Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drought....Hosepipe Ban.... next they'll be calling for Water meters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jennehy wrote: »
    I refuse to use a toilet that contains unflushed faeces. We are not living in a third world country.

You do know the brown and yellow poem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dense wrote:
    Why not build more reservoirs if fixing leaks cant be done?

With what money?

dense wrote: »
    We already have a very low household consumption rate compared to countries which do use domestic meters.

But the hosepipe ban and night restrictions should really have been discussed and brought in much earlier to demonstrate the apparent serious situation.

Its seems very last minute.

Why not build more reservoirs if fixing leaks cant be done?

Hindsight.

Large families? I don't know how children are going to pay?

Rest of society have to pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Daisy78 wrote: »
    I cannot for the life of me understand why people don't get this. If I hear the "but it rains all year round in this country what do we need a hosepipe ban for" il tear my hair out. There is a whole infrastructural system, which is currently at breaking point, needed to store, treat and distribute the water between the point of abstraction to your tap. But by all means take your drinking water directly from the lake if that's what you want.

There is actually a volume issue on the Shannon at the moment. Ardnacrusha hydroelectric station has stopped production because of flow issues. When the tide is out water levels are extremely low in Limerick City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How do countries that regularly get little rain manage? We are declaring am emergency after 3 weeks without rain.

Gael23 wrote:
    How do countries that regularly get little rain manage? We are declaring am emergency after 3 weeks without rain.

The use of more grey water systems maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    With what money?
    Of the top of my head:

€.7billion of foreign aid every year. Cut it by 50%. Its a waste of money.

€.6billion annual fines impending for Ireland stupidly signing up to stupid EU emissions targets set for Ireland, a cause for those with too much time on their hands and one which NO Irish citizen involved is able to quantify Irelands alleged contribution to climate change, or how altering Ireland's emissions will allegedly affect climate change.

So before we even look at corporation tax lets not be here pretending this country hasn't got a few billion to spare that could be spent on some more reservoirs.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2017-10-17/210/

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-faces-annual-eu-energy-fines-of-600m-36857141.html

dense wrote:
    So before we even look at corporation tax lets not be here pretending this country hasn't got a few billion to spare that could be spent on some more reservoirs.

I'd be more inclined to go with the acceptance of partial payment of corporate tax receipts with stocks and shares via a sovereign wealth fund, for starters, than your own to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

most houses found me here, have their own wells, for even during non drought season, there are water breaks, and people are making sure they have enough, but we all have roofs with down pipes, having water holding facility to do the non essential, is great to have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

so, if people use less water we'll be grand, which we already are cuz of the ban, then what would we be getting charged for?

nothing. the money would just disappear into the black hole that irish water was from day 1, act before day 1, as they spent a fortune on marketing nonsense before it launched. just like everything this government implement. all these new taxes just go out of the pockets of ordinary people and off to god knows where - a consultant team, a ceo, basically some rich faceless gombeen. we'd still have all the issues currently, leaks etc.

this is just typical middle class FG/FF supporter nonsense, point the finger at those down below on the socioeconomic ladder saying I told you so, it's all your fault, you want everything for free.

any problems we have regarding resources in this country are because of the boys up top being incompetent and corrupt to an insane degree.

rte is running a huge deficit, they collect a license fee AND sell ads. buseirann is practically bust. the banks got bailed out. our health service is a mess.

do you see a pattern here? are people seriously thinking that the money from the water charge would have made any difference? oh, so they could borrow money, then raise the charge, then what? fix the leaks?when? maybe make it part of Ireland 2040? or maybe 2060?

ffs anyone thinking that a few dry weeks causing a water crisis is down to anything but pure incompetence is really hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Gael23 wrote: »

They have systems in place that expect there to be little to no rain. Where I am I've not seem a day of rain so far this year and I don't expect to there be any rain until probably December yet all the water sprinklers go off on the hour every hour, there's fountains galore and even the odd decorative waterfall. Currently it's 45°C outside.

Ireland is not geared up for a drought because it doesn't make sense to have the infrastructure in place to deal with a prolonged dry spell when such things rarely happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

With what money?

Our armed forces are mainly for vanity. Cut defense by 50% for 3 years and all infrastructure upgrading can be achieved with the funds saved. I am absolutely serious.

Defense is just shy of a billion a year. Infrastructure cost determined to come to a bit over a billion by Irish Water (cumulative expenditure to 2021 in terms of upgrades).

Our armed forces are mainly for vanity. Cut defense by 50% for 3 years and all infrastructure upgrading can be achieved with the funds saved. I am absolutely serious.

Defense is just shy of a billion a year. Infrastructure cost determined to come to a bit over a billion by Irish Water (cumulative expenditure to 2021 in terms of upgrades).

whats the chances of this being done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you just decide to cut something like defense for 3 years, the cost of recovery would far exceed the savings.

That would cost us money.

whats the chances of this being done?

At the moment, zero.

The government was never interested in investing in the water infrastructure. That has been abundantly clear. They'd much rather have their navy dealing with migrants in the Med than spend money on something nobody can see.

Their interest in Irish Water was mainly to save money, for such costs not to be on the public exchequer. The fact that Irish Water, as a private company, could borrow money on the open market was another major bonus.

For this to be a non-zero chance we need to have politicians who want to make a difference to the country and not just their own CVs. At the moment we have FF-FG-Labor on one side, harping on about needing water charges, and Solidarity-PBP-SF saying that there shouldn't be water charges, and not a single person producing a plan.

For instance, the Foreign aid budget wouldn't be cut because politicians wouldn't want to be criticized by the media or their friends in the EU. I'm sure there are vested interests in the defense budget. There's no benefit as such for them to countenance cutting either in order to fund water infrastructure, as has been the case for the last half century.
    Boggles wrote: »
    If you just decide to cut something like defense for 3 years, the cost of recovery would far exceed the savings.

That would cost us money.

Or cut it by 25% for 6 years if you are really concerned about the impact on our APCs. You could get rid of our land army altogether and nobody would notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

seagull wrote: »
    It's not the fault of Irish water that the leaks are so bad. It's due to serial underinvestment in the water supply infrastructure over decades. It's one thing to go digging up and fixing the pipes in a rural area. Can you imagine the uproar if they were to dig up the whole of Dublin to replace the old leaky pipes. They have a limited budget, so they can only repair so much.

And before the inevitable assumptions and accusations - No, I have absolutely no association with Irish water.

No manpower or inconvenience problems putting in meters.

Currently, Ratoath seems to be managing the hassle. Seems to be extensive piping/repiping going on. I vaguely remember Bird Gais managed to put in new pipes all the way from Dublin to Kinsale.

It’s brinkmanship, pure and simple.They could start at the reservoirs and work out from there repairing and or replacing.
    Or just bloody start.

I'd be more inclined to go with the acceptance of partial payment of corporate tax receipts with stocks and shares via a sovereign wealth fund, for starters, than your own to be honest

Fine.

But why ask where the money is supposed to come from if you've already got solutions?

Do you now agree there's no shortage of money here to build new reservoirs?

Or cut it by 25% for 6 years if you are really concerned about the impact on our APCs. You could get rid of our land army altogether and nobody would notice.

I have a better idea.

Roughly 25% of defence is spent on pensions.

Before we sack 1000s of soldiers without severance and prohibit them from social welfare we first get them to machine gun the ex soldiers and bury them at sea.

I'd be confident every last cent we save would be put into water infrastructure with absolute no wastage.

Actually no that's a load of bollix.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    I have a better idea.

Roughly 25% of defence is spent on pensions.

Before we sack 1000s of soldiers without severance and prohibit them from social welfare we first get them to machine gun the ex soldiers and bury them at sea.

I'd be confident every last cent we save would be put into water infrastructure with absolute no wastage.

Actually no that's a load of bollix.

Is there a country that you're planning to invade, Boggles, or do you just like to have the 1000s of soldiers simply for the parades?

Is there a country that you're planning to invade, Boggles, or do you just like to have the 1000s of soldiers simply for the parades?

I couldn't give a ****e about the Army.

I'm asking you for a costing on your savings immediately and mid term.

Fine.

But why ask where the money is supposed to come from if you've already got solutions?

Do you now agree there's no shortage of money here to build new reservoirs?

because maybe my own opinions and ideas are as important anyone elses, including yours.

once again, money and its creation, a very interesting topic for discussion, are we doing this correctly and in a democratic manner? there doesnt seem to be a shortage of money on this planet, but is this money being equally distributed?

because maybe my own opinions and ideas are as important anyone elses, including yours.

Sure, and no offence intended but you didn't give an opinion on whether building more reservoirs was an option worth exploring, you immediately asked where the money was going to come from.

We all know there's no shortage of a few bob. :)

Sure, and no offence intended but you didn't give an opinion on whether building more reservoirs was an option worth exploring, you immediately asked where the money was going to come from.

We all know there's no shortage of a few bob. :)

im willing to entertain all options at this point in dealing with this issue, i do think we should be investing heavily in grey water systems though, these should also be heavily subsidised, as some systems are extremely expensive. of course leakage and storage options such as reservoirs should also be investigated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BarryD2 wrote: »
    FYI, we got a new well bored and pump installed last year as previous wells were failing. Total cost c €7,500 plus a good bit of work. Grant €2031. That leaves us paying €5,000+ and running costs etc. That amounts to more than 30 YEARS of your miserably low average €150 annual public water bills.

Put this on top of significant previous (ungranted) expenditure on wells, pumps and water treatment.

People who live on public water supplies have little concept of how lucky they are and it'll only hit home when the ta ps dry up. Then the sh*t will hit the fan.

That is a real urban viewpoint. A great many dwellings are located far from public water & sewage systems.

I was thinking back to my too-many rentals in Ireland.. And always rural.. Of 8 only 3 were on mains water/sewerage. Two were even on streams and bog run off..The bathwater was brown..

Here we are on mains water, piped under the ocean..Never asked re sewage .... Maybe same? Before this dwelling was installed the old house were still on a bucket I gather.best not to ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was out walking round some of our fields a few days ago. The ground is like a rock.

When it does rain again, Id say the countryside will absorb a serious amount of water before it really starts to flow into the rivers and lakes in volume.

The real danger is flash floods. When the ground is rock hard and cannot absorb rain. This is how it is now. So rivers will fill fast
    When I was in Donegal, , I saw that a field below where the landlord has his small twin lambs for safety, had suffered a flash flood and was deep in water, Spent an hour wading rescuing the lambs as I could not raise him on the phone. Just too much rain ran off the hill for the land to take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Graces7 wrote: »
    The real danger is flash floods. When the ground is rock hard and cannot absorb rain. This is how it is now. So rivers will fill fast
    When I was in Donegal, , I saw that a field below where the landlord has his small twin lambs for safety, had suffered a flash flood and was deep in water, Spent an hour wading rescuing the lambs as I could not raise him on the phone. Just too much rain ran off the hill for the land to take
    Was it a big field that you spent an hour in? Were they the only things in it,no ewe:confused:

Crea wrote: »
    There is actually a volume issue on the Shannon at the moment. Ardnacrusha hydroelectric station has stopped production because of flow issues. When the tide is out water levels are extremely low in Limerick City.

Water levels appear to be ok in Plassey and Limerick city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

so, if people use less water we'll be grand, which we already are cuz of the ban, then what would we be getting charged for?

nothing. the money would just disappear into the black hole that irish water was from day 1, act before day 1, as they spent a fortune on marketing nonsense before it launched. just like everything this government implement. all these new taxes just go out of the pockets of ordinary people and off to god knows where - a consultant team, a ceo, basically some rich faceless gombeen. we'd still have all the issues currently, leaks etc.

this is just typical middle class FG/FF supporter nonsense, point the finger at those down below on the socioeconomic ladder saying I told you so, it's all your fault, you want everything for free.

