Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out a mobile home on my property?

Options
  • 06-07-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of discussion on Boards about mobile homes, but nothing that quite lines up with what's on my mind. I won't keep this too long.

Myself and my wife own a house in Wicklow. Out the front on either side of our driveway we have two decent sized gardens. Not massive, but definitely big enough for a medium sized mobile home. As renting is starting to shoot up in our area, we thought we'd get on the train and try and get a mobile home for the front garden, one that we'd let out.

So, as far as I know (and I'm still learning!), what steps beyond 1) Getting planing permission 2) Laying down a floating foundation 3) Purchasing and delivering the mobile home and 4) Hooking the home up to the water, etc would we need to look into? Obviously, all of this is way easier said than done, but I think it'd be a great investment for the future.

The tenant would have a decent amount of room around the home, access to bins, plenty of parking space and privacy as they would be mostly surrounded by hedges, but not entirely blocked in of course.

I'd welcome any help, questions about my situation if needed, etc.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of discussion on Boards about mobile homes, but nothing that quite lines up with what's on my mind. I won't keep this too long.

Myself and my wife own a house in Wicklow. Out the front on either side of our driveway we have two decent sized gardens. Not massive, but definitely big enough for a medium sized mobile home. As renting is starting to shoot up in our area, we thought we'd get on the train and try and get a mobile home for the front garden, one that we'd let out.

So, as far as I know (and I'm still learning!), what steps beyond 1) Getting planing permission 2) Laying down a floating foundation 3) Purchasing and delivering the mobile home and 4) Hooking the home up to the water, etc would we need to look into? Obviously, all of this is way easier said than done, but I think it'd be a great investment for the future.

The tenant would have a decent amount of room around the home, access to bins, plenty of parking space and privacy as they would be mostly surrounded by hedges, but not entirely blocked in of course.

I'd welcome any help, questions about my situation if needed, etc.

Cheers!!

Before you worry about 2, 3 and 4, your idea will halt at No. 1.
    Planning permission will be refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Forget it, not going to happen. Planning.

I would think you'll have extreme difficulty getting planning permission for this, especially in the front garden.

There is an exemption available for camping but iirc, its time limited and must be a certain distance from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TGLRetroplayer

Is it just that something like this is outright not allowed? Does it vary based on size of property, distance from road, distance from water supply, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Is it just that something like this is outright not allowed? Does it vary based on size of property, distance from road, distance from water supply, etc?

If you doubt the responses you receive here ,contact your local planning department .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Baybay

Wicklow County Council is very reluctant to give planning permission in general. I think even if you got past whatever concerns there might be, particularly in relation to water & sewage, your neighbours could very well object.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Or if you extend from your property and have a narrow connection between the buildings, you could build a studio or 1/2bed place and use rent a room to earn 14000 tax free a year. Just make sure it’s under 40msq

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TGLRetroplayer

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    If you doubt the responses you receive here ,contact your local planning department .

I have reason to doubt any response, but I want to learn why it's a no, not just get a no and give up.
    Baybay wrote: »
    Wicklow County Council is very reluctant to give planning permission in general. I think even if you got past whatever concerns there might be, particularly in relation to water & sewage, your neighbours could very well object.

Thank you. I don't believe my neighbours would be an issue myself, but impossible to say without getting their input.
    Fol20 wrote: »
    Or if you extend from your property and have a narrow connection between the buildings, you could build a studio or 1/2bed place and use rent a room to earn 14000 tax free a year. Just make sure it’s under 40msq

That's a good point, actually! Thank you.

It’s something that is not allowed outright.
    I will put my mortgage on you not getting permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Baybay

Fol20 wrote: »

Open to correction here but a couple of things occur to me.

Firstly the OP says that they own a house in Wicklow not live in Wicklow. Is occupancy of the property not required for the rent a room scheme? Or maybe I'm just over thinking the choice of words.

Secondly, it seems a considerable amount of work & comromise of the original house to go to for only €14,000 a year, depending on where the property is located & the costs involved in creating it.

I'm not saying that the money involved isn't a considerable sum but would it be enough with planning costs, architect's fees, services costs never mind trying to find good builders any time soon. Then there's the reselling of the property to be factored in to the over all design. And after all that, you'd hope it's somewhere in the county that people want to rent. Are holiday lets covered in the rent a room scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Another professional landlord enters the market :)

Good luck with your small business, and getting on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Baybay wrote: »
    Open to correction here but a couple of things occur to me.

Firstly the OP says that they own a house in Wicklow not live in Wicklow. Is occupancy of the property not required for the rent a room scheme? Or maybe I'm just over thinking the choice of words.

Secondly, it seems a considerable amount of work & comromise of the original house to go to for only €14,000 a year, depending on where the property is located & the costs involved in creating it.

I'm not saying that the money involved isn't a considerable sum but would it be enough with planning costs, architect's fees, services costs never mind trying to find good builders any time soon. Then there's the reselling of the property to be factored in to the over all design. And after all that, you'd hope it's somewhere in the county that people want to rent. Are holiday lets covered in the rent a room scheme?

Point number one is correct. I presume they are living in the property as it has to be your primary residence to avail of this.

Secondly, you always look at property for the long game. If you look at flipping and short term investing, it’s either extremely risky, or due to transactional costs it won’t make financial sense. 14k is equivalent to 28k gross from a normal rental property if your on the higher tax band so it’s nothing to scoff at.

I mentioned under 40sq m to avoid going down the planning route as that would make it more costly. From a capital value point of view on your asset, if you invest 100k on this, I think the maximum value it could increase it by is 50k and that’s being generous. It would give future buyers the option to combine both parts of the house but if your doing something like this as mentioned. It’s the long game so it would make no sense to sell within a 10yr timeframe. From a social aspect, this could also be useful. Maybe if they have kids, they could stay in the studio or when the parents are at retirement age, they could stay in the studio and allow the younger generation to stay in the house.

I suppose there is multiple ways to skin a cat and it’s always good to be informed of all your options and look at all avenues with your eyes wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Would it be easier to build a tiny studio/convert a brick shed? Something like this:

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/sandyford/sandyford-hall-sandyford-dublin-1845708/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

ionapaul wrote: »
    Would it be easier to build a tiny studio/convert a brick shed? Something like this:

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/sandyford/sandyford-hall-sandyford-dublin-1845708/

That wouldn't be allowed by the planners as it is effectively a granny flat with no granny. The o/p wants to put the unit in front of the house. That wouldn't be allowed at all, at all.

Guarantee you that doesn’t have planning for habitable use. It’s a garden shed (albeit a decent one) been used to generate income for the house holder.

My questions on these begin with, if a fire started and the insurance company investigated, and they found out you were renting out a shed, what would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

God, that is miserable. For a grand a month!

Interestingly my neighbour commented two weeks ago that they are thinking of converting their garage into a self-contained apartment to rent out. It’s at the front of their house with the house to the right of the driveway & the garage to the left. The back wall of their garage forms part of the boundary with our property.
    Would this be an outright no if they sought planning permission?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

April 73 wrote: »

Interestingly my neighbour commented two weeks ago that they are thinking of converting their garage into a self-contained apartment to rent out. It’s at the front of their house with the house to the right of the driveway & the garage to the left. The back wall of their garage forms part of the boundary with our property.

Most likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭ted1

April 73 wrote: »

As the kitchen does not have a 4 ring hob it’s also not legal to rent out

Advertisement