Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook for promotion in the civil service

Options
  • 06-07-2018 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have recently joined the CS and I am curious about how often chances for promotion will arise over the next few years. I have joined at EO level and plan on going up a grade as soon as possible.

I realise there have been threads about this in the past but I understand that the frequency of competitions varies over time.

How is it looking at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Aishling87

Hi all,

I have recently joined the CS and I am curious about how often chances for promotion will arise over the next few years. I have joined at EO level and plan on going up a grade as soon as possible.

I realise there have been threads about this in the past but I understand that the frequency of competitions varies over time.

How is it looking at the moment?

Panels are generally 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

You need to be there for 2 years to apply for any internal comps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The PS is in a period where there will be regular competitions. probably for next 5 years or so given the age profile and growth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

What does going up a grade mean and what kind of increase in salary can be expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

embraer170 wrote: »
    What does going up a grade mean and what kind of increase in salary can be expected?

going up a grade means he plans on being promoted

different levels in the CS are called grades

the increase depends on what grade he is promoted to

• Advertisement
Advertisement