Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peak Trans

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Grayson wrote: »
    Would you be in favor of a Russian styled law which would ban it?

The strange thing is that I don't hear this stuff all day long. And when I do it doesn't bother me. Maybe you should ask why it bothers you.
    Mostly people here espouse liberalism. You should be able to say and do what you want and if you want to alter your body in profound ways as an adult so be it. But that should not apply to children and all your official records must label your actual biological sex. Although people can refer to you by your new 'sex', one cannot demand the privilages that a certain sex provides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

wexie wrote: »
    That is entirely possible :o

I presume that's the case everywhere no?

Like I said it's entirely possible I'm misinformed but it was my understanding Ireland is still quite conservative in these matters?

No. Not at all. Ireland is considered a world leader and extremely liberal in these matters. In many countries trans people cant go through legal recognition until they have had numerous medical declarations. In many liberal countries they have forced sterilisation before legal recognition.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

In many liberal countries they have forced sterilisation before legal recognition.

:confused:

Did you mean to write liberal there?

Like before it's entirely possible I misunderstand but I don't see how liberal and forced anything really go hand in hand?

Thanks by the way for replying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Taytoland wrote: »
    Sick and tired of hearing about LGBT all the time, daily on TV or radio etc, propaganda which can be smelled a mile off.

Would you be in favor of a Russian styled law which would ban it?

The strange thing is that I don't hear this stuff all day long. And when I do it doesn't bother me. Maybe you should ask why it bothers you.
    You would think we live in  Russia or something with the way you hear LGBT all the time as if they are up against huge discrimination laws. It's probably the best place or places to live for gay people in Ireland or the UK right now for multiple reasons. Yet you would never know it. I just think a lot of people are sick of hearing about it. It's like life would be boring if they didn't have something to whine about.

Like before it's entirely possible I misunderstand but I don't see how liberal and forced anything really go hand in hand?

Yes. Sweden had forced sterilisation until this year.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Rennaws wrote: »
    Like many here I couldn’t give a monkeys what gender you want to call yourself as long as you don’t..

1) Expect me to deny scientific fact
    2) Require me to change my behavior

Trans people form less then .5% of the population. We live in a very straight and binary world. Everyone should be accommodated and treated equally to a point but there will always be minority groups who feel hard done by..

Life’s not fair.

Point 2) above. Minority groups these days want OTHERS to bend to their will, rather than accepting the tradegy of life and carrying their cross with honour. It’s all your fault, there is no personal responsibility.

Yes. Sweden had forced sterilisation until this year.

wow...

I don't even know what to say to that to be honest, sounds pretty barbaric.

Do you know what the reasoning behind this was? Were there any medical reasons or was it more a case of 'well you can't have both?'

wow...

Do you know what the reasoning behind this was? Were there any medical reasons or was it more a case of 'well you can't have both?'

When gender identity first became a thing in the 70s Sweden was one of the first countries in the world to legislate for legal sex change. Back then being transgender was viewed very very differently and very much internationally viewed as a mental illness - forced sterilisation was still broadly acceptable in the 70s for all sorts of groups having come from the eugenics movement and carried out regularly on women, people with disabilities, people with intersex conditions and trans identities.

I think there was also some sort of moral judgement that trans people couldnt really be parents.

Only in the last 2 or 3 years forced sterilisation is being banned Europewide and in other places like Japan.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wow...

For all the land of openness and liberalism stuff Sweden is described as today they had quite the dubious record on a few matters. If anything one might argue that their current status as the right on Tumblr of nations is down to an overcompensation for their past.

