Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on NES and SNES Mini Consoles

• 06-07-2018 4:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31

Are they s**** in a bucket or worth it? Saw one of the reviews from the video quality geeks at My Life in Gaming where they hammered the NES mini. Those guys are kind of pedantic though.

NES Mini for someone who wants to play in decent picture quality, with fairly accurate sound and the ability to swap games on the device. Yay or nay?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not exactly framemeister but it's a massive step up in quality from the other garbage retro consoles available.

What you are getting is a plain clean HDMI signal and fairly accurate emulation. No fancy bells and whistles on picture quality but it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

If you hack either the SNES or NES mini you can also clean up the screen filters they have by default. Turning off gaussian blur in the CRT filter is an improvement. Nothing amazing but for your average person it's a step up.

You can of course do other hacky things with it, but a google search will help you there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 DeusVolt

Thanks to both of you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Highly recommend the snes mini, I've mine hooked up to my PC monitor via hdmi. The emulation is great and with the controllers provided it feels like playing a real system with no noticeable input lag. You can save state and rewind which is great for practicing shmups.

Once you hack it to play more games you'll not be bothered going back to digging for carts and lumping around big CRT monitors. My only complaint is the leads for the controllers are too short, it's worth buying some extensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Once you hack it to play more games you'll not be bothered going back to digging for carts and lumping around big CRT monitors. .

Woah there :D

The Snes mini is a great little unit but personally if I want to play snes games emulated on an LCD I'll just use an emulator on a PC. It can never replace an actual snes via a CRT firing electrons at phosphors. You just can't emulate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Unless you're Inviere in which case, you can.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Unless you're Inviere in which case, you can.

I've always said original hardware, on a crt, via RGB, is the definitive way to play old games. My quest is to dispel the notion that emulation hasn't come along since the days of Zsnes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Inviere wrote: »
    I've always said original hardware, on a crt, via RGB, is the definitive way to play old games. My quest is to dispel the notion that emulation hasn't come along since the days of Zsnes :D

Apologies, I know you have often said that before, sorry couldn't resist. Promise it was tongue in cheek, just didn't put a smiley on the post, in my drunken haze.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apologies, I know you have often said that before, sorry couldn't resist. Promise it was tongue in cheek, just didn't put a smiley on the post, in my drunken haze.

Don't worry!
    He is now an unrepentant emulation apologist and is trying to undermine retro gaming!
    Burn him!
    Burn him!
    He's a witch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't worry!
    He is now an unrepentant emulation apologist and is trying to undermine retro gaming!
    Burn him!
    Burn him!
    He's a witch!

Quiet there SD slot boy

memoria-micro-sd-16gb-clase-4-kignston.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Quiet there SD slot boy

memoria-micro-sd-16gb-clase-4-kignston.jpg

Beetch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

o1s1n wrote: »
    Woah there :D

The Snes mini is a great little unit but personally if I want to play snes games emulated on an LCD I'll just use an emulator on a PC. It can never replace an actual snes via a CRT firing electrons at phosphors. You just can't emulate that.

Ahhh I agree man, I might be a bit biased since I've had a tonne of CRT's die on me in the last few years.

I had a lovely 27" square trinitron that did me for ages but since it died I haven't been able to find one that I could offer the same affection :D

I must be very lucky because I've never had a crt kick the bucket, flat panel displays on the other hand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only CRT I've ever had crap out on me was the one in my Vectrex :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    Only CRT I've ever had crap out on me was the one in my Vectrex :(

You mean 'my Vectrex' :D:D:D

<on topic> NES & SNES mini are great little yoke, sure you can build a Pi based one but these are just that bit 'nicer' for what ever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hack it and get a couple 8bitdo controllers and you have a beast of a mini system.

Advertisement