Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conserving Water - Any Tips?

Options
  • 07-07-2018 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Now that the hose pipe ban is in operation throughout the country, are you finding ways to conserve your water usage? Please share.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

1. re outdoor pot plants - I'm finding when I water them by watering can, of course, the water runs down the pot and into the ground in seconds. Am putting dishes, saucers, under the most vulnerable pots, which help conserve the water. Will remove them,once the rainy season arrives!

2. in the sink - I have a basin in the sink and do not empty the water after washing dishes etc. I find I can get three or four uses out of the same water to wash other things such as cat dish, bird feeders etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you have a bath in an upstairs bathroom you could always siphon the water out into a water butt to top it up or even siphon it directly out onto your plants. Obviously let the neighbors know what you are doing so you don't get reported for have a hose attached to a tap in the bathroom.

And of course that oldie "Bath/Shower with a friend".

Edit> Washing machines and dishwashers pump out used water so you can connect the waste water pipe to a hose (3/4 inch fits perfectly) and pump that water into water butts.

my3cents wrote: »
    If you have a bath in an upstairs bathroom you could always siphon the water out into a water butt to top it up or even siphon it directly out onto your plants. Obviously let the neighbors know what you are doing so you don't get reported for have a hose attached to a tap in the bathroom.

Edit> Washing machines and dishwashers pump out used water so you can connect the waste water pipe to a hose (3/4 inch fits perfectly) and pump that water into water butts.

Sounds good, my3cents - for those who have the technical ability to set these arrangements up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

For saving water in the ground it becomes more important to clear off weeds and unwanted vegetation near your garden plants as these will also tap into the moisture in the ground to grow.

Loosen the soil with a hoe or mattock so there are no deep cracks allowing water evaporate from deeper in the soil. In a similar way a mulch on the surface of the soil will help conserve water in it.

Water in the evening or early morning so it has a chance to be absorbed before evaporating.

Only water plants that need it like ones recently planted out, ones in containers or ones known to be requiring good moisture levels (e.g. hydrangea). Some dry climate adapted varieties don't require additional water even in current weather conditions. Sedum, lavender and thyme for example can deal with drought as they are native to areas that regularly have dry weather.

Good amounts of organic material in the soil also allows it hold more moisture.

macraignil wrote: »
    For saving water in the ground it becomes more important to clear off weeds and unwanted vegetation near your garden plants as these will also tap into the moisture in the ground to grow.

Loosen the soil with a hoe or mattock so there are no deep cracks allowing water evaporate from deeper in the soil. In a similar way a mulch on the surface of the soil will help conserve water in it.

Water in the evening or early morning so it has a chance to be absorbed before evaporating.

Only water plants that need it like ones recently planted out, ones in containers or ones known to be requiring good moisture levels (e.g. hydrangea). Some dry climate adapted varieties don't require additional water even in current weather conditions. Sedum, lavender and thyme for example can deal with drought as they are native to areas that regularly have dry weather.

Good amounts of organic material in the soil also allows it hold more moisture.

Good information, macraignil. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Re salad plants, such as lettuce, radish etc. I prefer to water in the morning, as watering in the evening invites and fascilitates the snails/slugs to come out and eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

mulching is important as bare soil will dry out quicker, also, the granules found in baby's nappies are great if you dig them into the soil. they form a gel and retain a lot of moisture. any brand will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

my3cents wrote: »

Hardly going to put that water with all the detergents in to your plants?

I suppose it depends on the type of detergents. Some are less toxic than others, I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I take a watering can into the shower so that I can collect cold water. It's quite a large vessel and it's nearly full when the hot water appears! I intend to keep doing it after the drought too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

acai berry wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the type of detergents. Some are less toxic than others, I imagine.

My plants are mostly fruit and vegetables so that's a huge no from me.

I think we're all starting to realise just how wasteful we have been up to now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if memory serves, washing up liquids can have a lot of salt in them. something to bear in mind perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

strandroad wrote: »
    I take a watering can into the shower so that I can collect cold water. It's quite a large vessel and it's nearly full when the hot water appears! I intend to keep doing it after the drought too.
    christ on a bike, are we in this bad a state, i hope your joking

Edit: maybe there is some funny analogy meant here, but i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Shaunoc wrote: »

I thought that was a very good idea, though it did occur to me that it would clutter up the shower stall a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

looksee wrote: »
    I thought that was a very good idea, though it did occur to me that it would clutter up the shower stall a bit!

Not so much really and then you just set it aside, it's all happening before you start showering anyway. I was serious BTW. I didn't realise how much cold water goes down the drain before my hot water starts running! It's just a simple habit but it's many thousands of litres of treated water per year...

strandroad wrote: »
    Not so much really and then you just set it aside, it's all happening before you start showering anyway. I was serious BTW. I didn't realise how much cold water goes down the drain before my hot water starts running! It's just a simple habit but it's many thousands of litres of treated water per year...

Something i wouldn't have thought of. Good for you, strandroad, and best of luck keeping up your resolution for the future!

Anything learned, Guys?

At first I thought I had to water outdoor pot-plants every day. Now I wait until I see the first sign of wilting or droopiness. Seems I can get way with watering just every two or even three days.

I water salad crops in raised beds every day - in the morning, so that snails/slugs don't get a chance to come out. Lettuces doing exceptionally well, whereas before this regime, the slugs were really getting to them.

Am not watering or cutting my lawn, which has now bolted into seed. A very nice man, who is Manager in Powerscourt Gardens, suggested we should allow grass to die down, as it goes into hibernation during drought and will spring back into growth again, once the rain comes.

Herbs such as tarragon, fennel, parsley and wild rocket have all bolted into seed. I suppose all is not lost, as the seeds can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Shaunoc wrote: »

Just common sense, and not just now. Water is too precious to waste down the plughole..

if memory serves, washing up liquids can have a lot of salt in them. something to bear in mind perhaps.

Very good then for weedy paths.. ;)Or for washing down paths etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are perfect for plants. The RHS advises
    Plants can be watered with shower, bath, kitchen and washing machine water (from rinse cycles), collectively referred to as ‘grey’ water. It varies in quality and may contain contaminants such as soap and detergent. Fortunately, soil and potting composts are effective at filtering them out, and the residues can sometimes act as a mild fertiliser.

Just don't store it for more than 24 hours.

Good informatiion, Srameen. Thank you..

Using my washing machine - I collect up some laundry e.g. cotton whites. I steep them with some detergent overnight in a bucket of water. Next morning I empty the bucket of laundry with soaking liquid, which contains detergent into the machine. I do not add any detergent to the machine. This means I can choose a really short cycle such as 18 mins to 30 mins rather than 2 and a half hours.

Saves not only water but electricity as well!

I’m a pot of tea rather than a teabag in a mug, person. Every time I make a pot, I pour any old tea on my house plants.

I’m a pot of tea rather than a teabag in a mug, person. Every time I make a pot, I pour any old tea on my house plants.

Love that, Maryanne84!
    :D

I have an old enamel pot with a lid on it on my sink for collecting up veggie waste suitable for the compost heap. I generally tear open the used teabags and empty them into the pot with the veggie peelings etc. Somebody had told me the used tea is very beneficial, but the actual bags don't break down in the compost. If I have any tea drink left over, I empty it in there too. But i suppose I'm getting a bit off point here. :rolleyes:

Back to water conservation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

dip plants in pots in a bucket of water and leave for a few minutes. it helps with very dry soil as when you use a watering can the water runs straight through and it doesn't soak the soil enough. I add a bit of plantfood to the bucket

dip plants in pots in a bucket of water and leave for a few minutes. it helps with very dry soil as when you use a watering can the water runs straight through and it doesn't soak the soil enough. I add a bit of plantfood to the bucket

Excellent! Thank you, yellowlabrador! :D

This could apply especially to hanging baskets.

Using my washing machine - I collect up some laundry e.g. cotton whites. I steep them with some detergent overnight in a bucket of water. Next morning I empty the bucket of laundry with soaking liquid, which contains detergent into the machine. I do not add any detergent to the machine. This means I can choose a really short cycle such as 18 mins to 30 mins rather than 2 and a half hours.

Saves not only water but electricity as well!

Grand! I still do not have a working washing machine ( long story of broken promises to plumb mine in.:eek:.) so soak overnight in a huge bucket then use that water then rinse. Always use the water..

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

1. re outdoor pot plants - I'm finding when I water them by watering can, of course, the water runs down the pot and into the ground in seconds. Am putting dishes, saucers, under the most vulnerable pots, which help conserve the water. Will remove them,once the rainy season arrives!

2. in the sink - I have a basin in the sink and do not empty the water after washing dishes etc. I find I can get three or four uses out of the same water to wash other things such as cat dish, bird feeders etc.
    If you can get a plastic bag around the base of the pot,(or the whole pot), that will hold the water until it is soaked up by the compost in the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I think we're all starting to realise just how wasteful we have been up to now.
    We should be using water in a manner that we would be doing if we had to pay for it.

Advertisement