any problems we have regarding resources in this country are because of the boys up top being incompetent and corrupt to an insane degree.

rte is running a huge deficit, they collect a license fee AND sell ads. buseirann is practically bust. the banks got bailed out. our health service is a mess.

do you see a pattern here? are people seriously thinking that the money from the water charge would have made any difference? oh, so they could borrow money, then raise the charge, then what? fix the leaks?when? maybe make it part of Ireland 2040? or maybe 2060?

ffs anyone thinking that a few dry weeks causing a water crisis is down to anything but pure incompetence is really hard to believe.

Thats just a nonsensical rant tbf.
    We wont "be grand" if people use less water, we will have the minimum for everyone during this historic period of drought.
    You cant argue both sides of it, we will still be losing ~50% of the water, so the money will allow IW to borrow to fix that.

No money is just disappearing, stop spouting populist nonsense. Next you will be asking the "fat cat bankers" to pay.

The "few dry weeks" are now 7 weeks of ZERO rain in many areas.

If we had 7 weeks of snow would you think the government incompetent because our infrastructure couldnt handle that unprecedented weather?

You would be *exactly* the person bitching and moaning if IW spent money to isolate us from once in 40 year weather conditions.

Pay your way and stop blaming "the man" for everything.

They have systems in place that expect there to be little to no rain. Where I am I've not seem a day of rain so far this year and I don't expect to there be any rain until probably December yet all the water sprinklers go off on the hour every hour, there's fountains galore and even the odd decorative waterfall. Currently it's 45°C outside.

Ireland is not geared up for a drought because it doesn't make sense to have the infrastructure in place to deal with a prolonged dry spell when such things rarely happen.

Nice to see someone with some sense on here.

• Advertisement

im willing to entertain all options at this point in dealing with this issue, i do think we should be investing heavily in grey water systems though, these should also be heavily subsidised, as some systems are extremely expensive. of course leakage and storage options such as reservoirs should also be investigated

Before deciding on what to invest in there needs to be an appraisal of where water that is being produced is going.

The main problem concerns Dublin right now and the basic issue is that the raw material is in short supply.

Before we rush into any half baked subsided national grey water collection schemes we need figures to demonstrate the proportion of water produced versus leaked, and how the remainder is split between domestic and business usage, to determine the proportion of treated which can be substituted by grey water.

Total household/prrsonal water use is so low to begin with (compared to the OECD average) and to what it was once thought to be (courtesy of analysing meters ironically), it may not be viable to worry about subsidised grey water harvesting. Or maybe it is, the powers that be don't seem too interested in it though.

The other point for us to weigh up is whether knee jerk reactions to an odd extended dry spell are worthy of becoming policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Before deciding on what to invest in there needs to be an appraisal of where water that is being produced is going.

The main problem concerns Dublin right now and the basic issue is that the raw material is in short supply.

Before we rush into any half baked subsided national grey water collection schemes we need figures to demonstrate the proportion of water produced versus leaked, and how the remainder is split between domestic and business usage, to determine the proportion of treated which can be substituted by grey water.

Total household/prrsonal water use is so low to begin with (compared to the OECD average) and to what it was once thought to be (courtesy of analysing meters ironically), it may not be viable to worry about subsidised grey water harvesting. Or maybe it is, the powers that be don't seem too interested in it though.

The other point for us to weigh up is whether knee jerk reactions to an odd extended dry spell are worthy of becoming policy.

There is nothing complex about the situation - the problems is mains leakage which leaves the ball firmly in Irish Water's court. The following links explain it all.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/07/12/truth-comes-dropping-slow/

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mains-supply-awash-with-leaks-behind-dublin-water-shortage-1.3561620

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

This dry spell definetly isn't helping but the problem is with the system. The amount wasted is crazy.

We seem to have hosepipe ban talked about regularly allbe it not nationally.
    During the snow there was talks of running out of water

railer201 wrote: »
    There is nothing complex about the situation - the problems is mains leakage which leaves the ball firmly in Irish Water's court. The following links explain it all.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/07/12/truth-comes-dropping-slow/

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mains-supply-awash-with-leaks-behind-dublin-water-shortage-1.3561620

It's well known that IW has not tackled the leaks, in fact their business plan barely mentioned fixing mains leaks. It was going to take 25 years to get leaks down to industry norms.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/25-years-for-irish-water-just-to-fix-leaking-pipes-31004435.html

My point would be that more storage/supply would be money far better spent than trying to aimlessly go around trying to detect and repair leaks and with more immediate results.

My point would be that more storage/supply would be money far better spent than trying to aimlessly go around trying to detect and repair leaks and with more immediate results.

If its immediate results you want then we are right back to people using less water. Its also the only free approach.

It's well known that IW has not tackled the leaks, in fact their business plan barely mentioned fixing mains leaks. It was going to take 25 years to get leaks down to industry norms.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/25-years-for-irish-water-just-to-fix-leaking-pipes-31004435.html

Irish Water weren't very forthcoming about the fact that half of their processed water is in fact lost mostly through mains leakages and 25 years seems a very generous timescale for leakages to be reduced to industry norms.

As I understand it their processing plants are working to maximum capacity, so locating and remedying mains leaks would appear to be require immediate attention and, with somewhat less urgency, sourcing more raw water from the Shannon or elsewhere.

The public will no doubt help them on the way along with conservation, but the ball is firmly in their court on this one. It's their gig, what they were set up to do.

The public will no doubt help them on the way along with conservation, but the ball is firmly in their court on this one. It's their gig, what they were set up to do.

and what water meters and water charges were supposed to directly & indirectly allow them to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Drought is over. Pissing in wesht Clare for hours...weather's crap ;);)

GreeBo wrote: »
    and what water meters and water charges were supposed to directly & indirectly allow them to do.

Water charges as they stood only covered the administration of same. It's up to government and IW to come up with a means to fund it - we couldn't afford motorways either yet the money was found to build them.

If its immediate results you want then we are right back to people using less water. Its also the only free approach.

No, to deal with this properly there should have been a ban on hosepipes weeks ago along night restrictions.

Rain hasn't been forecast for weeks but nothing was done.

The "free approach" is working very well here when compared any other developed country charging for water.

The following is a graphic from climate activists outlining personal water usage.

Ireland ranks extremelywaterusagestats.jpg well at around 80 litres a day.

https://catholicclimatemovement.global/252-page-curriculum-designed-to-teach-laudato-si-encyclical-to-ninth-to-12th-graders/

https://www.newstalk.com/Average-Irish-person-uses-half-the-water-previously-estimated-says-Irish-Water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Irish Water's old business plan mentions that they had a goal of reducing water leakage from 49% to under 38% by 2021. Table 4.6 page 21. And Appendix 1.
    And replacing lead pipes, and cutting boil water notices to 0.

And they argue that part of the reason that providing water costs twice as much in Ireland as in the UK is because we've massively too many water treatment plants (Table 2.3) Northern Ireland has 24 water treatment plants, Scottish water 256 (bigger area and population than Ireland). The republic has 856.

Irish local politicians of any party don't spend money on sewers and water pipes. They want their names in photo shoots, and sewers don't accomplish this.

Athlone's divided by the Shannon and it still has water service issues and boil water notices occuring, and night-time water cutoffs this week. Places on a height like the train station often have the toilets inoperable due to low pressure.

Households can still be charged for excess water use, that occurs beyond the water meter boundary beyond 213,000 liters in a year starting in 2019, so you might not want to immediately tear up that Irish water paperwork.

Water charges as they stood only covered the administration of same. It's up to government and IW to come up with a means to fund it - we couldn't afford motorways either yet the money was found to build them.

They were needed to allow us to borrow off the governments budget to fix the leaks.
    No, to deal with this properly there should have been a ban on hosepipes weeks ago along night restrictions.

Rain hasn't been forecast for weeks but nothing was done.

The "free approach" is working very well here when compared any other developed country charging for water.

The following is a graphic from climate activists outlining personal water usage.

Ireland ranks extremely well at around 80 litres a day.

https://catholicclimatemovement.global/252-page-curriculum-designed-to-teach-laudato-si-encyclical-to-ninth-to-12th-graders/

https://www.newstalk.com/Average-Irish-person-uses-half-the-water-previously-estimated-says-Irish-Water

I'd suggest your figures are out of date for 2 reasons.
    1) They are from 2006
    2) The 80L/day is nowhere near the allowance IW were saying was needed per person.

Water charges as they stood only covered the administration of same.

This is total rot.

This is total rot.

Over 80,000 posts - 8 mega threads on Irish Water in the Politics Cafe forum, I suggest you read them.

I'd suggest your figures are out of date for 2 reasons.
    1) They are from 2006
    2) The 80L/day is nowhere near the allowance IW were saying was needed per person.

1) If there is a more up to date graphic of personal usage by country I'd like to see it.
    I doubt we will find anything to show that consumption is lower than here for countries of a similar standard of living.

2) Determining an allowance matrix is a separate subject.

The 80 litres a a day has since been borne out by a subsequent report from the CSO. Disregarding outliers, (which IW and the CRU does in these instances, see Oireachtas Committee proceedings) the c250litres per household still stands.

The figures show that just 0.3% of metered customers used 12% of metered water. 3.4% of users accounted for 31% of all metered water.

The median figure for all households, which is less sensitive to such distortions, was 252 litres a day.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0425/870162-water-usage-figure/

ressem wrote: »
    Irish Water's old business plan mentions that they had a goal of reducing water leakage from 49% to under 38% by 2021. Table 4.6 page 21. And Appendix 1.
    And replacing lead pipes, and cutting boil water notices to 0.

And they argue that part of the reason that providing water costs twice as much in Ireland as in the UK is because we've massively too many water treatment plants (Table 2.3) Northern Ireland has 24 water treatment plants, Scottish water 256 (bigger area and population than Ireland). The republic has 856.

Its odd that Dublin has just 4 main water treatment plants then according to this....

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-water-waste-and-environment-your-drinking-water-managing-our-water-supplies/how-1

The explanation of course is that this 800+ treatment plants include hundreds of local remote pumping stations required by necessity because the network is so leaky that it cannot withstand high pressure.

And experimenting with reducing pressure is one of the approaches IW has outlined as a means of reducing leaks. Less pressure means more pumps.

Aside from all that, the leakage rate keeps going up year on year, not coming down.

So this has been no success story.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/water-lost-hits-761m-litres-per-day-despite-investment-36786983.html

Over 80,000 posts - 8 mega threads on Irish Water in the Politics Cafe forum, I suggest you read them.

No need seeing as I was active on them all. I know what I’m talking about. Those claiming water revenue would only cover admin costs had included the setup costs, which are only a once off cost. Innocent mistake I’m sure.

No need seeing as I was active on them all. I know what I’m talking about. Those claiming water revenue would only cover admin costs had included the setup costs, which are only a once off cost. Innocent mistake I’m sure.

Sure, it's a rarity to meet a boards poster who doesn't - here's a link for you.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ge16-fact-check-election-2016-water-charges-irish-water-2622813-Feb2016/

Basically the assertion is largely true, water charges as they stood would only cover the admistration costs. Far from your bald assertion of total rot.

Sure, it's a rarity to meet a boards poster who doesn't - here's a link for you.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ge16-fact-check-election-2016-water-charges-irish-water-2622813-Feb2016/

Basically the assertion is largely true, water charges as they stood would only cover the admistration costs. Far from your bald assertion of total rot.

I assume that you actually read the article and understand the difference between one off costs and running costs?

• Advertisement

I assume that you actually read the article and understand the difference between one off costs and running costs?

It's you who needs to read the article - particularly the summary - which confirms what I was saying as largely true. The water charges as they stood wouldn't do a whole lot more than cover the administration charges.

Advertisement