Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry Kane 'one of our own' ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Same as claiming daniel day lewis and others then to be fair. His dad and grandfather are irish so we do have a 'claim' on him. (Yes that pun was intentional, given his recent goal)
    And tbf he is probably more irish then half the lads that play for the republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cringey stuff.

He decided to play for England. Can we not just leave it at that, RTÉ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Cringey stuff.

He decided to play for England. Can we not just leave it at that, RTÉ?
    Agreed. He's gone, no use whining about what might have been. But hey; if Tony "the ice cream man" Cascarino can claim to be Irish, then why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I think plenty here who have emigrated to the likes of the UK or Australia and had kids would still see their kids as half Irish. No different to Kane really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The whole thing was not as bad as claiming Obama and JFK.
    But still, the whole thing seemed a bit off to me, grasping at straws.

Obama didn't know much about his Irish roots. The Kennedys, however, were well aware of their roots and proud of them.

I don't see the problem with feeling good about someone with a connection to Ireland, providing the person involved actually feels a reciprocal warmth. From what I gather, Kane and his family respect their roots so good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Another masterstroke by the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Same as claiming daniel day lewis and others then to be fair. His dad and grandfather are irish so we do have a 'claim' on him. (Yes that pun was intentional, given his recent goal)
    And tbf he is probably more irish then half the lads that play for the republic

Daniel Day Lewis is an Irish citizen and lives in Roundwood, Co Wicklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Obama didn't know much about his Irish roots. The Kennedys, however, were well aware of their roots and proud of them.

I don't see the problem with feeling good about someone with a connection to Ireland, providing the person involved actually feels a reciprocal warmth. From what I gather, Kane and his family respect their roots so good luck to them.

The Kennedys knew there was a huge amount of votes in it for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Harmless, and silly. Same when British press "claim" Irish Actors etc.

It's coming home. Or not.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Silly thing to be getting worked up about really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Martin Keown, co commentator for BBC today has two Irish parents, don't think anyone's claiming him as Irish. It would be silly otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I think plenty here who have emigrated to the likes of the UK or Australia and had kids would still see their kids as half Irish. No different to Kane really
    It comes down to the individual. I have 5 year old twin cousins in Australia, Irish father, Aussie mother. One swears he's half Irish the other claims he's 100% Aussie. The "Aussie" even mocks his brother for being "Irish"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Martin Keown, co commentator for BBC today has two Irish parents, don't think anyone's claiming him as Irish. It would be silly otherwise.

Whatever we think about Keown on commentary, he's very proud of his Irish roots. I saw an interview with him before and he grew up being more Irish than the Irish themselves and was steeped in music and history.

The op raises the question of the FAI and the same old story of "could have played for Ireland but we missed out". A lot of this seems to be from calling up players and never actually giving them game time.
    The only reason we saw some new lads getting a run out was out of necessity lately,had more of the usual heads been available I doubt as many of the new boys would have set foot on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

So Harry Kane is 1/4 Irish? Not half?

Would obviously qualify him for an Irish passport, but not a British one if it was the other way round. Fairly tenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

His son has played for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Will we be seeing the Harry Kane Plaza on the m18 soon?

Like that embarrassment on the m7...

Why would that embarrass you? It’s a selling point for an otherwise nondescript village and they are getting a benefit from it. The first Black man ever elected POTUS and one of the most popular us presidents ever decided to trace his roots to there, why not let the locals make a euro out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

So technically if England win the world cup we will be quarter world cup champions. I'd better suss out where my nearest tattoo shop is.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The bullsh1te merchants on newstalk are spinning the agenda around 'should we support the English team' as they try to fill airspace during the political silly summer season. Pretty embarrassing stuff, especially yer wan on the early morning show saying (in all seriousness) "sure aren't Harry Kane and Harry Maguire Irish anyway".
    While Kane has some Irish connections, trying to claim him as one of our own is fvcking embarrassing. It's similar to the likes of The Scum or Daily Mail reporters claiming that Eire is part of the UK, or the morning TV presenters last year claiming Saoirse Ronan as British last year.

Get a fvcking life lads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The bullsh1te merchants on newstalk are spinning the agenda around 'should we support the English team' as they try to fill airspace during the political silly summer season. Pretty embarrassing stuff, especially yer wan on the early morning show saying (in all seriousness) "sure aren't Harry Kane and Harry Maguire Irish anyway".
    While Kane has some Irish connections, trying to claim him as one of our own is fvcking embarrassing. It's similar to the likes of The Scum or Daily Mail reporters claiming that Eire is part of the UK, or the morning TV presenters last year claiming Saoirse Ronan as British last year.

Get a fvcking life lads....

It's constant on Newstalk, its ridiculous at this satge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I'm proud to have a petrol station named after a lad who bombed the **** out of the middle east and killed countless with drones. Yeah, a great lad.

I remember being very uneasy when Obama was in a Moneygall pub and casually said on camera.
    'The last Guinness I had was during a stopover in Shannon!'

Just to reiterate I am implying that Harry Kane partook in any stopovers nor do I have any problem with Kane drinking Guinness!

The bit that grates on me is the fella clearly views himself and English NOT Irish so why claim him as 'Irish'?
    He never even considered playing for Ireland as a 'fall back' position if he did not get an England call up.

The money making aspect for an area is the only valid reason for doing so.
    Maybe stag nights and hen nights will converge on Letterfrack now?

If any young fella from that area becomes a pro footballer on the back of Harry Kane in the 2018 world cup, I will hold my hands up and admit that I was wrong.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

There's also a Thomas Delaney playing for Denmark. That name certainly has more Irish roots than Danish.

There's also Tim Cahill for Australia and a few other names that are Irish in origin. The US has a few Irish named players also. Maguire for England which has already been mentioned, and we can't forget Rooney's big potato head as well, he would still be our captain if he played for us.

Emigration has certainly messed Ireland over for the last 150 years.

Free pint in Molly's in letterfrack every time Harry scores.... (Kane not the Windsor fella)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/letterfrack-locals-hopeful-of-a-visit-from-england-hero-kane-1.3558102

Marketing genius..... :D

His son has played u21 for Ireland but apparently he wants to switch to NI now.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/niall-keown-switches-allegiance-republic-12566623

Shows how flimsy International football is these days on eligibility rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I can forgive him for playing for England but not Spurs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There's also a Thomas Delaney playing for Denmark. That name certainly has more Irish roots than Danish.
    American, actually - from his grandad. But he was born and has lived his whole life in Denmark (as has Kane with England) so he'd be more Danish than American

Just chiming in with it because I googled him out of interest when he played them last year, the name definitely stands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I always thought Kane's father was from Galway but the Connacht Tribune article says it was his grandfather. If that's the case it is a minor footnote and should never be mentioned again. My dad was born and raised in Tipperary. They wouldn't make my top 30 favourite hurling county teams.

Advertisement