Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup - England friendly bar?

Options
  • 06-07-2018 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Are there any bars in Galway city or Salthill that England fans congregate in to watch the World Cup soccer? Looking for a bit of atmosphere for the next match/es.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

I reckon the Oslo will have a fairly good atmosphere for the match... Less of a bad attitude towards various teams in there compared to some other places

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Chelsea supporters club use Massimo, maybe contact them through FB, they must have a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think most of the spots around town are fairly welcoming in this regard. People aren't as anti-England this year, not that they won't cheer if the opposing team scores but it's fairly good natured.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No one will take offence to English people cheering for England.
    The bigger the pub, the more likely you are to find other English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Anywhere ye go will be good natured slagging but I think an awful lot of Irish will be supporting Galway by blood Harry Kane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Arghus wrote:
    I think most of the spots around town are fairly welcoming in this regard. People aren't as anti-England this year, not that they won't cheer if the opposing team scores but it's fairly good natured.

I agree. Especially as almost every second person you see seems to be a foreigner/tourist any way and wouldn't be tuned into that kind of sensitivy. There is also the Kane factor alluded to as well. But please God the result will be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Don't forget to update the thread on your experience, OP now that the score is 2:0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Anywhere ye go will be good natured slagging but I think an awful lot of Irish will be supporting Galway by blood Harry Kane.

Is that because Kane’s a arsenal fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Don't forget to update the thread on your experience, OP now that the score is 2:0
    Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up watching the match at home with my kids but will be venturing out on Wednesday night. Football’s coming home! Feeling properly homesick today :(

Advertisement