Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peak Trans

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I "feel like" a woman because I am an adult female human. I have periods, I've given birth, I have hormonal fluctuations. All those "feelings" are entirely based on my biology.

So if you never had periods or given birth due to some medical condition, I guess you wouldn’t feel female.... would you feel Male?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    So if you never had periods or given birth due to some medical condition, I guess you wouldn’t feel female.... would you feel Male?

No, because female - "of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) that can be fertilized by male gametes."

I would still be of the female sex wouldn't I?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    No, because female - "of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) that can be fertilized by male gametes."

I would still be of the female sex wouldn't I?

So your feelings of being female come from your production of gametes?

LLMMLL wrote:
    So your feelings of being female come from your production of gametes?

Genuine question, If someone felt as though they were an animal, would it be disrespectful to not accept it despite having them having a different genetic make-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Genuine question, If someone felt as though they were an animal, would it be disrespectful to not accept it despite having them having a different genetic make-up?

And would a dog groomer get prosecuted for refusing to cut their hair ?

Malayalam wrote: »
    From the beginning I have held to the basic science of gender biology - the fundamentals. That is where I have the problem - the ideology of transgenderism pushes an idea, especially in childhood education and social policy towards gender dysphoria in children, as has been referenced many, many times in this thread, that gender is a social construct. It is not. It is biological. People are not born in the ''wrong bodies''. Adults may access modern science to adjust their bodies to their desires, but if we as a civilisation do not hold rationally to science with respect to our children's education and nurture, we are going to be really messed up in the future.

Well said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I posed this once in a genuine fashion with regard identifying as a different race as opposed to a different gender and was told by a moderator that anybody doing that was obviously mentally ill or a con artist. Then I was red carded from the thread.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I posed this once in a genuine fashion with regard identifying as a different race as opposed to a different gender and was told by a moderator that anybody doing that was obviously mentally ill or a con artist. Then I was red carded from the thread.

That's crazy talk, you cant chance race or even species, just gender, changing gender is perfectly normal and if you think otherwise your an arsehole! Or so I'm led to believe.

If there were a large number of people (and no I can’t put a figure on the number but let’s say a similar number to the number of trans people) who felt they were a dog then I’d certainly be interested in finding out more as to why this might be and what they were experiencing.

However there isn’t a large number of people who feel they are animals. I’m sure someone will be along shortly to post a story about a guy who thinks he’s a fox or something but that doesn’t make it a large number. People feeling they are animals is basically a hypothetical stick to beat transgender people with.

And I don’t see how it’s any different to comparing a gay person to someone who is Attracted to rollercoasters which I believe was a channel 4 type documentary before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Omackeral wrote: »

Don't let them misrace you. #transblack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This thread continues to go deep down the rabbit hole I see :rolleyes:

There's male and female. These are distinguished by unarguable biological differences.

You can believe that you were born the wrong sex and that's fine... you can even (as an adult aware of the consequences) take steps to reinforce that belief though surgery and hormone treatment and that's fine too.
    Not everyone HAS to agree with you or recognize your belief/choice, but so long as they are at least respectful, that's fine as well.

But please... enough of this BS that "feelings" > biological facts and reality because it just doesn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not everyone HAS to agree with you or recognize your belief/choice, but so long as they are at least respectful, that's fine as well.

The trouble is that SJW types don't want this to go both ways. For instance, the whole issue of not respecting a person's heterosexual identity when they say that they'd only want to do anything sexual with a biological member of the opposite sex. That's the kind of area in which this becomes a serious issue - there are people out there who argue that a straight person is some kind of Nazi if they wouldn't be open to sexual relations with a biological member of the same sex who identified as another, or had been surgically reassigned. That's f*cked up no matter how one looks at it. To suggest that having sexual preferences is wrong or immoral is essentially questioning the concept of sexual consent.

I'd argue that it's massively disrespectful for anyone who is not biologically the opposite gender, to knowingly date someone who's heterosexual without telling them. And I'd go further and say that it would be dishonest and disrespectful for mel to, for instance, set up a Tinder profile to appear to men seeking women, because I identify as a woman. There's all sorts of stuff going on around that, and IMO it's just not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The trouble is that SJW types don't want this to go both ways. For instance, the whole issue of not respecting a person's heterosexual identity when they say that they'd only want to do anything sexual with a biological member of the opposite sex. That's the kind of area in which this becomes a serious issue - there are people out there who argue that a straight person is some kind of Nazi if they wouldn't be open to sexual relations with a biological member of the same sex who identified as another, or had been surgically reassigned. That's f*cked up no matter how one looks at it. To suggest that having sexual preferences is wrong or immoral is essentially questioning the concept of sexual consent.

I'd argue that it's massively disrespectful for anyone who is not biologically the opposite gender, to knowingly date someone who's heterosexual without telling them. And I'd go further and say that it would be dishonest and disrespectful for me to, for instance, set up a Tinder profile to appear to men seeking women, because I identify as a woman. There's all sorts of stuff going on around that, and IMO it's just not right.

Yep, wholeheartedly agree and I'd be one of those people who would have a serious issue with it (commented as such earlier myself) :)

As a straight man, I am only interested in original/biological women... no if's, and's or but's about it.

A trans person is not the same as the biological equivalent and while this causes no real issues in everyday interaction (where I would treat them as whatever sex they identify as out of courtesy and decency), I will not pretend it makes no difference when it comes to relationships and sex.

If that hurts someone's feelings then I'm sorry.. but again feelings do not outweigh biology and facts, nor do they overrule my own right to choose NOT to get emotionally/physically involved with such a person.

A trans person lying or withholding the truth from someone in a dating/sexual context however is inexcusable and equivalent to catfishing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I actually feel for trans people that have to read this thread, despite my contribution.

It comes down to this - acceptance is when society doesn’t discriminate because of being trans. But don’t expect to have fundamental language like male and female be redefined for you. Don’t take the pis in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanrambo87

He (not "he") started taking male hormones weeks before the incident not afterwards. I think the result of this is a great step torward to prevent discrimination.

Really? I must have read that wrong so, let's be honest here its a woman, not a man, there are only two genders and they are not interchangeable as much as that may be pushed upon us.

Its time for common sense to take the helm here. In my opinion it is a mental illness and we are being forced to swallow a dangerous pill here. What is the limit? Can I just say I'm Thomas the tank engine?

Mod-Banned

Any chance you could stop deliberately misgendering him?

Get up ourrra that

youd have thought we'd have heard of the couple with their own personal fire engine service.

what are their names

The flamers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Remember when After Hours was the place for fun threads and was generally a bit of craic? Because threads like this really, really bring AH down.

Closing for everybody's good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement