Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blackbird, the new movie from michael flatley

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I just checked and Eric Roberts has 687 acting credits on IMDb. I knew he had a tendency to turn up half cut for any old guff, but yikes. He's either very rich or terrible with money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

his credits for 2022 are bizarre. He has 9 films completed, 47 in production and 22 filming. How is that even possible? is he doing one day on each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Bless me father for I have sinned...and I am about to sin again.

😂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That

looks

FANTASTIC!!!!

Hahaha. Oh God. There is enough cheese there to bankrupt Avonmore.

Dancelord Productions!!! I think I broke my exclamation mark key

That is so getting a watch.

I mean if you have a fantastic location like Hyde Castle, why would you not use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He was brilliant in Mr Brightside even with zero dialogue.

The Granny smith munching alone was worth the fee.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

I went to the cinema earlier and the trailer for "Blackbird" came on........absolutely hilarious, it's Tugg speedman kind of comedy Gold, and what makes it so funny is theyre not even playing it for laughs. Honestly I can't wait, this could sweep the boards at the razzies.

Flatley was on BBC Breakfast this morning promoting the film. They played the full trailer before interviewing him. The man is just complete cringe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

For sheer curiosity alone, I’d consider watching it. More interesting than another dc/marvel movie, for me anyway.

I was gonna ask was anyone willing to go see this......fair play for taking the hit. Let us know what it's like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There was a press screening this morning apparently, so we should be getting some reviews shortly.

My money is on it actually being quite boring - even with vanity projects, most bad films are just 'plain old bad' rather than the much rarer 'funny bad'. Happy to be proven wrong and for it to be a campy riot... although the odds of it actually being 'good' or 'good adjacent' are minuscule to non-existent 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I thought this would never see the light of day.

Looks like a complete turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Flatley my dear, I don't Riverdance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Does sound like it will be exactly as the entire concept sounds, and trailers suggests: a boring ego-stroking exercise for Flatley to show off how wealthy and terribly desirable he is. AKA, boring. Doesn't even seem like there'll be much unintentional comedy to be gleaned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yes a highlights video on youtube might be enough but if it appears on Netflix/Prime I'll be tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think people have to give Flatley a touch of slack, he wrote, directed and starred in this, his first, if you can suggest another person who has done this first time around and created a complete blockbuster can you let me know?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

• Advertisement

That he did it at all says ego, not enthusiasm. Plenty of artists write direct and star in their own film true - but usually they have some prior skill or experience in one of those three talents. Flatley has none: he's a dancer with money to live his midlife crisis. He had a healthy enough bank account to hire a hack director or writer, but choose to do it himself? As I've said before, it's all very Garth Marenghi.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Off the top of my head... Hopper with Easy Rider, Welles with Citizen Kane, Tarantino with Reservoir Dogs.

I saw Blackbird last night. It is not good. And disappointingly, not even so bad it is good. Short on action, long on confusing talky scenes with random characters. Unforgivably, it is just boring for most of its runtime. Somebody compared it to a 'fat Steven Seagal movie', which is about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm honestly tempted just for sh*ts and giggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭the 12 th man

That Guardian review above😅😆

Sure let's see what a Turkey Detective acts like. Different from a dancing Irish Elk from Flatley's other movie. Flatley is no ordinary Dustin the Turkey.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Gerard Barrett

what's more he's Irish and did it on a shoestring budget, and made a great movie

The reviews are hilarious, pure comedy Gold.

Donald Clarke: "The hat action in particular, is something else. Blackbird is rarely seen without the sort of sub fedora titfer that deluded men pull on when the eldest child has left for college"

M

Hopefully I get to see it at the weekend, he should have had some sort of Q Branch rip-off where traditional Irish items would become weapons... a shillelagh that turns in to a gun etc.

Mario had some craic with it this morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I despise how RTÉ are REALLY forcing the whole “it’s so bad it’s good har har har” vibe with this steaming pile of sh1te.

ray darcy was particularly pathetic earlier on but sure that’s par for the course with him. Gormless

• Advertisement

I wonder will Mark Kermode have a chance to watch it; his rants are often good value for money.

I know the answer is "cos he's an arrogant twit", but I still don't get why Flatley didn't at least hire a director to shoot his script. Even vanity projects will hire a Yes Man to point the cameras correctly, use the right lens'

... and as if by magic! I haven't listened to it myself 'cos I want to enjoy the podcast itself later;

Both the Gift Grub and the two lads above hit the nail on the head..😅

Bizarre to see a film which is seemingly so horrendously bad (and horribly reviewed) on so many times a day in the lighthouse?! I am guessing it was part of the deal for hosting the premiere (I think they did)

What I would like to know is where the distain for Flately comes from?

I'd be surprised if there was any deal... I think they're just banking - accurately or not - on there being an 'ironic' audience for this. I don't know if last night's shows were sold out, but I've no doubt there was an audience there just for the car crash spectacle of the thing.

I'd imagine the amount of screenings will drop dramatically next week. I think there was some hope this would be a 'The Room' level cult watch, but going by the reviews it sounds extremely boring to actually sit through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

It will never get close to this Masterpiece starring one of the boyzone as a baddie....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I have no particularly strong feelings on him. But the fact he has publicly backed Gemma O Doherty is not a good look imo.

Including giving out about immigrants in ireland..when he was one himself in ireland...before he didn't want to pay taxes and then became an immigrant to Monaco...a true patriot...

Anyway off topic.

That Fatal Deviation a certifiable classic that surely should have been Oscar nominated.

• Advertisement

I was honestly asking. Don't tend to keep up on their private views.

Good to know though

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Highly recommend this. It's laugh out loud funny its so bad. The whole cinema was in convulsions. Even got a standing ovation at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

The Viper in Hardy Bucks? You know, the one where he battles aliens in a warehouse and stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I don't know about laugh out loud. It's just dull. I did find fight sequences funny, along with how the boat captain is dealt with.

Also, does Flathey just give the sim card/micro chip /super virus to warloard at the end. Or is there a missing scene where Flathey ma servant alrerts what's on the disk before he gives it to the warlord. This film should not be this confusing.

Edit: Did anyone else think that for a dancer Flatheys movement looks very stiff. Just found it odd. Massive calves

Btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Saw the film last night -quite a few laughs for the audience, collectively in stitches at times which was fun 😂. It wasn’t the best movie I’ve seen nor close to it but unique in many aspects. I’ve never watched a movie like it. You wonder if it’s parody or serious. Is Flatley pursuing an egoic desire or keeping a promise to his mother that he’d make a film. Whatever the motives- you’ve got to give him credit for his self belief in pulling off a film production. It will become a cult film …wait and see.

I liked the scenes of Ireland at the beginning. Some of the dialogue was hilarious such as the explanation of how this little round computer ‘chip’ with a formula could destroy humanity. The priest saying the ‘Ár nAthair’ does a brutal job of pronouncing some of the words. There are some lip-synching issues during the ‘sexy girl singing on stage’ bit.

I think Flatley has a sense of humour behind it all. He must have been doing it for the laugh. Sure on the Late Late before he played a tune, he said he told his wife “If it gets tough out there, I’ll just pull out the flute” -and winks at the audience - he’s literally taking the piss 😂

Whatever about the film, I’ll bet he had a great time making it. Plenty more material for Mario Rosenstock now. Flatley is a Legend 😅 I have some friends in Mayo who have meet him occasionally during sessions in Matt Molloys. They all say he’s a really nice guy and a good laugh.

Worth watching in the cinema for the laughs and just the hell of it 😅

Post edited by Fishdoodle on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Bellbottoms:

Edit: Did anyone else think that for a dancer Flatheys movement looks very stiff. Just found it odd. Massive calves

His character has a limp. But that aside I’d imagine Flatley’s legs are a bit banjaxed by now.

Hunting season is in. Time to get me a blackbird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Agree with all of the above. Whether intended or not its a good laugh. I enjoyed myself 😂

M

Anyone know if this is getting a release on any streaming platforms? Can't see any dates mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wait, didn't it win the Montreal streaming movie festival best actor award or something (The Kermode review is a joy)

• Advertisement
Advertisement