Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calls from Eir technical support fraudulent or not

• 06-07-2018 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, so i have been receiving many calls from people with Indian accents claiming to be working for eir technical support and informing me that my internet has been hacked as have my devices and that i am the victim of Identity theft and that online illegal activity has been happening in my name. The call was from an Irish landline (059). Apparently my ip address was being used internationally. I was passed on from technical support to the fraud security team and called from another 059 number. They told me they had been analysing my activity for the past 2 weeks and became aware that i had been hacked. I had been ignoring their calls for these 2 weeks as i assumed it was a scam. But they persisted to the point that i was convinced. Apparently 8 bank accounts had been set up in my name. They listed the 8 banks and asked if any of them were genuine. I said that one was and told them the name of the bank. Next they asked my to check if there had been any withdrawals from my acc recently. I then checked online. My concern is that they had hacked my laptop and got my login details. I dont know how to proceed from here so any help is appreciated

Comments

Yes it's probably a scam - they are figuring out what bank accounts you have.

Contact your bank now.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

pg633 is right. Looks like you were fooled into giving them the name of your bank. Immediately, have your bank freeze the account until you arrange new online login details. Never give any info like this over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

cotoole83 wrote: »
    Hi, so i have been receiving many calls from people with Indian accents claiming to be working for eir technical support and informing me that my internet has been hacked as have my devices and that i am the victim of Identity theft and that online illegal activity has been happening in my name. The call was from an Irish landline (059). Apparently my ip address was being used internationally. I was passed on from technical support to the fraud security team and called from another 059 number. They told me they had been analysing my activity for the past 2 weeks and became aware that i had been hacked. I had been ignoring their calls for these 2 weeks as i assumed it was a scam. But they persisted to the point that i was convinced. Apparently 8 bank accounts had been set up in my name. They listed the 8 banks and asked if any of them were genuine. I said that one was and told them the name of the bank. Next they asked my to check if there had been any withdrawals from my acc recently. I then checked online. My concern is that they had hacked my laptop and got my login details. I dont know how to proceed from here so any help is appreciated
    Hi cotoole83 ,

Please feel free to PM me your full name and account number, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Probably a scam as they don't converse with their customers,as the "talk to " forum can attest to.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

sounds like a social engineering scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 pilph

Hi all,

Apologies for posting on an old thread but my parents have been getting calls with the same type of activity. They are being told that their bank accounts have been looked up by hackers in California. They have also been told that their wifi in their house has been compromised. Their internet providers are different from their home phone provider. 

They were given this number to call back to verify that this is not a scam: 1158003648

Those making the calls are saying they are from eir. 

Can you shed any light on this? 

Many thanks. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

My parents are also being plagued by this. I've told them to get a dog whistle but if nothing is done Eir will be losing another customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

sweetie wrote: »
    My parents are also being plagued by this. I've told them to get a dog whistle but if nothing is done Eir will be losing another customer.
    A quick search will show that I'm in no way a fan of eir's in the slightest, but in this instance there's very little eir can do about it, other than possibly block the numbers as they're reported.  I can think of many reasons to leave eir, but this isn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thoie wrote:
    A quick search will show that I'm in no way a fan of eir's in the slightest, but in this instance there's very little eir can do about it, other than possibly block the numbers as they're reported. I can think of many reasons to leave eir, but this isn't one of them.

If it stops the incessant calls that's their only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Originally posted by Thoie
    A quick search will show that I'm in no way a fan of eir's in the slightest, but in this instance there's very little eir can do about it, other than possibly block the numbers as they're reported. I can think of many reasons to leave eir, but this isn't one of them.

It wont as its not just Eir customers getting the calls, its across every network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

pilph wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies for posting on an old thread but my parents have been getting calls with the same type of activity. They are being told that their bank accounts have been looked up by hackers in California. They have also been told that their wifi in their house has been compromised. Their internet providers are different from their home phone provider. 

They were given this number to call back to verify that this is not a scam: 1158003648

Those making the calls are saying they are from eir. 

Can you shed any light on this? 

Many thanks. 
    Sin City wrote: »
    Originally posted by Thoie

It wont as its not just Eir customers getting the calls, its across every network
    Hi All, 

We are aware that scam calls are in circulation and understand the concern that you would have when you receive these calls. 

More information can be found here

Thanks, 
    Grainne

Advertisement