Sweden bought into the same eugenics type thinking that dodgy regimes like the Nazis and Communists did. It wasn't just trans people who were sterilised. Those considered mentally ill, the disabled, or feeble of mind, or even antisocial types were sterilised, lest this got passed on to the next generation. Tens of thousands were treated in this way. Mostly voluntarily, though the jury's out on how that was measured. Transexuals were the last group that had this as a mandatory requirement before transition(though it wasn't up to last year, 2010 IIRC). They were force sterilising the other groups of people into the late 70's. Next time you see an ABBA video, think on that for a moment. Not exactly aeons ago. China and Russia still have some of these programmes in place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Only in the last 2 or 3 years forced sterilisation is being banned Europewide.
    Which suggests it was actively in place before that time in Europe. Not so. Post war it was very much frowned upon. The only countries that used it to any degree were Switzerland and Sweden.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I knew about a some of the forced sterilization programs, I think Canada only stopped some of their programs in the 80's or so.
    Just didn't think that it would have been up till so recently in what I would consider to be somewhat more enlightened countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It is so strange seeing the likes of Germaine Greer and Camille Paglia becoming Pariahs for holding opinions that many people have internally, but dare not vocalise..

I have been with two people who went from male to female and the internal dialogue and issues that one of those people had seemed to stem from dysfunctional parents, acrimonious divorce in childhood.

I felt myself that therapy might help, rather than gender realignement. There's just a mad rush to 'enable' people without a pause and a think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Sterilisation is the use of techniques - surgical or medical - that leaves a human unable to reproduce.

It is barbaric that people have been forced at any time to be sterilised against their will or knowledge.
    Pubertal suppression with gonadotropin releasing agonists (GnRH-a) not only prevents development of potentially distressing secondary sex characteristics but also suspends germ cell maturation. Puberty appears to progress normally after discontinuation. However, many transgender individuals initiate gender-affirming hormone therapy concurrently with pubertal suppression, and thus, germ cells never fully mature. This highlights the need for discussion of fertility options before initiating GnRH-a treatment.

Gender-affirming hormones produce impairments in gonadal histology that can cause infertility. Estrogen use by transgender women results in impaired spermatogenesis and an absence of Leydig cells in the testis. Testosterone use by transgender men causes ovarian stromal hyperplasia and follicular atresia. Gonadal effects of gender-affirming hormones are thought to be at least partially reversible. For example, pregnancy has been reported in transgender men who have previously used testosterone. Thresholds have not been established for the amount and duration of exogenous testosterone or estrogen exposure necessary to have a permanent negative effect on fertility.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5685253/

Granted, gender affirmation hormones - as far as I know - have moved into the area of adult medical treatment. And I would like to keep it to children. Though cross sex hormones post puberty blockers can be administered in places such as the Netherlands from age 16 (which I see as still very young - it is not old enough to vote or drive or drink).
    From what I can see as a lay person the jury is still out on whether or not puberty blockers have a long term affect on fertility, and whether or not full reversal is possible universally. There has simply not been enough rigorous investigation of these hormones given to children. It may be that the rush to childhood hormones in trans-identifying children may - in a percentage - result in sterilsation or at least seriously compromised fertility.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Germaine Greer is rightly a pariah these days since she has spouted some ludicrous rubbish in a desperate attempt at becoming relevant again. Since she is now claiming that rape is really no big deal, most reasonable people don't give a crap about what she says about anything anymore.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Which suggests it was actively in place before that time in Europe. Not so. Post war it was very much frowned upon. The only countries that used it to any degree were Switzerland and Sweden.
    Eh France, Finland, Greece and many other Eastern European countries used it for trans people too.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Glad a certain someone isn't getting the kind of attention they grave on boards.

I do think a lot of people are getting ****ing sick of being talked down to on issues "we don't understand" though.

I do think a lot of people are getting ****ing sick of being talked down to on issues "we don't understand" though.

To be honest I don't mind so much being told I don't understand something. But I do normally like it to be followed up with an effort to help me understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Like many here I couldn’t give a monkeys what gender you want to call yourself as long as you don’t..

1) Expect me to deny scientific fact
    2) Require me to change my behavior

Trans people form less then .5% of the population. We live in a very straight and binary world. Everyone should be accommodated and treated equally to a point but there will always be minority groups who feel hard done by..

