Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Gáis increase

Options
  • 06-07-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

I recently signed up to 12 month contract with board Gáis through onebigswitch and got 28% off standard unit rate.

I see they are increasing their rates by 5.8% in August.

Anyone know if my rates will go up or they are fixed at rate on signup for contract duration?

Do they have to inform me?

Can I cancel contract and move to cheaper provider if they increase within my 12 month contract?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would need to see if you are on a fixed contract price, there are fixed and floating ones.

If floating, they are allowed increase and it doesn't provide a break clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Nope, you have a variable rate that can go up and down.

It would make no difference as gas prices have risen worldwide (50% up from 15 months ago) and every supplier is increasing prices and not just here - most countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Nope, you have a variable rate that can go up and down.

It would make no difference as gas prices have risen worldwide (50% up from 15 months ago) and every supplier is increasing prices and not just here - most countries

In that case what’s there to stop them hiking my price by 1000% once I’ve signed up to a 12 month contract?!
    Highly Unlikely I know but my point is surely there is some maximum they can increase prices before customers are allowed break out of contract.

I signed up to them because my existing supplier wouldn’t match their rate, I need to check but it’s possibly cheaper to move back to if supplier now with discounted rate as new customer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The discount with every supplier is off their ‘standard: rates. So yes it will go up but conversely your savings are now greater ie 28% off 100 is less than 28% off 106.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

rodge123 wrote: »
    In that case what’s there to stop them hiking my price by 1000% once I’ve signed up to a 12 month contract?!
    Absolutely nothing to stop them doing that except basic business common sense as a large number of their clients would not be in contract and would leave them overnight.

In addition they will allow you out of contract for a fee - usually about €75.

But ALL providers are hiking prices, so there's little to gain. And possibly there are more hikes to come.

Gas is a commodity and traded internationally just like oil and can move up/down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement