Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour De France Stage 1 : Noirmoutier-En-L'Ïle - Fontenay-Le-Comte, 201km

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

I Have a feeling that Chris froome won't finish this race. The focus needed to win a race like this can't be there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

sxt wrote: »
    I Have a feeling that Chris froome won't finish this race. The focus needed to win a race like this can't be there

Why not, he won the Giro with a cloud hanging over him, showing great mental fortitude, I would have thought now he has been cleared his head is in a much better place. Not sure its possible to win the Giro and the Tour myself, but I don't think its his mentality that will prevent him winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

sxt wrote:

If he doesn't win it won't be down to focus. Will be down to circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Inquitus wrote: »
    How bad is the UAE TTT? It has to be better than at the Dauphine?

Martin said they'll be better but you'd still be thinking at least 90 seconds of a loss to top teams. Today has helped negate that somewhat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Dan had the good luck today for a change
    Needs timeto negate the TTT, IT and Roubaix stages

Think Thomas will have the yellow after monday and if not then after Roubaix stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Inquitus wrote: »
    Why not, he won the Giro with a cloud hanging over him, showing great mental fortitude, I would have thought now he has been cleared his head is in a much better place. Not sure its possible to win the Giro and the Tour myself, but I don't think its his mentality that will prevent him winning.

I think the cloud over the Giro was what kept him most determined and focused. Maybe I won't race again?

I don't think he can maintain that focus. I think the mental toll and hence physical toll from competing in this tour will mean he won't come close to finishing this tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Dan had the good luck today for a change
    Needs timeto negate the TTT, IT and Roubaix stages

Think Thomas will have the yellow after monday and if not then after Roubaix stage

Someone from BMC, not Porte, might well have it after the TTT, GVA or TJVG finished in the front group today, Sky will defo be there or thereabouts. GVA could well keep it through the cobbles as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I wasn't unhappy to hear that Froome lost time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.facebook.com/letour/videos/1720241951358510/

Video of froomes crash from the bike behind him. Idiot looks like he had his head down looking at his power meter and didnt see the bend in the road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

retalivity wrote: »

Video of froomes crash from the bike behind him. Idiot looks like he had his head down looking at his power meter and didnt see the bend in the road

My brain read the accompanying official tweet as "Unfortunately the reigning champion got back on his bike" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He's not going to be looking at his power meter in a flat bunch final.

Looks to me like Froome was moving up to the right of Zabel and failed to avoid his handlebars. Normal racing incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Hardly

Was Wiggins participation on Eurosport during the tour just the ads for crazy priced Le Col gear??? Let's hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Was Wiggins participation on Eurosport during the tour just the ads for crazy priced Le Col gear??? Let's hope so.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/tour-de-france/2018/eurosport-signs-sir-bradley-wiggins-for-exclusive-tour-de-france-digital-series_sto6825899/story.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Craddock reported to have a small fracture in the scapula. Nearly breaks down in interview at the thought of not starting but will see how he feels on the bike in the morning.
    Will be a blow to Urans chances in the TTT
    https://twitter.com/Ride_Argyle/status/1015611543789039616

I currently have stitches more or less where he's bleeding from his neck there and they are an absolute bastard. You have to twist your whole body to avoid tugging them. Did try the bike this week but knew the moment I sat on it i couldn't look right effectively + given the heat sweat getting into the wound stung like a you know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I didn't catch the race live so only catching up with the footage now but there looked to be a noticeable split after the first handful of sprinters. Was there any reason why all the first group were given the same time. To me the gap looked to be greater than 2 seconds, i know it seems trivial but rules are rules
    JEsVSU4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Is the time gap not 3 seconds on sprint stages now, introduced last year to reduce the panic at the end of a stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Is the time gap not 3 seconds on sprint stages now, introduced last year to reduce the panic at the end of a stage.

Yep.

http://www.velonews.com/2018/02/news/uci-confirms-time-gap-rule-adds-tv-jury_456181

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No thread for today’s stage! People losing interest already..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well if you're not prepared to do it yourself don't point the finger at 'people'

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    No thread for today’s stage! People losing interest already..

I'm away till Tuesday so will do some when I'm back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Only saw the highlights this evening. Was delighted when Bora Hansgrobe pushed on when Froome went down

If you were to pick a GC rider to do that it would be Majka

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Only saw the highlights this evening. Was delighted when Bora Hansgrobe pushed on when Froome went down

If you were to pick a GC rider to do that it would be Majka

At the point in the race, where Froome crashed, nobody was ever going to wait for him. There was less than 10kms to go. The race, at that moment, was well and truly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Froome was serious lucky to miss that concrete post!

Advertisement