Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you well off?

Comments

Yes I think I am in many ways. I am well off in a way that is priceless. I have people who I love and care about, a richness in my relationships, people who matter a great deal to me. Money has never been a driving force for me but it certainly does bring a freedom of sorts. I am completely debt free and cushioned from the hardships that so many face but ultimately it´s having love in my life that gives it all meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm well off compared to most people in the world but just barely middle class by SF Bay Area standards. I can't imagine ever being able to buy a house here, but I do have my own apartment with no roommates. I bought a new car last year, but it's just a Toyota Yaris, so nothing fancy.

Since 2016, I've been able to go on at least one international trip per year. I went to Hawaii this past April (not technically international for me) and have a trip to Spain, Portugal and Morocco booked for November. I don't have luxury accommodations, but I'm not staying in hostels either. Usually it's an Airbnb with a private bed/bath or the whole apartment to myself. I make sure all of my trips are paid off a few months in advance and make sure to have some spending money for tours, good food, excursions and shopping while I'm away.

I track my finances carefully and bring my lunches to work. I have a cap on monthly spending so that I'm always saving some money each month. I never put more on my credit card than I can pay off immediately.

This week I'm in final interview stages for two jobs that would increase my pay significantly, which would help make things more comfortable and may make purchasing a small condo or house not a complete fantasy. We'll see how it goes!

All in all, I feel very lucky to have the life I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I'm as well off as I was the last time this one came up 3 weeks back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Especially if it’s a Dacia.

Dacia owners are the smart ones because we don't piss away €250 a month on the lease of that brand new Audi, or worse borrow €60k to buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm in the defence forces, so I live more or less Wednesday to Wednesday.

Like most of my comrades if I want more money I travel oversea's to someone else's war, try to stay safe and make a few quid.

That said I'm not homeless (and hopefully never will be), and I'm never going to starve.

I'm very fit, and relatively healthy. I had a short holiday in Nov 2017 (a few nights in Krakov, Poland) but haven't had a family sun break in over ten years.

I also try to get by on €20 petrol a week, but I cycle a lot so that helps.

Peeps, don't ever let your sons and daughters go into the defence forces. Encourage them to stay in education, get their degree's and make a decent living for themselves.

If they wish to go into the DF, and many people have a calling to do so then encourage them to go the cadet route and not enlisted, or they're fooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I remember reading a piece about Pat Ingolsby,just after the financial crash,he was saying every day he's on the streets of Dublin selling his books of poems from a trolley and he sees people losing it all,jobs,cars,lifestyle,houses and it dawns on him that his greatest treasure is that he has nothing to lose.

That pretty much sums up my scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I am, until December where I get kicked out my current apartment, and go from a 600 euro a month to having to spend 1500 a month. I'll be struggling at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Where is Aonghus Von Bismarck ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Absolutely minted.........thats why I'm on night shift tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My car has cruise control , aircon , rear sensors , looks like a brand new car and drives like a brand new car . ...bought for €2200 4 years ago ....living the dream!!!!!!!!!!

I'm the same - mine is an 07, paid 8k for it when it was about 5 years old, still only has 130,000km on it. I spent about a grand on it maybe 6 or 8 months ago changing the timing chain and putting any niggly bits right again. Drives like a new car, i'll drive it for at least another 5 or 6 years, barring accidents.

I could never understand people leaving themselves broke (or at least stretched) just to sit in a flashy car. I'd literally have to win the lotto before I'd even consider throwing 20 or 30 grand at a car, maybe not even then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Currently comfortable. Between my wife and I we earn well above the average, we have a decent chunk of money saved, she owns her own 2 year old car and my 8 year old one is almost paid for. No debt other than a very manageable mortgage on a place that has come out of negative equity. We are however in the process of trying to buy a house in the South Dublin region so when that happens we are going to be a bit less comfortable, at least til the kids start school. All things considered, we could be alot worse off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I'm in the defence forces, so I live more or less Wednesday to Wednesday.

Like most of my comrades if I want more money I travel oversea's to someone else's war, try to stay safe and make a few quid.

That said I'm not homeless (and hopefully never will be), and I'm never going to starve.

I'm very fit, and relatively healthy. I had a short holiday in Nov 2017 (a few nights in Krakov, Poland) but haven't had a family sun break in over ten years.

I also try to get by on €20 petrol a week, but I cycle a lot so that helps.

Peeps, don't ever let your sons and daughters go into the defence forces. Encourage them to stay in education, get their degree's and make a decent living for themselves.

If they wish to go into the DF, and many people have a calling to do so then encourage them to go the cadet route and not enlisted, or they're fooked.
    the cadet route in the army is also rubbish. The pay is very bad in the lower officer ranks (Comandant and below), it takes years the guts of 30 years to get any higher. Officers have to pretend to have money while in reality they are constantly broke. The pension is now based on career average earnings so will be much lower than previously when it was based on final rank. They have to put up with transfers around the country to have a career at all. Unless they marry well they are no better off than the men in the ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

the cadet route in the army is also rubbish. The pay is very bad in the lower officer ranks (Comandant and below), it takes years the guts of 30 years to get any higher. Officers have to pretend to have money while in reality they are constantly broke. The pension is now based on career average earnings so will be much lower than previously when it was based on final rank. They have to put up with transfers around the country to have a career at all. Unless they marry well they are no better off than the men in the ranks.

Like I said, 'if' they wish to make a career as a soldier go the cadet route. I'm not suggesting that's a bed of roses either.

I've mostly loved the army, its been really good to me. But its not a career I route I'd ever suggest (unfortunately). Pay and conditions are just deplorable, its really that simple but I guess you know that too.

Pay restoration would be a massive help to me and my family, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't blame young people who are leaving in their hordes.

Right, rant over because like I said the DF has been really good for me and I still have some pride in telling people I'm a soldier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Like I said, 'if' they wish to make a career as a soldier go the cadet route. I'm not suggesting that's a bed of roses either.

I've mostly loved the army, its been really good to me. But its not a career I route I'd ever suggest (unfortunately). Pay and conditions are just deplorable, its really that simple but I guess you know that too.

Pay restoration would be a massive help to me and my family, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't blame young people who are leaving in their hordes.

Right, rant over because like I said the DF has been really good for me and I still have some pride in telling people I'm a soldier.
    maybe so but it doesn't put bread on the table. I grew up in a household depending on an army wage and it was no fun. I think there's a good case for children of soldiers to be considered as victims of child abuse and neglect. I am constantly amazed I reached adulthood at all given the non-wage paid to military personnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I was pretty well off, untill we dumped our savings into a house ... now all savings are gone ... but we are moving into a nice new house that finally I can call my own!!

So , back to the drawing board for savings.

Proud to say we didn't touch our kids savings (they have about ~15k between them (2) for college)

But I feel like a poor peasant, don't even have a car and constantly see my neighbours driving around in their Range Rover Evoque ...

Anyone who drives one of them is loaded ... they are bloody cool tho ... I want one !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Saw a woman in a brand new BMW Z4 a few years ago beside me at a petrol pump. She was all done up and looked like she was super posh.

She put €5 petrol in it. I would say she was broke AF but trying to keep up appearances.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Saw a woman in a brand new BMW Z4 a few years ago beside me at a petrol pump. She was all done up and looked like she was super posh.

She put €5 petrol in it. I would say she was broke AF but trying to keep up appearances.

Maybe she just forgot her wallet so could only fill up from the change in the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

It's the little things that give the game away I suspect. There's probably loads of different examples there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Hah! I would do the same if I was at an expensive petrol pump and just wanted to get to my regular petrol station. :pac:

With that said I imagine some trophy spouses can be on a tight lease, and get an "allowance". Sad really. I know of one, until she found the husband dipping his quill in the company ink. She's now a lot more financially independent :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was well off (150k family income in Dublin). But I just discovered my wife cheating so very shortly both my wife an I will be relatively poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I was well off (150k family income in Dublin). But I just discovered my wife cheating so very shortly both my wife an I will be relatively poor.

Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

God that's awful, sorry to hear that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Depends what u consider comfortable / wealthy...... I own my own house u have no debt bar my mortgage, I smoke drink out 1 night a week, have money in the bank. I earn 100k + but thays not guaranteed for life and could change in a heartbeat.... my wife works 3 days per week for sanity and that covers the mortgage costs with some left over. We eat out a few nights a week I drive an old car but it gets us around with no issues. We travel on holidays 3 times per year and my kids have everything they need..... life is good for me. I'm 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I rarely post here but I said I'd tell ye! Lets school at 15 to get a trade, was a tradesman at 20 but deep down I knew it wasn't for me but not sure why. Stayed at it but eventually took a few small steps and now in a job I really enjoy for the last 15 years.

Took a new course in work last year that resulted in a 10k pay rise, probably 15k with O/T. Also awaiting a promotion in the job, with another pay rise. I'm happily married, small mortgage, no kids (by choice). Wife owns her car, mine is PCP (I like shiny things, my choice). Holiday every year, possibly two. Holiday home at the beach, nothing huge but it's a lovely mobile home. It was all through hard work, and self education....I'll never be rich, I'll never be wealthy, but as long as we are healthy and have the price of a few pints with friends that honestly all I want. No kids or college to worry about really helps.....I wish I knew then what I know now and I'd have put more of an emphasis on education. You make your own luck in this world.

A couple of times I've been driving on fumes and pulled in somewhere out of necessity but though to myself "I'm not paying that" so I'd put in enough to get me to the next garage.

A couple of cents here or there I don't mind but some places take the piss - there used to be a garage on the quays in Dublin was like 25 or 30 cent per litre dearer than average because it was the only garage in town.

Screw that, fiver it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That's awful, I'm so sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Married with one daughter in her final year in Uni.
    I work full time, wife part time, both stress free jobs with good income.
    House paid for in 2015, small upgraded but comfy country cottage.
    Three cars, two paid for. Classic car for hobby.
    Didnt need to borrow for daughters college, mixture of savings and salary.
    A years gross salary in savings with private health and a good pension.
    Good social life without extravagance, good friends and 2 hols a year abroad plus about half a dozen Irish weekends away.
    Sitting on the decking on the many fine evenings we have just had with a beer and book - I feel well off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sparksfly wrote: »
    ...- I feel well off

You are. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

A couple of times I've been driving on fumes and pulled in somewhere out of necessity but though to myself "I'm not paying that" so I'd put in enough to get me to the next garage.

A couple of cents here or there I don't mind but some places take the piss - there used to be a garage on the quays in Dublin was like 25 or 30 cent per litre dearer than average because it was the only garage in town.

Screw that, fiver it is!

The difference in a couple cent on a litre of fuel between one petrol station and another is about 2 eur to fill an average tank

So the hassle of pulling in on fumes and putting a 5er in and then the hassle of driving to another station to fill up to save 2 eur is bizarre tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Nope totally broke. It is what is. No point whinging about it made some bad choices and those choices were my own. I figure I’m early 30’s so there’s still time to fix it. I would say at least I have my health but that’s a bit shaky too.
    But the sun has been lovely, I have a beautiful child, my job is not the worst thing to do and I’m not living in a hotel room so not as bad as some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Currently living in a gated community in an apartment which includes a cleaner who comes a few times a week and cleans the place, changes the bed linen and does my laundry.

4 layers of security between my apartment and the main road (compound gate, street gate, another gate to the main estate and the na barrier to the main road, all with security).

I work un a mahoosive trans-national organisation in a secure compound, onsite gym, pool, sports facilities, bar, and restaurant.
    I make umpteen times the average wage where I live and can afford to eat out every day if I wished.
    Have a decent social life here, usually driven to and from work but have the use of a company car when I want it.
    I'd say by local standards I'm extremely well off.

That said, I don't particularly love living here, especially not in the winter (now).
    It's pretty sketchy, it's not safe to walk around outside of the main throughfares in the city centre alone and definitely not at night. It has it's plus points too of course, I don't hate it here by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd much rather just be "comfortable" in Ireland and than "well off" here.

Thankfully I get to leave and return to my bog standard two bed flat in the Irish Midlands in a few weeks. Can't wait to be able to walk home after a pint after a long day in the office, and if I never see a serving of ugali again I'll be a happy man.

McCrack wrote: »
    The difference in a couple cent on a litre of fuel between one petrol station and another is about 2 eur to fill an average tank

So the hassle of pulling in on fumes and putting a 5er in and then the hassle of driving to another station to fill up to save 2 eur is bizarre tbh

A couple of cent I wouldn't bother - but 20 odd is taking the piss. Would just leave a bad taste in my mouth knowing I'd been taken for a mug!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Currently living in a gated community in an apartment which includes a cleaner who comes a few times a week and cleans the place, changes the bed linen and does my laundry.

4 layers of security between my apartment and the main road (compound gate, street gate, another gate to the main estate and the na barrier to the main road, all with security).

I work un a mahoosive trans-national organisation in a secure compound, onsite gym, pool, sports facilities, bar, and restaurant.
    I make umpteen times the average wage where I live and can afford to eat out every day if I wished.
    Have a decent social life here, usually driven to and from work but have the use of a company car when I want it.
    I'd say by local standards I'm extremely well off.

That said, I don't particularly love living here, especially not in the winter (now).
    It's pretty sketchy, it's not safe to walk around outside of the main throughfares in the city centre alone and definitely not at night. It has it's plus points too of course, I don't hate it here by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd much rather just be "comfortable" in Ireland and than "well off" here.

South Africa? :pac:

Pyr0 wrote: »

Nope, no ugali in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Pyr0 wrote: »

Tanzania?

• Advertisement

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Tanzania?

I wish. Dar es Salaam is lovely this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

People share an awful lot of personal info on this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Try_harder wrote: »
    People share an awful lot of personal info on this site.

Who said its true ;)

Congo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I'm well of enough not to be thinking how well off I compared to others. My mind is a palace.

• Advertisement

Congo :)

They don't have ugali in either Congo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Do people judge their self worth by how much is in their bank accounts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Nairobi, Kenya!

Ah tell us :) I find it really interesting when people go to far flung places to live their lives be it for work or other.

Ah tell us :) I find it really interesting when people go to far flung places to live their lives be it for work or other.

Nairobi, Kenya.

Nairobi, Kenya.

You'll find I guessed that correctly a couple of posts ago. :cool:

You'll find I guessed that correctly a couple of posts ago. :cool:

Did you look at a previous post that mentioned me being in a bar in town? :p

Did you look at a previous post that mentioned me being in a bar in town? :p

Noooo. I used my own expert instinct about these things, which was confirmed by a quick google of Ugali! (would like to try that by the way!) :D

Noooo. I used my own expert instinct about these things, which was confirmed by a quick google of Ugali! (would like to try that by the way!) :D

It's very easy to make. It's just corn meal and water with some salt and you just keep adding water and corn meal as you heat it on the stove.

It's the most bland, tasteless substance on earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's very easy to make. It's just corn meal and water with some salt and you just keep adding water and corn meal as you heat it on the stove.

It's the most bland, tasteless substance on earth.

Worse than Dal Bhat?

• Advertisement
Advertisement