Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it cos I is black?

• 07-07-2018 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭

First up, we can all obviously agree that discrimination is wrong. (Well most of us).

President of the Maynooth SU tried to sue Luas for 75k because a group of young fellas who had no tickets did a runner and himself and the brother were asked to step off the Luas while the security tried to sort it.

Yes, it's a bit shitty if you had nothing to do with the trouble but it's not the end of the world. If it is as reported, it hardly seems remotely like a genuine case of discrimination.

He had another article referring some fella calling him a bad slur in an U14 football match for whatever relevance that was to the Luas incident and his feeling to an entitlement to 75k of their money

Is this something we are going to have to tip-toe around in years to come? Will we turn into the US with silent divisions and segregation and people always just watching and waiting to pounce on something that they can describe as discrimination?

http://www.universitytimes.ie/2018/07/maynooth-students-union-president-loses-e75000-defamation-action-against-luas/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He was just looking for easy money, thankfully the judge saw through his bs story.

It's a life lesson for him, at least now he knows if he wants 75 k he needs to earn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

First up, we can all obviously discrimination is wrong. (Well most of us).

President of the Maynooth SU tried to sue Luas for 75k because a group of young fellas who had no tickets did a runner and himself and the brother were asked to step off the Luas while the security tried to sort it.

Yes, it's a bit shitty if you had nothing to do with the trouble but it's not the end of the world. If it is as reported, it hardly seems remotely like a genuine case of discrimination.

He had another article referring some fella calling him a bad slur in an U14 football match for whatever relevance that was to the Luas incident and his feeling to an entitlement to 75k of their money

Is this something we are going to have to tip-toe around in years to come? Will we turn into the US with silent divisions and segregation and people always just watching and waiting to pounce on something that they can describe as discrimination?

http://www.universitytimes.ie/2018/07/maynooth-students-union-president-loses-e75000-defamation-action-against-luas/

Hopefully he got costs against him? No mention of it in article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Reading the article, it appears that the judge didn’t entirely disagree with Diop, but found that he didn’t have a legal basis to award damages, and therefore had to dismiss the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If they only asked Black people off I might be offended if I were one myself but if everyone had to get off regardless of colour then I don't see anything wrong with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

First up, we can all racist obviously but not be.
    Well maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well maybe not.

Depends on whatever you're having yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Well maybe not.

???

Not sure even Yoda could make sense of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

The fact that he was elected SU President would be strong evidence that he doesnt suffer extensive racism in his life. The fact that at 23 years of age he had to refer to an under14 match for an example of racist slurs is quite telling - it probably happened up to 10 years ago!
    I hope this chancer gets landed with all legal costs

dudara wrote: »
    Reading the article, it appears that the judge didn’t entirely disagree with Diop, but found that he didn’t have a legal basis to award damages, and therefore had to dismiss the case.

Well according to the article, they didn't even make him get off the train. Just made hand signals for them to get off.

It's not really discrimination though if you fit the description of someone who was causing trouble and they want to check.

What that description was is a little irrelevant though. Would it make it better if it had said "a group of people in Mayo jerseys", or a "group of young fellas"

Even if they had gotten him off the Luas and onto the platform, it would have only been a few minutes wait til the next one.

Fair enough if the security randomly got on the train on a random day and said "ah look, there are a few random black people on this train. Those lot are always up to no good. Let's kick them off to get the next one"

• Advertisement

The fact that he was elected SU President would be strong evidence that he doesnt suffer extensive racism in his life.

I don't know the chap, he may be very able and completely deserve the position. On the other hand, from what I understand of the climate on a lot of campuses, I wouldn't discount the possibility that he ended up as president because people are going out of their way to make sure they're not seen as racist.

From the article I find it hard to tell whether or not this was an incident of profiling to be honest.

The fact that he was elected SU President would be strong evidence that he doesnt suffer extensive racism in his life. The fact that at 23 years of age he had to refer to an under14 match for an example of racist slurs is quite telling - it probably happened up to 10 years ago!
    I hope this chancer gets landed with all legal costs

I could probably write a book on all the names I'd have been called playing U14 football.

That said, it was mostly by the parents and the referee who were wondering why a 60-odd year old future US Presidential candidate was trying to sneak in at corner-back for Ballygobackward GAA club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

He wanted 75k for that. 75! Awards in Ireland should be divided by a factor if 10, it'd stop the scroungers bothering.
    And costs awarded against them would make the no win no fee solicitors be a bit more picky about what cases they take on

Well according to the article, they didn't even make him get off the train. Just made hand signals for them to get off.

It's not really discrimination though if you fit the description of someone who was causing trouble and they want to check.

What description was that OP?

I don't know this chap nor can I possibly know his motives but another side to it could be that he was trying to stop it happen again. Getting sued usually puts manners on people.

I'm just putting it out there

wexie wrote: »
    ???

Not sure even Yoda could make sense of that?

as much sense as this makes it.
    First up, we can all obviously agree that discrimination is wrong. (Well most of us).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

DEPORT

thebull85 wrote: »
    DEPORT

based on what? Has he committed some crime we're not aware of?

Or just cause he's black?

Attempting to defraud the state, get him out.

No he wasn't, if anything he was attempting to defraud the security company for the Luas.....

G'won Bully, be honest and tell us why you'd really like to deport the chap, not like we don't already know :rolleyes:

EDIT : I see you've deleted your post, thankfully I got it in time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

DEPORT

On what basis do you propose to deport an Irish citizen?

• Advertisement

No he wasn't, if anything he was attempting to defraud the security company for the Luas.....

G'won Bully, be honest and tell us why you'd really like to deport the chap, not like we don't already know :rolleyes:

EDIT : I see you've deleted your post, thankfully I got it in time :D

I actually wasnt being serious, id of put money on yourself or captain oblivious being the first to reply to me though.

I actually wasnt being serious,

Of course you weren't, we all know you don't have a problem with people of colour at all.

There there it's okay.

:rolleyes:

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't know this chap nor can I possibly know his motives but another side to it could be that he was trying to stop it happen again. Getting sued usually puts manners on people.

I'm just putting it out there

I'd say we know his motives. 75k of them

A judgement and negative publicity against the company is what would hurt them. Whether that be 100 Euro or 75,000 Euro would not make a huge difference to their annual bottom line.

However it would make a difference to Mr. SU Pres

Of course you weren't, we all know you don't have a problem with people of colour at all.

There there it's okay.

:rolleyes:

i dont have a problem with people of colour i have a problem with scumbags, regardless of colour.

as much sense as this makes it.

Did you manage to make sense of it yet?

What description was that OP?

Jaysus, you're easily "triggered"

:pac:

A judgement and negative publicity against the company is what would hurt them. Whether that be 100 Euro or 75,000 Euro would not make a huge difference to their annual bottom line.

The bigger the payout the more they stand up and take notice. A small claim wouldn't have made the paper.

The bigger the payout the more they stand up and take notice. A small claim wouldn't have made the paper.

Ah get out of that. SU President discriminated against? Remember the big uproar about the UCD Pro-life wan. The Trinity wan who used to be a junkie and made it to the Seanad. Plenty of publicity. They have access to plenty of platforms to raise issues. Sure they have access to their own papers too

He wasn't being a hero. Was just being a greedy bollix trying to game the system

Ah get out of that. SU President discriminated against? Remember the big uproar about the UCD Pro-life wan. The Trinity wan who used to be a junkie and made it to the Seanad. Plenty of publicity. They have access to plenty of platforms to raise issues. Sure they have access to their own papers too

He wasn't being a hero. Was just being a greedy bollix trying to game the system

WTF is a "Wan"? I've googled it and no result that makes sense to your statement?
    wan
    wɒn/Submit
    adjective
    (of a person's complexion or appearance) pale and giving the impression of illness or exhaustion.
    "she was looking wan and bleary-eyed"
    synonyms: pale, pallid, ashen, white, white as a sheet, grey; More
    (of light) pale; weak.
    "the wan dawn light"
    synonyms: dim, faint, weak, feeble, pale, watery, wishy-washy
    "the wan light of the moon"
    (of a smile) lacking enthusiasm or energy.
    "he gave a wan smile"

• Advertisement

WTF is a "Wan"? I've googled it and no result that makes sense to your statement?

'yer wan from Trinity'

'that girl from Trinity'

https://www.irishslang.info/dublin/dublin/wan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Thankfully he lost. This guy probably thinks he's Rosa Parks; I don't know why you're bothering giving him the attention he clearly so desperately craves.

'yer wan from Trinity'

'that girl from Trinity'

Honestly I've never heard that in my life. Must be a country thing.

Anyway. Back to the debate

VonZan wrote: »
    Thankfully he lost. This guy probably thinks he's Rosa Parks; I don't know why you're bothering giving him the attention he clearly so desperately craves.

Ah sure at least Rosa was allowed down the back of the bus

Nothing compared to the tribulations of this poor fella

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if I was profiling anyone for misbehaving on the LUAS it wouldn't be anyone who looked like this chap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

When prospective employers do a search for Leon Diop, this case is what will define him in great part.

In his "exclusive" interview with the Independent (... not keeping his head down) after his defamation action was dismissed by a judge, he said it was the result of previous 'racial' incidents that had encouraged him to take the case against the Luas operators.
    What an odd statement. So the merits of his lawsuit were based on incidents prior to this event?

He had an issue with one of the security staff who had videoed them while they were spoken to. Does he want all CCTVs to turn off as he walks by or should security cameras in shops be switched off as soon as he enters? The video recording is a way to validate the truth, but he had an issue with it.

Well done Leon Diop. On future employer searches for your name, your €75k claim will be high up there.

Did you manage to make sense of it yet?

Nope.

It's as confusing as that opening statement 'I'm not racist, but...'

Nope.

It's as confusing as that opening statement 'I'm not racist, but...'

Disappointing comment from someone marked as a mod for "teaching and lecturing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm surprised he didn't get something, given that some other chancer got 5 grand over a fake note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Well how naive. Would employers give a job to anyone who thinks this way? How would you discipline them or give them any kind of constructive feedback? He may find that this court action will end up costing a lot more than 75k in terms of employment opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yes we will. Already the Quango sector, with broad media and official backing, has been campaigning for legislation that will enable such racial and ethnic divisions. The judiciary are well behind it, if you read the article you see the judge sympathise with Dion that he can't give him money and bemoan the lack of legislation making racial profiling a tort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Basically he thought he chance it, fight against the imagined oppression he felt from the Luas Inspectors.

He's an arsehole who happens to be black.

Delighted he's case was dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

DEPORT

Where to?

Where to?

Leitrim

That'll learn the fecker fairly lively so it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I won't hear a word said against Diop. I love his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭fash

dudara wrote: »
    DEPORT

On what basis do you propose to deport an Irish citizen?
    Cavan people back to Cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly theres an easy way of responding to this kind of argument.

Random Black Jerk turns around starts making claims he's being "discriminated". (trying to be a cute hoor)

The best answer, "O really is that what you think? Or are we just trying to play that card because IM white?"

Now whos the "racist?" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

As a white person im offended that this black persons was offended. Can I have €75k please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

As a white person im offended that this black persons was offended. Can I have €75k please.

Sure, but I'm offended by your offence at another person being offended so you'll have to give the €75k to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is it not the natural progression for a power hungry cnut calling himself a "student president" to want to progress into the world of adult politics?

He craves power over people and has the neck to pull the race card

• Advertisement
Advertisement