Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection between two email addresses

Options
  • 06-07-2018 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Apologies if this is not the best location for this thread

I want to know is there any way I can establish if two email addresses are being used by the one person. Over the past 3 years, on two separate occasions I have received emails from two email addresses. Recently I have come to suspect, with very good reason, that it is the same person who sent me the emails from the two accounts, and I believe I know who that person is.

Is there anyway I can find out if the same person owns both accounts? I have this person's 'true' email address. Is there anyway I can find out the IP address used to send the emails, the location would confirm my suspicions,

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am reluctant to give too much detail but if it is necessary I can share more if it helps.

I appreciate this sounds very odd and suspect, but this is a genuine predicament that I am in and if I confirm that it is the person I suspect it will have significant consequences for me,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cabholly

Thanks, that was helpful but it is saying the IP address is private.

However I can see from the four emails I got most recently that the first, second and third parts of the IP address from these emails is exactly the same. It is only the numbers of the fourth part that differ each time

I suspect the emails were sent using a work laptop and I work for the same company as the person I suspect has been emailing me. I sent an email from my work laptop, using my work email account, to my personal email account and the IP address from this email also has the same first, second and third parts as the emails I got from this person, again it is only the numbers of the fourth part that are different.

Does this confirm the emails are being sent by someone using the same network?

Sorry I am not very familiar with IP addresses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maybe if you move around the company and send yourself emails until you get a match it might be the same location!

That's as far as my IT knowledge goes!

Alternatively your IT dept should have access to everything that goes in and out of work WiFi! Maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It’s possible that it’s the same person. IP addresses are generally registered in ranges

Go to Whois.domaintools.com and enter one of the IP addresses. It will return details of where that IP address is registered and the range that is registered. You can see all the IP addresses fall in that range.

Are these emails harassing you? If so, your company’s IT usuage policy would probably take a dim view on the use of company property for this purpose. You could consider logging a complaint with your IT & HR departments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The last number is different if there are several devices, eg. a PC, laptop and a mobile in the same house would have a different last number.

• Advertisement

But if the first 3 parts of an IP address are always the exact same does that mean the devices are using the same network?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

You would need to know the public IP first, for households (or wifi in a cafe for example) this will be the same, if its a company its probably more complicated. This is the IP your ISP provides to your router.

Within that, each device on the router will have an IP with the same first 3 octets ie, 192.168.1.x

In short, if the public IP is the same, email is probably from the same LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

cabholly wrote: »
    But if the first 3 parts of an IP address are always the exact same does that mean the devices are using the same network?

Not necessarily, the 255 addresses can be further split into smaller subnets. It is also possible that the address you have is an internal address, particularly if it is in the 192.168.x.x range.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Sabre Man wrote: »
    The last number is different if there are several devices, eg. a PC, laptop and a mobile in the same house would have a different last number.

No, the last octet of the private IP address is different for each device on a normal home local network.

The public IP address for devices on the same network will be the same, the router uses NAT (Network Address Translation) to direct traffic for this public IP address to the correct private IP address - but the private IP address won't ever be used or found outside that local network.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

cabholly wrote:
    I suspect the emails were sent using a work laptop and I work for the same company as the person I suspect has been emailing me. I sent an email from my work laptop, using my work email account, to my personal email account and the IP address from this email also has the same first, second and third parts as the emails I got from this person, again it is only the numbers of the fourth part that are different.

It definitely looks as though it is originating from your work network. In which case, if you are experiencing harassment or such like then go to HR and ask them to get your IT dept to confirm your suspicion.

They should be able to trace the email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

danm14 wrote: »
    No, the last octet of the private IP address is different for each device on a normal home local network.

The public IP address for devices on the same network will be the same, the router uses NAT (Network Address Translation) to direct traffic for this public IP address to the correct private IP address - but the private IP address won't ever be used or found outside that local network.

Thanks for clarifying.

It definitely looks as though it is originating from your work network. In which case, if you are experiencing harassment or such like then go to HR and ask them to get your IT dept to confirm your suspicion.

They should be able to trace the email.

If it looks like they’re coming from my work network then that pretty much confirms it is who I suspected. I have other reasons, so altogether it is pointing to one person. It is not really harassment, yet.... issue is also more complicated given that we are both in HR

Help and advice much appreciated, thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is this individuals emails doing any of the following?

1. Saying nasty thing about\to you?

2. Threatening to disclose something they know about you?

3. Looking for something from you?

You don't need to be specific, I'm trying to see if we could come up with some other means of catching the culprit.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Is this individuals emails doing any of the following?

1. Saying nasty thing about\to you?

2. Threatening to disclose something they know about you?

3. Looking for something from you?

You don't need to be specific, I'm trying to see if we could come up with some other means of catching the culprit.

No, the content of the emails are not, they are just telling me how the person feels about me. If the feeling was mutual it probably wouldn’t be an issue, but it’s not. And they are not telling me who they are in the emails.

There has been recent incidents with the person I suspect it to be though, that are not okay. And it is only recently that I have but two and two together. So the emails combined with recent events would make the overall behaviour of this person completely inappropriate and something I think I would need to take further and address

Advertisement