Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you well off?

• 06-07-2018 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

As the title says, are you well off? - i.e. are you comfortable, financially; do you have nice things like a big house, nice car, decent holidays every year, do you own property etc.?

If so, how did you get to your current situation?

Personally, I'm not. I have a very small modest house in a rough enough area, a small family, a car, and I work full time. Every month we cover all bills & expenses and then have a small amount left over until payday. We can't afford pensions, health insurance or to put much into savings.

I know a few people who seem to have a lot more in terms of disposable income, bigger house, etc. etc. But all these people seem to have received help along the way.

For example, one guy I know has a huge house outside Dublin on a big piece of land, has property in Ireland and UK, a decent job etc. - but he 'comes from money' - was sent to private boarding school and his family owned the land where he now lives. Other people I know are able to turn to their parents for help if they ever need it.

I'm aware that there are plenty of people worse off - homeless families etc. And i am grateful for the fact that I can provide a roof over my family's head.

So are you like me, or better or worse off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I know lots of people with new cars who don't have a pot to piss in, I wouldn't classify driving a new car as any status of wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sitting here on a Friday night drinking Lidl beer using my work paid phone to browse the net.

Thats a resounding no, in case you were wondering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

I know lots of people with new cars who don't have a pot to piss in, I wouldn't classify driving a new car as any status of wealth.

Especially if it’s a Dacia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Nope. My most valuable asset is a ten-year-old car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

keano_afc wrote: »
    Sitting here on a Friday night drinking Lidl beer using my work paid phone to browse the net.

Thats a resounding no, in case you were wondering.
    Aldi beer is cheaper. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

No I'm not well off, but not broke either. I disagree that those who do well for themselves come from good backgrounds. A good work ethic and solid planning can get you to a good place, regardless of inheritance/Parental support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Wealth, generally, doesn't mean happiness. Health, physical and mental, would have far greater impact on happiness I imagine.

So, you drive a nice car, it's fine, but you get used to it after a while and the thrill is fleeting.

As long as you're not short as per Dickens - Income per year €30,000, expenditure €29,950 equals happiness. Income per year €60,000, expenditure €60,050 equals misery. You become accustomed to your "wealth level".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not rich by any means but we are comfortable and can afford a few nice things. We worked our arses off for it, we had a tough start but with help and determination we are where we are. Of course it could all go tits up tomorrow but such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well off is a capitalist construct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd say I'm well off. Don't have a big house or any other property except the small family home but it's what we want. We can change our cars every couple of years, go on holiday if we wish and generally don't have to worry about the cost of things. I consider us lucky to be comfortably well off at this stage in our lives but it's all relative and depends on what you want out of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

No rent and no mortgage at 35. Earn average industrial wage roughly I think. Don’t run around like a flash harry or seem to save a lot. I should probably do a spreadsheet of where the hell my money goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I’m comfortable
    No real worries have a good quality of life not deprived and getting better

No rent and no mortgage at 35.

And does Yore Ma still wash your clothes? :P

No the wife does that for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nope very sick man with a few disabilities and an ever growing list of health complications preventing me from returning to education or taking up meaningful employment after paying my rent and weekly expenses I'm left with about €60 to buy food which doesn't go very far for healthy eating life is **** if you are single sick and disabled in this country but life is what you make of it and I like making fun of mine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No the wife does that for me now.

Double ROFL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,254 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

40 and would consider myself well off, I don't want for anything and own a nice house and car, but I'm not wealthy.

I'm well off because I save and don't spend money on throwaway things. I don't smoke and drink occasionally, but I watch what and where I spend and will look for bargains on things.

I've always saved since I started working, mainly because I never want to be without money or in a situation where I can't buy something I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not really but I live a pretty decent single life at the moment and don't want for much. Could I do alot more if I had more money? Yes, but I don't dwell on it so much and am content with what I am lucky enough to be able to afford. That said, if and when kids come along....it'll be a struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I'm not well off.

I'm in a fairly low paid job.

But I'm single and childless so all my moneys is for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

We have loads of disposable income. I paid €90 for a tin of white paint recently.

We have loads of disposable income. I paid €90 for a tin of white paint recently.

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

about three fiddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm well off as in...

My partner and I are both healthy, thank fu*k.

As the old saying goes "your health is your wealth"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Currently dictating this to my butler. I'm not sure what well-off means...is that a peasant term Jenkins? Oh these people on the webernets are funny aren't they Jenkins; mmuah hha haaaa.

...you can wipe me now Jenkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Somewhere in the region of 90% of people are more wealthy today than the top 10% of the general population rich 100 years ago, and are well beyond the poorest of the poor 50 years ago.

You have less chance of getting killed by polio or TB. You have access to medicine, food, sufficient bed and board, and peace in the country. You can go about your affairs without much hassle. Overall it's not bad, though we must never give up on striving to make sure everyone gets a fair shake and there is no child left behind.

So lads, cool the heels, there are not many of us 'not wealthy'. Having to use Merlot in the Beef Bourgouin because you can't afford Shiraz is not a problem. Any deep bodied red will do, so calm down.

What the op is referring to is the hedonic treadmill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'd say we're well off. We have our house, and disposable income and savings. We would never spend €90 on a tin of paint though so maybe we're not :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

yeah, pretty comfortable. No kids, no car (cycle everywhere), small mortgage and work in IT. Didnt come from money and didnt particularly kill myself overworking. I just dont waste money and only buy stuff I know I'll use. Not having a car is a big plus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

Not well off financially but comfortable..but when compared to how my life was..
    Was a career person working long hours with a nice salary..but had no time and was throwing money at things just to keep them under control. Very little personal time so was not taking care of me..
    Had to give up career due to a family issue..scary..
    OMG! so much less income but as I have more time to prioritise I actually am in a better financial position.So now I FEEL I'm well off. Working less,can pay bills and have time and a life.
    So yes in my world I'm well off..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,254 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I'd say we're well off. We have our house, and disposable income and savings. We would never spend €90 on a tin of paint though so maybe we're not :D

The reason I can afford to spend €90 on a tin of paint is that I would never spend €90 on a tin of paint.

In my experience, this separates me from most people.

I've a small apartment, cheap enough car all considered. I earn a decent wage and can divert lots to pension etc. I'm quite comfortable in sofar as I spend less than I earn but if you gauge wealth by big house, flash car etc then I'm a tramp :)

..... I'm left with about €60 to buy food which doesn't go very far for healthy eating ....

Sweet potato & chick pea curry (tomatoes based with a chilli or two) can be made for about €4. 1kg bag of decent rice is a fiver.... 16 portions.

You'd get 4 portions out if the curry.... 4 dinners for a fiver... €1.25 each.

1l of protein milk in Aldi is a Euro.

Yoghurts (fatfree) are often on special offer.... my local supervalue often sells 2 X 500g clonakilty pots for €1.50 & the glenisk ones are reduced occasionally too....the own brand versions are reasonably priced.

Carrots etc cost very little.

Even steaks are often reduced in the large shops.

I feed myself for less than 60/week, that's breakfasts, lunch & dinner. Mainly decent grub with the odd pizza or box of magnums thrown in :)
    That includes kitchen roll, washing up liquid, tea, coffee etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I recently bought a house and I'm getting married next week and I haven't completely emptied the bank account, so I'm doing ok. I don't know about 'well off', but comfortable for now at least. I don't come from money, but I have a decent software development job and I don't buy things I don't need. Unless I really want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very well off.. I have a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in... enough for food which is far more than many have. Old car but it gets me around at need.

Cats and a dog who adore me.. good neighbours .. the really valuable things in life cannot be bought and need no money

I actually eat well for less than E20 a week . No hardship at all here..

Although current negotiations for a load of turf delivered have me in total shock!!

So mission impossible there..

"Well off" means different things to different people and at different times in their lives. foreign holidays and new cars are meaningless here..

So yes VERY well off indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I recently bought a house and I'm getting married next week and I haven't completely emptied the bank account, so I'm doing ok. I don't know about 'well off', but comfortable for now at least. I don't come from money, but I have a decent software development job and I don't buy things I don't need. Unless I really want them.

Sorry to hear that. Happens to us all. Least you've the week left. :)

Yeah being well off is subjective. Even if you nail it down to monetary terms, I doubt most extremely wealthy nor extremely poor would be reading this forum to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

no debts but no assets either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Yes and no. I'm early 20s, in college, live at home and work part time. Aside from running a car and giving my mam a few bob, all my money is mine, so I can afford to spend it. I just try not to as much as possible, I try to save so in the future money won't be a worry to me. But wealth is relative. Sure, right now I'm comfortable, but only because I don't have big overheads at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Your health is your wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

This thread would suit Angous perfectly. I’d love to read his long reply:)

He'd have the third estate toiling to provide for his needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Have my own place and a few quid in the bank if I need it, driving an oul 04 Golf that gets me around and usually get a sun holiday every 2 years.

I've never had a well paid job but I came from a poor backround so I don't spend money on things I don't need and I'm able to have a reasonably good life on the money I earn.

Augeo wrote: »
    Sweet potato & chick pea curry (tomatoes based with a chilli or two) can be made for about €4. 1kg bag of decent rice is a fiver.... 16 portions.

You'd get 4 portions out if the curry.... 4 dinners for a fiver... €1.25 each.

1l of protein milk in Aldi is a Euro.

Yoghurts (fatfree) are often on special offer.... my local supervalue often sells 2 X 500g clonakilty pots for €1.50 & the glenisk ones are reduced occasionally too....the own brand versions are reasonably priced.

Carrots etc cost very little.

Even steaks are often reduced in the large shops.

I feed myself for less than 60/week, that's breakfasts, lunch & dinner. Mainly decent grub with the odd pizza or box of magnums thrown in :)
    That includes kitchen roll, washing up liquid, tea, coffee etc etc

I'm diabetic with very problematic dietary requirements(fussy bollix ;) ) so most of that wouldn't suit. Did find microwave rice in tesco recently for 59-99 cents a bag depending on type it isn't too bad.

I didn't see myself struggling like this at 116 years old ( real age slightly less but also ending in a 6 soon) still could be worse I could be married 3 kids stuck in a dead end job and Mortgaged up the gills with no escape in sight. Ah who knows what tomorrow may bring, none of that stuff thank **** :p

I was 13 months ago but have blown all my savings by not working and trying to get a business going. Either that works out in the next month and I'll be fine or I'm starting work again in my old job in a few weeks and I'll be fine.

My mind was at breaking point even when I had all that money in the bank. Now I've none and am far more content after getting rid of accumulated stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Was very poor growing up. No food, Christmas toys, electricity cut off, hiding from rent man.

As such I would actually say I’ve a fear about being poor.

Because I had nothing, I always swore if I could get out of the cycle I would never look at the prices again.(within reason)

Thanks to sheer hard graft , no handout from anyone, I’m now comfortable-Decent enough job, 6 or 7 years left to pay on house(small house in decent area) nice brand new car(no finance) nice jewelry, bit of savings, ok pension, 2-3 holidays a year.

I travel a lot- recently had a nice 3 week long haul holiday. I travel now because the time will come when I am actually not able to. When I can’t, I will remember sitting at the edge of the Grand Canyon eating pizza at Sunset, climbing Angels landing, seeing Petra, walking through the sun gate.

It’s all very well to say money isn’t important. It’s quite easy to say that when you are not poor. I lost a friend though money worries in the recession, that showed me how important/ unimportant it all is.

Enjoy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I have no mortgage or rent. I own my house (and farm and some land) outright and to be perfectly honest, that alone makes me feel "well off". I feel that, especially in the current climate, you can't put a price on not owing any money to any financial institution.

I am under no illusion about how lucky I am and I don't take it for granted. I still make sure to save money for the "just in case" scenarios even though, the reality is that I'm very comfortable. If something did suddenly crop up, it's not like I'd be unable to pay mortgage or rent and be under a lot of pressure in that regard.

On the outside though, my husband and I aren't flashy and I would say people would not necessarily think we are "well off". Rather than driving expensive cars and having loads of expensive shit, our house is quite small but it's *all* ours. We don't have an expensive extension, 5 bedrooms that we don't use, or anything like that.
    What we can do with our relative financial comfort is go to nice restaurants for meals regularly, get up on a Saturday morning and decide to go wherever we want, go to every gig and festival we want to go to without having to save in advance. We also like to look after our friends, who we know would do the same for us if the tables were turned.

I think people having "nice things" isn't the best indicator of being "well off". There's a guy local to where I live, in debt up to his eyeballs, the whole community knows about it but the whole family go around in leased bmws and mercs so they *look* "well off".

I had a terrible childhood, I was abused and neglected and I know what it's like to have nothing, to have less than nothing. I remember my mother saying "no" to everything and then beating the shit out of me for daring to ask. I remember going without food for days. I remember wetting myself with fear and I remember promising myself over and over that I would not live that life as an adult.

erica74 wrote: »
    There's a guy local to where I live, in debt up to his eyeballs, the whole community knows about it but the whole family go around in leased bmws and mercs so they *look* "well off".

Typically banks don't lend to people that cannot afford it or they take the assets back. So, while the whole community think they "know", they may not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd say we're comfortable.

Mortgage is pretty small and we have a second property already paid off. We put money into a fund for kid's college expenses in 10 years or so and we both have good pensions.

I don't have any expensive habits and have never understood paying tens of thousands on a car. We do go abroad at least once a year though - always loved travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fiolina wrote: »
    Your health is your wealth.

In that case I am worse than a pauper! It is what you make of what health you have..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not really, but I've little interest in gathering wealth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Graces7 wrote: »
    In that case I am worse than a pauper! It is what you make of what health you have..

I think you can really offer perspective to people here Grace. What was it like 60 years ago for be average Joe Soap? Do you think things are much, much better now or not?

• Advertisement
Advertisement