Life’s not fair.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, I have very strong views on the subject but didn't feel my input was needed, but I can't not reply to this.

This is a sentence I hear so frequently, but never understand. It always reminds me of when people say "I'm not racist, but......", and 99.9% of the time, it's followed by an obviously racist statement.

So please, what is the "point" at which everybody/minorities should no longer be accommodated and treated equally?

This is a genuine question.

To be honest I don't mind so much being told I don't understand something. But I do normally like it to be followed up with an effort to help me understand.

Ya well that's a given with pretentious people. Feeling the need to "educate" us.

• Advertisement

Eh France, Finland, Greece and many other Eastern European countries used it for trans people too.

France used it for mental health issues, if a person was assessed as being, at a clinical level, 'debile' (Collins Dictionary), they might be a candidate for sterilisation. Right up to the 1970s, early 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

robindch wrote: »

The only people pushing the idea that transgenderism is a pervasive, societal threat, especially to children, are people like Jordan Peterson (who makes enormous sums of money from talking up this threat), groups like the Iona Institute (who make political capital from talking up this threat) and movements like the far-right/alt-right neo-Nazis and white supremacists (ditto).

Jordan Peterson has nothing against trans people and has never said anything negative about them. His beef was with being legally forced to address people with any ridiculous pronoun they chose to come up with. I wouldn't put him in the same category as the Iona Institute at all. He's willing to debate and learn and admit when he's wrong, and is anti ideology unlike them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, I have very strong views on the subject but didn't feel my input was needed, but I can't not reply to this.

This is a sentence I hear so frequently, but never understand. It always reminds me of when people say "I'm not racist, but......", and 99.9% of the time, it's followed by an obviously racist statement.

So please, what is the "point" at which everybody/minorities should no longer be accommodated and treated equally?

He gave the answer in the post you quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Good friends of mine have a middle child of 3 Uber competitive daughters who insisted for most of her childhood that she was a boy. She now is a happy adult woman, heterosexual, and laughs at that time saying how it was her way of getting attention. Imagine she had been force fed hormones and had a penis grafted on???!

Up to the point they don't form or support a lobby that seeks to completely disengage science from what are to be accepted going forward as 'facts' maybe?

especially when it comes to the education of the impressionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wibbs wrote: »
    The WHO had being trans as a mental disorder as late as 2016. So not exactly decades ago. And as I said many of the same experts who were OK with it being described as such are now not OK with it and the "vast majority of evidence" supported both positions until quite recently. Personally I wouldn't have labeled it a mental illness, though could see why it was and many trans people present with mental illnesses because of their condition. I would label it a gender condition, with a side order of dysmorphia.

Ok, so you don't think that experts are qualified to make these decisions. Who should then? The posters here who haven't got a clue? The octopus that made football predictions?

I'm trying to figure out if you disagree with me when I say that any treatment should be decided by experts or if you're just arguing for the sake of it.

btw, that article is behind a paywall for me. Could you post a transcript? Not all of us are fancy enough to have a subscription to the washington post. :P

• Advertisement

Ok, so you don't think that experts are qualified to make these decisions. Who should then? The posters here who haven't got a clue? The octopus that made football predictions?

I'm trying to figure out if you disagree with me when I say that any treatment should be decided by experts or if you're just arguing for the sake of it.

btw, that article is behind a paywall for me. Could you post a transcript? Not all of us are fancy enough to have a subscription to the washington post. :P

Bing cache.

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=https%3a%2f%2fwww.washingtonpost.com%2fnews%2fmorning-mix%2fwp%2f2016%2f07%2f28%2fthe-w-h-o-says-being-transgender-is-a-mental-illness-but-thats-about-to-change%2f&d=4513393969070682&mkt=en-IE&setlang=en-US&w=6n8MCWbEV0QEdBiwccT45lDVQ_N-nG63

Thanks by the way for replying.

There was a point where eugenics was seen as very ethical and better for society. The number of famous people in the 20's-50's who thought eugenics was good is astounding. Thankfully most of the western world is now more focused on individual rights.

As a side note israel was secretly giving contraceptives to black jews to stop them having kids as recently as 2013. And there's many other countries that have similar stories.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/30/forced-contraception-jewish-ethopian-women

Amalgam wrote: »

Cheers. I think we need to bring in a house rule that we shouldn't link to subscription sites :)

Interesting article. It's clear that gender incongruence is a thing but most of the mental anguish that people felt is caused by external factors.
    The study also reveals how much a toll societal stigma can have on a young person. A 2012 study showed that teenagers who grew up with unsupportive families had a 57 percent suicide rate, compared to a 4 suicide rate for those who had supportive families. Some studies show that transgender people can develop post-traumatic stress disorder just from being transgender.

There's a hell of a lot of posters here who would qualify as unsupportive. That was one of the reasons WHO changed the characterization because it added stigma to people who are trans and enabled people who are transphobic to say that trans people are mentally ill.

Cheers.

Google has removed the 'cached' option for certain news outlets, after gettiing the willies following various court cases and the threats of ongoing legal action.

Bing is your friend for the 'cached' option on most, including newspaper, URLs..

Malayalam wrote: »
    Up to the point they don't form or support a lobby that seeks to completely disengage science from what are to be accepted going forward as 'facts' maybe?

especially when it comes to the education of the impressionable.

Where/who is this so called lobby?

I attend LGBT events, I work in healthcare, I am very active among the community/clubs/societies. I am yet to encounter anything of the sort.

I know many, many transgender people and their families. Never, ever has any of them spoken to me about science i.e. what genitalia they were born with. I would image it is because it is absolutely none of my damn business/concern. Nobody is trying to target the "impressionable", as you are making it sound.

Look, I am a cis-gendered woman, I am not the person who should be giving opinions on this because it does not effect my daily life and although I may try, I cannot possibly understand/give insight into it. I would never in a million years, regardless of topic or situation say, "everybody should be treated equally, up to a point..." because its a total paradox.

I really feel like this is a thread that needs to be closed. It doesn't warrant opinions in after hours.

• Advertisement

I really feel like this is a thread that needs to be closed. It doesn't warrant opinions in after hours.

Good grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Every other thread in AH sooner or later ends in "won't somebody think of the children"...now someone opens a thread actually thinking of the children and you want it closed...

hmm...

peasant wrote: »
    Every other thread in AH sooner or later ends in "won't somebody think of the children"...now someone opens a thread actually thinking of the children and you want it closed...

hmm...

Feel free to go back through my post history. I have never once posted a "won't somebody think of the children" type reply. I think the thread should be closed because after hours does not need a thread full of people commenting on another person's gender.

If there was a thread discussing sexuality, inter-race relationships, ethnic minorities etc. in a similar manner/tone, it would be closed immediately.

The thread started out from miniature rubber genitals to something a lot more interesting and diverse. The thread has 'matured' very well, wether it is in After Hours or not doesn't really matter.

Try and see past the end of your own nose.

Feel free to go back through my post history. I have never once posted a "won't somebody think of the children" type reply. I think the thread should be closed because after hours does not need a thread full of people commenting on another person's gender.

If there was a thread discussing sexuality, inter-race relationships, ethnic minorities etc. in a similar manner/tone, it would be closed immediately.

I never intended to comment on other people's gender, as I made clear in the OP. My issue is with the rush to medicalisation of gender dysphoria in young children. I don't see this tone you are speaking of - people have been simply giving their opinions and curiosities, very few have even been suggestive of transphobia. I think a society - of which Boards forms a part - should be allowed, even encouraged, to discuss such consequent matters freely. I have given examples of the lobby - in the fields of education and medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Amalgam wrote: »
    The thread started out from miniature rubber genitals to something a lot more interesting and diverse. The thread has 'matured' very well, wether it is in After Hours or not doesn't really matter.

Try and see past the end of your own nose.

It's unfortunately an all too common trend in such topics.

The most "progressive" elements seem entirely resistant to actual debate, questions, or counter-points on a topic and will instead resort to name-calling, baseless accusations, and then attempts/calls to have the discussion shut down entirely.

It only weakens their position IMO and it's ultimately self-defeating as others will harden their own stance against such tactics (and by extension whatever merits the argument itself may have) as a result.

If something is "right" then it should be able to withstand a healthy and reasonable discussion.

Malayalam wrote: »
    I never intended to comment on other people's gender, as I made clear in the OP. My issue is with the rush to medicalisation of gender dysphoria in young children. I don't see this tone you are speaking of - people have been simply giving their opinions and curiosities, very few have even been suggestive of transphobia. I think a society - of which Boards forms a part - should be allowed, even encouraged, to discuss such consequent matters freely. I have given examples of the lobby - in the fields of education and medicine.

Ok then let me pose this question to you;

Have you ever encountered a young child who is transgender?

Because I have, and it is a very difficult situation for both child and parent. Say for example you have a child who has been born with male genitalia and has been identified as a boy since birth. From toddler age they begin to display tendencies which are more commonly associated with those of a girl.

When the child starts to speak, they been to vocalize that they are a girl. They are not a boy. They do not want to be a boy and you are wrong.

Say you as a parent, ignore this/challenge this/try and convince your child otherwise. Imagine how detrimental that would be in the long term.

Say this child progresses to age 6/7 and continues to vocalize that they are a girl, not a boy. They do this at home, in school, everywhere. They are adamant. You continue to try a squash this/encourage your child to hide same.

This continues to age 8/9, your child still has not hit puberty but a big personality change has been noted. You child continues to vocalize that they are a girl, not a boy. Difference is after 5/6 years of telling your child that they are a boy and if they still feel like they are a girl when the are older, you can talk about it then, they are now showing signs of depression and everything that goes with it (i.e. self harm, suicidal ideation).

I have worked in CAMHS and seen kids of 8/9 with suicidal ideation. If it was due to the reasons above, do you continue to tell your child that when they are older you can look at their options, or do you let your child be miserable and let their mental health suffer?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's unfortunately an all too common trend in such topics.

The most "progressive" elements seem entirely resistant to actual debate, questions, or counter-points on a topic and will instead resort to name-calling, baseless accusations, and then attempts/calls to have the discussion shut down entirely.

It only weakens their position IMO and it's ultimately self-defeating as others will harden their own stance against such tactics (and by extension whatever merits the argument itself may have) as a result.

If something is "right" then it should be able to withstand a healthy and reasonable discussion.

And that is actually true. Sometimes if I start out with a hardline stance (Yep, I'm human) on something I will read an opinion or anecdote posted somewhere like here and it can modify that hardline stance somewhat, or it will at least have me going out to do a bit of weeding while I think over the other person's opinion. It might not even be an immediate change will happen, somethings could take quite some time to percolate and modify my opinion, but if x,y or z-phobe is thrown at me I will often just bristle and hunker down.

Because I have, and it is a very difficult situation for both child and parent. Say for example you have a child who has been born with male genitalia and has been identified as a boy since birth. From toddler age they begin to display tendencies which are more commonly associated with those of a girl.

When the child starts to speak, they been to vocalize that they are a girl. They are not a boy. They do not want to be a boy and you are wrong.

Say you as a parent, ignore this/challenge this/try and convince your child otherwise. Imagine how detrimental that would be in the long term.

Say this child progresses to age 6/7 and continues to vocalize that they are a girl, not a boy. They do this at home, in school, everywhere. They are adamant. You continue to try a squash this/encourage your child to hide same.

This continues to age 8/9, your child still has not hit puberty but a big personality change has been noted. You child continues to vocalize that they are a girl, not a boy. Difference is after 5/6 years of telling your child that they are a boy and if they still feel like they are a girl when the are older, you can talk about it then, they are now showing signs of depression and everything that goes with it (i.e. self harm, suicidal ideation).

I have worked in CAMHS and seen kids of 8/9 with suicidal ideation. If it was due to the reasons above, do you continue to tell your child that when they are older you can look at their options, or do you let your child be miserable and let their mental health suffer?

I think it is an extraordinarily difficult area. I think an inclination to medicate such distress is not the best way to go. A society that was more accepting of gender variance and creative expression might go further to helping such a child. But not to the point of providing prosthetics or denying biology. There will be time for dealing with hormones and surgeries when the child is older, if only because they are too young to make such HUGE decisions as children. And yes, I knew one once. Quite well. He was allowed to express his feelings and he was a great kid. He unfortunately committed suicide very young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,244 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you posted this in LGB forum it'd be locked, post it in AH and its still expected to be locked by the same people....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pjohnson wrote: »
    If you posted this in LGB forum it'd be locked, post it in AH and its still expected to be locked by the same people....

It seems that the expected response nowadays on pretty much any social topic is to adopt the liberal progressive stance on it. Anything else (even questions) is to be against the whole idea and thus open to be attacked and belittled.

You can really see where the term "echo chamber" has evolved from as all such militants want to hear is people agreeing with them and validating their own position (social media is incredibly damaging in this sense in my opinion)

We should never be afraid of debate, questions or disagreements so long as they are expressed in a constructive and respectful manner. If we are to adopt positions that challenge the - up until now - fundamental concepts of society and person, it's not only vital that these are discussed openly, but also that people are given time to consider the argument and their own stance AND an acceptance that some may never adapt to the new norm, AND THAT IS OK TOO so long as they still find a way to at least respect other's choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Are you suggesting I’m transphobic ?

If not, what’s the relevance of this statement ?

I never said minorites shouldn’t be accommodated and treated equally.

No problem striving for it but it’s unrealistic to expect it in reality.

The tipping point for me would be when we start creating laws that force 99.5% of the population to change the way they speak, think or act just to keep .5% of the population happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've a friend with a female child who wanted to be a boy from the age of 5. I'm not sure that counts as transgender though as she is now 12 and has grown out of that phase and is very happy being a girl.
    Yes, you tell your child that they can look at the options when they get older. Yes, by all means let them live as their chosen sex, let them wear female/male clothes, do male/female things, but I wouldn't begin hormone treatment, surgery or anything medical like that until they were older. I also wouldn't give them 'stick on willies' as in the link in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Surely if the child has male genitalia then it's easy to explain to them how they are male and why that is the case?

Then it's just a case of allowing them to express themselves in whichever way they choose while keeping them grounded by explaining biology?

It always seemed to me that a huge part of these issues come down to the connotations or the baggage that comes with the terms "male" and "female" or "boy" and "girl".

So just because a person has male genitalia they don't necessarily need to conform to some rigid male behavior or expectation.

However, I fail to see how they would be able to escape the reality of having male biology.

Surely this doesn't only apply to gender related issues in kids?

It would seem logical to me that a child who has difficulty understanding certain aspects and grasping certain facts of reality in ANY circumstance at all would be a risk for depression, self harm, suicide etc? Even worse when attempts to explain reality to the child fail and they continue to experience dysphoria.

While I agree with you that it's not good to ignore or force the child and it's awful to just leave them to be miserable and to neglect their mental health, what are the legitimate, positive, solutions to this problem?

Is there any chance that it's also harmful to completely indulge them and go all in on gender reassignment etc?

Are you suggesting I’m transphobic ?

If not, what’s the relevance of this statement ?

The relevance is that you made a statement and I sais it reminded me of another statement I've heard a lot.

I never mentioned the word or implied you were transphobic in any way, shape or form.

Read what I said, you made a statement and I asked you a genuine question to try and understand your view point a bit more. Stop clutching at straws.

[/QUOTE]I never said minorites shouldn’t be accommodated and treated equally.

No problem striving for it but it’s unrealistic to expect it in reality.

The tipping point for me would be when we start creating laws that force 99.5% of the population to change the way they speak, think or act just to keep .5% of the population happy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you did. In that very statement.

In reply to Mazpfizer;
    Surely if the child has male genitalia then it's easy to explain to them how they are male and why that is the case?

You can explain why they were born with certain genitalia, that does not provide answers and support with regards to how they are feeling

Then it's just a case of allowing them to express themselves in whichever way they choose while keeping them grounded by explaining biology?

What if they don't accept that? What if they tell you they are disgusted by their bodies and it is not their own and they cannot live in it?

It always seemed to me that a huge part of these issues come down to the connotations or the baggage that comes with the terms "male" and "female" or "boy" and "girl".

So just because a person has male genitalia they don't necessarily need to conform to some rigid male behavior or expectation.

What you are saying here is that transgender kids should be happy with not conforming to societal norms, rather than being happy living their authentic lives

However, I fail to see how they would be able to escape the reality of having male biology.

Surely this doesn't only apply to gender related issues in kids?

It would seem logical to me that a child who has difficulty understanding certain aspects and grasping certain facts of reality in ANY circumstance at all would be a risk for depression, self harm, suicide etc? Even worse when attempts to explain reality to the child fail and they continue to experience dysphoria.

Dysphoria is not a mental illness. Also, you're statements and tone (i.e. the use of the word "reality" are I'd imagine very insulting to any transgender person. Is what they are experiencing and feeling not "reality" too?

While I agree with you that it's not good to ignore or force the child and it's awful to just leave them to be miserable and to neglect their mental health, what are the legitimate, positive, solutions to this problem?

Being open, speaking to your kids, educating your kids on all gender issues. Speaking with your GP. Counselling. Engaging with support groups like TENI, theres plenty of solutions.

Is there any chance that it's also harmful to completely indulge them and go all in on gender reassignment etc?

Impossible to gereralise, every situation would need looked at individually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Read what I said, you made a statement and I asked you a genuine question to try and understand your view point a bit more. Stop clutching at straws.

No. First off you made the following statement..

And I asked you what the relevance was.

Then I answered your question.

So please do share, what was the relevance ?
    Yes, you did. In that very statement.

No I didn’t.

I stated that we should strive for equality while accepting the unfortunate reality that true equality for all is neither possible nor realistic.

Now is there any part of that sentence that says I’m opposed to equality ?

No. First off you made the following statement..

And I asked you what the relevance was.

Then I answered your question.

So please do share, what was the relevance ?

No I didn’t.

I stated that we should strive for equality while accepting the unfortunate reality that true equality for all is neither possible nor realistic.

Now is there any part of that sentence that says I’m opposed to equality ?

I don't get what you're not getting here. Can I not say that one statement reminds me of another?

This is the first time you have said er should "strive for equality", what you said was "everyone should be accommodated and treated equally to a point...", which are two very different statements. But, I'm glad to hear you think we should strive for equality, and I'm glad to know the 0.5% might be included in that, seeing as your not transphobic.

Think I'm going to bow out of this thread now. Nothing more of relevance can be added and I don't feel like speanding my evening defending myself against someone who thinks I may have accused them of being transphobic when they themselves are the only one to use the term.

Think I'm going to bow out of this thread now. Nothing more of relevance can be added and I don't feel like speanding my evening defending myself against someone who thinks I may have accused them of being transphobic when they themselves are the only one to use the term.

You asked a loaded question... That's why there's an issue. The manner of your response, suggested however subtly, that he was phobic.

• Advertisement

I'd be curious to see how many of these recent cases of transgender kids were more down to the parents then one hundred percent the kids themselves.

Im sure there's plenty of parents who lead there children down paths based on there own beliefs and there need to be seen as progressive and modern.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement