Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of person works in recruitment?

Options
13»

Comments

A lot of assumptions there. While I work to Kpi's there isn't a whole lot of commission involved and I earn a fairly decent amount. I have done both in house and agency so have seen a lot

Recruiters ringing about a job you're in Is madness alright, wouldn't happen in my company. We're well known, well respected within the niche industry we're in. Companies use us because the time it saves screening, advertising and reviewing cv's and they also know thisisgge quickest route to finding a suitable candidate. My network within the industry I work is huge and that's what these companies are paying massive fees for.

We also do all background checks and psychometric testing if needed. Recruiters will always be cagey about discussing who the client is because it really does need to remain confidential most of the time and they won't disclose until the candidate shows genuine interest, I get this is a bit of a catch22.

I'm sure you do a good job and so do most recruiters doing a job but I've been called by several agencies about a job I'm already working in , and No I won't give the time of day to any recruiter who calls me about a job and won't disclose the company and or look at my CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I'm sure you do a good job and so do most recruiters doing a job but I've been called by several agencies about a job I'm already working in , and No I won't give the time of day to any recruiter who calls me about a job and won't disclose the company and or look at my CV.

I know someone who worked for a contracting company and was contracted to a huge very well known multinational for years. They were contacted by the internal HR Dept about the role they were doing through the contracting company. People make mistakes. No one is perfect, thing get missed. It happens to everyone in any job they do, but for some reason people have this idea that it's ok to ridicule recruiters....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

TG1 wrote: »

I know someone who worked for a contracting company and was contracted to a huge very well known multinational for years. They were contacted by the internal HR Dept about the role they were doing through the contracting company. People make mistakes. No one is perfect, thing get missed. It happens to everyone in any job they do, but for some reason people have this idea that it's ok to ridicule recruiters....
    I think its because they lie and bluff to get you into a role.

I went for a role in eastern Europe which I was on the fence about. Anyway, the recruitment agency were on to me saying its a great company, cost of living is great blah blah..relentlessly. If I asked questions that were difficult, I'd get arrogant responses and huffing and puffing on the phone, as if these questions were only minutae, but were important to me.

In the end I took the job, lasted two months when it became clear I was doing the job of 3 people, amongst other things.

My point is, these recruiters don't realise the implications of their actions. I moved lock stock and barrel to a new country based on bull**** and bluster. Yes I take responsibility for my decision, but the job was certainly mis sold to me.

On some level of consciousness, it saddens me that someone would lie and bull**** you into such a big move without any consideration as to how it may affect you. Personally, I'd never manipulate someone into doing something for my own gain, but then again I some have morals at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The worst recruiters are those who work for a bully boss in companies where turnover is extremely high, so they sell this job to unsuspecting people who think the job is as described only to have to leave for the sake of their mental health while the recruiter just gets on the phone over and over looking for fresh victims. Scumbags.

No one is perfect, sure, but at least a recruiter can check a CV ? surely that's not too difficult a task ? surely it's a basic requirement of a recruiter ?

• Advertisement

No one is perfect, sure, but at least a recruiter can check a CV ? surely that's not too difficult a task ? surely it's a basic requirement of a recruiter ?

I've had an employee of the company I work for apply for a job advert I posted because they didn't read the job advert (jobs post on a job board was branded up to the nines and started with the words "company x are recruiting for a" so not easily missed).

Surely the least they could have done was read a job advert? Surely that's a basic requirement of a job candidate?

It happens. It didn't mean that employee is scum or a sociopath and the same goes for recruiters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Perhaps the error is not storing current company on their database? It could read: madlad/boards.ieposter, without storing current company because people change all the time. So they're mass contacted on this basis, rather than actually reading people's cvs

I've had an employee of the company I work for apply for a job advert I posted because they didn't read the job advert (jobs post on a job board was branded up to the nines and started with the words "company x are recruiting for a" so not easily missed).

Surely the least they could have done was read a job advert? Surely that's a basic requirement of a job candidate?

It happens. It didn't mean that employee is scum or a sociopath and the same goes for recruiters.

Did you ever hear the expression, the customer's always right ? It is lame yes, but that's what happens when dealing with the public when your in a company.

I expect recruiters to be a bit more professional and reading cv's is a basic requirement as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the thing, you could argue it was a once off but when it happens over and over and next you know your colleagues are getting calls from the same recruiter then everyone is taking the p1ss out of the same recruiter as they call around and when different recruiters are at it it screams both desperation and unprofessional and I don't know whether to feel sorry for them if they're under such pressure or whether they're pure lazy or couldn't give a toss about the job but I do know it makes the recruiter and the recruitment company look like idiots.

I like to think I got a bit more pride in my work.

Did you ever hear the expression, the customer's always right ? It is lame yes, but that's what happens when dealing with the public when your in a company.

I expect recruiters to be a bit more professional and reading cv's is a basic requirement as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the thing, you could argue it was a once off but when it happens over and over and next you know your colleagues are getting calls from the same recruiter then everyone is taking the p1ss out of the same recruiter as they call around and when different recruiters are at it it screams both desperation and unprofessional and I don't know whether to feel sorry for them if they're under such pressure or whether they're pure lazy or couldn't give a toss about the job but I do know it makes the recruiter and the recruitment company look like idiots.

I like to think I got a bit more pride in my work.

But this is the point. If a recruiter is reading your CV then you are not the customer. At no point does money change hands in the relationship between you and the recruiter. The client company is the customer, and you are essentially the product.

Recruiters are essentially sales people and cold calling annoys people, but it annoys me even more to think that they think I'll give them the time of day if they don't do their research.

It also annoys me if I don't know the company they're talking about or even give me a proper location.

"Hi Mad_Lad, I got a job here you might be interested , the role is xxxxx and it's in Dublin xx" , and that's all the info I get.

My response is please tell me the company and exact location or I'm not interested.

Sometimes the response is "sorry I can't disclose this" , my answer is , thank you and good bye.

If a recruiter is trying to get a sale then they got to do a lot better than that or I'm not interested.

I'm not going to bother applying for a position and all the hassle it involves just to find out who the company is and the location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just to say I'm out of the 'conversation' here, I'd have been happy to answer questions only for the abuse levelled at recruiters. Like every industry there are good and bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The ...won’t tell applicants which company they are applying for a pdoition in because it will enable the applicant to contact the company directly.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with that. If a company is using a agency they don't want you to contact them directly. Thats just how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Calling all recruiters scum and the such like is just nonsense

I work in the pharmaceutical industry and the majority of companies use recruitment agencies rather than advertise themselves - and, believe it or not, the recruiters themselves are just like everyone else; some of them are crap, some of them are excellent - the good ones know that randomly firing applicants at a vacancy is a great way of ensuring that companies will not want to work with you, I'm in the middle of getting a new job (just had my medical there during the week) and the guy from the agency was excellent, he walked me through how to do a successful interview (the STARs and all that) - he was brilliant, I had never felt so confident going into an interview

So to summarise, they aren't scum - some of them are very good at what they do, others not so much - just like everybody else really...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Stheno was nice and asked people to drop the scum etc.; some people apparently have reading issues. Now I'm not nice and hence the next one wanting to go on a rant calling the c word, scum etc. or go after HR and so on will enjoy a forum ban.

Advertisement