Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Name the cliques of Boards.ie

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not a vegan myself but always find it bizarre that people would get upset about what other people choose to eat.

Thats the funny thing. No serious comment I've seen gives a flying monkies about what anyone eats tbh. But that's the chorus unfortunately.

What people are responding to are the endless anti meat and farming tirades. It's weird that posters get labelled 'vegan bashers' (sic) for commenting on these threads. It''s like freedom of expression only works for select groups. Odd that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Vegans aren't lampooned for their dietary choices, they're lampooned because some of them make it a defining characteristic of their identity / personality and slip it in to conversations constantly, in a way which comes across as very attention seeking or narcissistic (it's just another of those "how to make this conversation all about me and my anecdotes, regardless of what we were talking about" things which piss people off). It's similar to the backlash against gender identities such as "pansexual" or "genderfluid" in that many people regard those things as outlets for narcissism as opposed to actual personality characteristics - vehicles for pushing an "everybody look at me, I'm so unique and special" attitude as opposed to anything more meaningful than that.

I've known both types of vegan and I've also known both kinds of people with gender identity struggles, and the narcissistic ones are very easy to tell apart from the genuine ones. But such is the nature of narcissism that those individuals shout the loudest and make the whole issue all about them as individuals, to the point at which, to a lot of people, being a vegan or a gender nonconformist is synonymous with being an attention whore who will do anything to make sure that conversations revolve around them.

That's why the classic joke about veganism is "How do you know if someone is a vegan? Oh don't worry - they'll tell you".

To be honest, in my experience the ones who use these labels for narcissistic self-importance tend to be the kinds of people who, before these things became a meme, had other ways of turning every conversation into a discussion about themselves. These memes just gave some of them an easy tool for instant self-centredness in social situations.

I would agree with you if I didn't know people that put pineapple on pizza.

Tried that once. It was a pretty weird experience tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Theres the 'Gareth from The Office' clique over in the military forum.

Badasses through their needlessly technical knowledge of random military equipment.

This is an amx-t15336 it fires tri plated hollow core ballistic impact rounds with armor penetration of 35.12 mm. And doubles as a spoon/step ladder.
    Excellent for silently scaring off bears.

I know this for certain, but I can't tell you why.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What the F is wrong with pineapple on pizza??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Necro wrote: »
    THE-POWER-OF-3b43hs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Can anyone who posted regularly in either of the two threads I cited above give an explainer or summery as to why they generated so much controversy in the area of people having conversations within those threads?

You would probably need a mod from that era to comment and give the exact reasons. Modding was overly struck back then imo.

On the ‘where are you’ thread back then I got pulled up by a mod for posting ‘I am reading the paper’. The reason for getting pulled up was that I said what I was doing, not where I am.

See, that’s nuts. But then when there is too much chat on a thread things get silly.
    Indeed it can get really cringy on that thread, as in recent times. Mostly in the evenings I would say. Fantasies. Passive aggressive digs. Aggressive digs. Flirting etc.

There was a singles thread years ago that got shut down for too much chat.

The Trivial annoyance thread can be used by some to have a dig at mods or other posters or other posts/threads so is contentious for that reason. But a rarity from what I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Honestly who cares?

There seems to be a bit of angst around this issue. Get a life.

Necro wrote: »
    Honestly who cares? There seems to be a bit of angst around this issue. Get a life.

Ahh the pineapple pizza lovers and haters cliques :pac:

Specially for yiz...

2vgutp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Johnny and the pint man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

AH used to be full of it but lot of the main culprits don't seem to be around anymore.

There's one perticular group on here that I obviously can't name! Weather it's in there own forum or anywhere they happen to post they have to be treated differently to everyone else and need to be seen as right at all times.

It's got to the point there acting like a protected species on boards as well as real life!

I saw what you done there. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Is that beanshee still on boards, she was horrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I saw what you done there. :D

Forgot I posted that! Ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

The people who think clique is pronounced click clique.

guilty :o

ya learn something new every day:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Hold on there..... One sec... Lemme just... Oh.. One sec.... Jus gotta turn on the Cooker... I wanna just... Lemme shtick on a Pot-ful of Popcorn... Now t'is popping away... Off ye go...

*Shticks head into back of Press for a big Bowl.*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ELM327 wrote: »
    As a member of the Judean People's front there's only one thing worse than the egyptians, and that's the Peoples front of Judea
    Surely we should be united against the common enemy ?

The Campaign for a Free Galilee.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Me and the voices in my head make a good clique.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The train and train drivers appreciation society.
    No. Just No. Society is paying too high a price to pamper them.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626095

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Dublin posters who think it's OK to start threads in AH like what's the best takeaway in Drumcondra kind of thing that belong in the regional forums.

Hold on there..... One sec... Lemme just... Oh.. One sec.... Jus gotta turn on the Cooker... I wanna just... Lemme shtick on a Pot-ful of Popcorn... Now t'is popping away... Off ye go...

*Shticks head into back of Press for a big Bowl.*

Not the feckin Popin popcorn clique :mad:

Here we go - pop pop poppity pop pop ....

Aaaarrrghhhhh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Some poll or other showed that the cost of the children's hospital is not resonating with the voters as an issue, that sums up the whole issue just because its an outrage on boards or the media, the actual silent majority couldn't care less or at best they might work up some mild outrage for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

There's a clique in the Liverpool FC thread. You dare be realistic or say anything negative and they all pounce on the poster then thank each others posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

MarkY91 wrote: »
    There's a clique in the Liverpool FC thread. You dare be realistic or say anything negative and they all pounce on the poster then thank each others posts.

60419637.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Of all the sections in boards.ie, the folks over at Aviation and Aircraft are a very serious, humourless bunch and the mods lock threads if you so much as even think about disagreeing with someone else. Most of the other sections I find the mods are laid back and can take a bit of banter so im not sure is it just a case of them thinking they actually have power on some internet forum or are they genuinely that serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

MarkY91 wrote: »

That's just Liverpool fans in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

That's just Liverpool fans in general.

After all they win the title every September......

While they are the master of bottling it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

There's a radio clique. In fact, there used to be a popular independent radio forum that boards kindof replaced, much to the chagrin of the operators of that forum.... and who doesn't love the radio, and their funny JNLR listenership figures.

Advertisement