Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup mascots.

• 07-07-2018 10:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

For the time that's in it anyone remember World Cup mascots of yesteryear? The first I remember was Spain 82 with an orange dressed in football gear, though at the time I thought he was an apple. There was a sticker of him on the door of the toilet in our local for years afterwards. The 86 Mexico one I thought looked stupid, a kind of bean man with a huge sombrero, seem to remember you could get him in Kinder Eggs at the time.

naranjito.jpg

46c83dafc227f6183f51d89e12e6ba1b--futbol-soccer-play-soccer.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The one I remember best is the Italia 90 Stick Man with the Football Head, I think he was also in the RTE title sequence

D_Q_NP_917532-MLB27360049894_052018-Q.jpg

As well as the giant orange, Spain 82 also featured Sport Billy, who was also in a television cartoon series. I think he was a kind of FIFA Fair Play Mascot.

20741222.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Skid X wrote: »
    The one I remember best is the Italia 90 Stick Man with the Football Head, I think he was also in the RTE title sequence

D_Q_NP_917532-MLB27360049894_052018-Q.jpg

As well as the giant orange, Spain 82 also featured Sport Billy, who was also in a television cartoon series. I think he was a kind of FIFA Fair Play Mascot.

20741222.jpg

Stick man got some "stick" at the time for being too boring but I think he's aged well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Stick man got some "stick" at the time for being too boring but I think he's aged well.

Ah yeah, Sticky had an odd look about him but in fairness he's still well remembered. Iconic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Good images here.
    I loved Ciao and Striker :)

CEgO0D3WMAEMFAe.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Good images here.
    I loved Ciao and Striker :)

CEgO0D3WMAEMFAe.jpg

The most recent one that jumps out at me is Striker the USA 94 dog, all the ones since went over my head clearly. I seem to vaguely remember for France 98 they had these giant figures for the opening ceremony that were supposed to represent each continent, they kind of looked like giant manga characters or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The 1986 World Cup is the first one I can remember

Advertisement