget, come back here and ask for help scaling your idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

tricky D wrote: »
    It seems anti-intuitive but stop thinking about protecting your idea.

The likelihood that your idea is an original, groundbreaking and a world beater is about zero. People are very unlikely to steal it. The trick is in the execution ie. doing it better, faster, cheaper.

What you need is for people in the know to kick the hell out of the tyres of your plan. iCabbi did exactly that here and got feedback worth gold and have recently moved offices years later so look to be up and running along very nicely. Thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68173835
    So good to read that thread.
    Shame there isn't more of those on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

icabbi have just been bought out by Renault, congrats to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

rekluse wrote: »
    - what you do next ? I’m not a techy guy but I feel I’ve got a good idea. What are my next moves ? How do I ‘protect ‘ my idea ? I realise this is a bit vague, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ta -Edit - I’ve got very little money behind me.

Regardless of how little/much money you have, don't spend a cent until you get some honest feedback from someone other than your family/friends.

After that, even if you think you have the next Uber, spend the bare minimum to get yourself a Minimum Viable Product - something which allows you to get feedback from real customers.

Keep iterating based on customer feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Funny how there's been such an upsurge in fly-by-night, one-post wonders on the forum over the last year or so. Must be all the coverage on startups and the glamourising of entrepreneurship reaching peak levels!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Funny how there's been such an upsurge in fly-by-night, one-post wonders on the forum over the last year or so. Must be all the coverage on startups and the glamourising of entrepreneurship reaching peak levels!
    Maybe he's too busy sunning it up on his yacht! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

new series of Dragons Den, always a surge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement