Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitchen countertop

Options
  • 06-07-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I am thinking of replacing my kitchen countertop but I am not sure whether it's better to go to one someone like Woodies, B&Q or similar who will supply & fit new countertop or find a person who does this or a living but would privately be able to measure, remove and fit new countertop if I get it myself? Has anyone had any experience of doing this and, if so, could they recommend a capable person to do it? I also wonder if this would be more cost efficient?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I am thinking of replacing my kitchen countertop but I am not sure whether it's better to go to one someone like Woodies, B&Q or similar who will supply & fit new countertop or find a person who does this or a living but would privately be able to measure, remove and fit new countertop if I get it myself? Has anyone had any experience of doing this and, if so, could they recommend a capable person to do it? I also wonder if this would be more cost efficient?

Woodies and B&Q are supply only, they do not fit and do not recommend tradesmen as far as I remember.

Any decent carpenter or handyman would be able to do that job, they'd probably be able to source and deliver the worktop cheaper than you would too.

My advice would be go with the professional fitter but get at least three different quotes before choosing which one. As well as everything else ask about sealing between counter top and existing tiles (if there are any), also ask to see pictures of previous work, you'll be looking at it for a long time.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Davd

I bought countertop for my last place in Chadwicks Building providers in Wellpark. Had gone to all the usual suspects around the city but found the counters available here to be the best quality/value. They delivered but put it in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

Whatever you do, don't get a wooden work top! It looks great at the beginning but doesn't stand the test of time. I'm not sure if you were even thinking of that but just in case, learn from my mistake.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 restartagain

Great advice - thanks a mill guys

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Though it is an old post but I think you should prefer to use a ready to install granite or marble countertop. In this regard, you would need any expert help. Later, don’t forget to apply any of suitable granite sealers from here on it. Sealers will give your countertop protection against water and oil stains.

See this ready to install granite countertop here.

quartz-countertop-overlay-brilliant-how-to-upgrade-an-old-kitchen.jpg

top-white-granite-countertops.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Digging up an old thread to point to a business looks like shilling
    Closed and removed the link

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement