Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gymwear as casual clothes?? Yes or no?

• 07-07-2018 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Sooo.. I am a girl in my 20s and I go to the gym 6 days a week and I pretty much don't go out at pubs/dinners out etc cause of my busy life and I recently realized my wardrobe is 75% of gym clothes and all my last shopping were gym clothes.
    Sometimes I literally wear gym clothes, workout, take a shower and get again into gym clothes and go to groceries shop or whatever.
    What are you thoughts about see someone constantly in gym clothes ? Not care at all what someone else is wearing or would you consider it unattractive/ not appropriate ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Itainire

Forgot to mention even in my work place "I am allowed" very comfy clothes and other people wear them too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don’t find it unattractive, but there’s a time and a place for me. Gym wear around the house in the evenings, out and about on a Saturday doing the groceries etc, but not for a Saturday trip into town.

Work for me is professional attire, so can’t comment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Itainire

I don't wear Gym clothes but i do wear those sports tops and t-shirts like Nike dri-fit that i do find comfortable especially in weather such as we have at the moment.

I guess be comfortable in your own self and if you like what you wear, wear it, life is to short to be worrying about what others think, enjoy it while you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My exercising clothes are in pretty poor condition and used for running in the neighbourhood woods or cycling. They are in no way presentable enough to be in them out and about. It doesn't help that a lot of gym clothing is some neon pink or similar which I really don't like. I don't mind seeing others in gym clothing in the shoops running errands but I also won't admire what they are wearing. I wouldn't wear gym clothing to a cafe or a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think it depends on the gym clothes. Some gym clothes can look good outside the gym unlike men in trackies outside the gym. Not cool at all

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Would only wear gym clothes if I had the intention of working out/going for a walk or else lazing around the house as an alternative to pyjamas incase someone called.. If I was going into town I would make more of an effort, would never wear leggings just something causal like jeans and trainers.. I think it depends what you associate with what you're doing, as in if I was to wear my pyjamas all day I'd probably get nothing done.. however I like fashion so enjoy the idea of getting dressed up and also don't go to the gym 6 days a week, so do what suits your lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

It depends on what you’re doing. Going into town or out for lunch..then no. Hiking up a hill or running to the local shop for a pint of milk, then yeh. I think it can look funky as a look. I wear it sometimes if I’m not going far...like an evening after work I might throw on some VS Pink leggings and a hoody. But I wouldn’t wear them everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Do you date? Meet friends for brunch / lunch on a Saturday? Have a social life outside of the gym?

I don't see anything wrong with wearing gym clothes regularly if you're pretty much always either going to or leaving the gym, which it seems you are. But I think it's nice to be stylish too, throw on a bit of lippy, some skinny jeans and a dress or some heels or whatever. Show off that body that you're working hard for!

I'm probably the opposite to you in that work is smart casual and I spend a lot of time at work social events so my wardrobe tends to be blazers, jeans, dresses, skirts and heels. Gym wear gets chucked into my gym bag every night and I'll change into it after work, with the occasional duvet day when I'll lounge around the house in yoga pants or whatever.

There's no rules around this stuff, I guess it's all about the image you want to portray. For me it's important to be groomed for professional reasons so there's places I wouldn't be caught dead in in my gym wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I wear gym gear a fair bit - i go to the gym about 3 times a week but also out for walks etc. I think if you've nice gym gear then its no problem to wear it outside of the gym context and people would hardly notice, once you don't look scruffy obviously.
    I wear a lot of Nike, Under Armour and Lululemon, so even in my gym gear i think I look reasonably well presented. I also have some light tops that arent strictly gym gear that i might pair with gym leggings and trainers for a slightly less sporty look. This is probably what you'd see me in in Tescos on a Saturday morning.
    As others have said, its probably not ideal for most workplaces or going out into town for lunch etc, but once you keep one or two nice outfits for the ocasional trip to town then you should be ok.

Advertisement