Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Auto sensor tap problems

• 06-07-2018 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

I bought and connected an automatic sensor tap in the bathroom however there is barely any water coming through it.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I bought and connected an automatic sensor tap in the bathroom however there is barely any water coming through it.

Any advice?

do the specs match the pressure in your system?

ie. do you have a gravity-fed system and a tap that needs higher (1bar+) pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

do the specs match the pressure in your system?

ie. do you have a gravity-fed system and a tap that needs higher (1bar+) pressure?

Hi it is gravity fed but nothing was spec'd on details of tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you post the tap details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Any advice?

This tap is designed to work on a pressure range from
    Water pressure: 0.1 - 0.6 Mpa
    which translates from 1 to 6 bar.
    If it is in an upstairs bathroom you will probably be only getting 0.3 to 0.4 bar max.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    This tap is designed to work on a pressure range from which translates from 1 to 6 bar.
    If it is in an upstairs bathroom you will probably be only getting 0.3 to 0.4 bar max.

Hi its a groundfloor bathroom.

Hi its a groundfloor bathroom.
    You'll still have only about .5 bar.

it's about .1 bar per metre of height difference between your tank and the tap.

You'll still have only about .5 bar.

it's about .1 bar per metre of height difference between your tank and the tap.

So my pressure is the problem? Anyway around this? I chose this for disabled use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

So my pressure is the problem? Anyway around this? I chose this for disabled use.

It may be the problem but I would try a few other things first, its probable that the cold water supply downstairs is at mains pressure which should be well above 0.5 bar so if you change the temperature setting to cold(est) does the flow rate increase?. I would try 4 new batteries in it as well as there may not be enough power to operate the solenoid device or whatever if the battery power is down. The device itself could just be faulty of course.

John.G wrote: »
    It may be the problem but I would try a few other things first, its probable that the cold water supply downstairs is at mains pressure which should be well above 0.5 bar so if you change the temperature setting to cold(est) does the flow rate increase?. I would try 4 new batteries in it as well as there may not be enough power to operate the solenoid device or whatever if the battery power is down. The device itself could just be faulty of course.

It does not increase at coldest.

Will try new batteries.

• Advertisement

It fits the symptoms I'm afraid, but you're right check the things suggested by John. g just in case.

it's a common issue as mains-pressurised systems are standard in Europe, the US and (to a much lesser extent) the UK, but not in Ireland (banned by most councils I think), so most taps outside of Irish suppliers are made to suit that.

I'm not aware of any solution* other than getting a new tap that's suitable for low-pressure systems. You'll definitely find a sensor mixer that is, it'll just take a bit more digging through the fine-print and probably a bit more cost.

At least you might have some luck getting your money back from Amazon as the seller didn't include this pretty important bit of info on the page (and they're normally very good with returns).

*(very open to being corrected on this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Could possibly install a booster pump and pressure vessel? Pricey but you feel the benefits all round the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

It does not increase at coldest.

Will try new batteries.

One other possibility is that you have a pumped hot&cold (double ended booster pump) water supply and that the initial flow through that particular tap isn't enough to start the pump, if you have this system you could briefly open/close another tap somewhere else to initiate the pump start and see what happens?.

Advertisement