Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conserving Water - Any Tips?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If possible move water hungry potted plants or very peaty pots into a shady area eg along a north facing wall to limit the direct sun heating the pots during the most of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

If possible move water hungry potted plants or very peaty pots into a shady area eg along a north facing wall to limit the direct sun heating the pots during the most of the day.

Good suggestion, Glass fused light! TU. :D

We should be using water in a manner that we would be doing if we had to pay for it.

Exactly, Hocus Focus! Good practice for when we eventually do have to pay for it! ;):p

Went out this morning, fully intending to mow my lawn, which has run to seed. It's still quite green, as I had watered it before the hose ban. On 2nd thoughts I decided No! We are not due rain for some time, so instead of buyibg seed to reseed later I've decided to allow the lawn to reseed itself. The birds also, will feed off the grass seed, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

acai berry wrote: »
    Went out this morning, fully intending to mow my lawn, which has run to seed. It's still quite green, as I had watered it before the hose ban. On 2nd thoughts I decided No! We are not due rain for some time, so instead of buyibg seed to reseed later I've decided to allow the lawn to reseed itself. The birds also, will feed off the grass seed, no doubt.

You would be better to give it a very high cut to remove those tough flower/seed stems. With the mix in a typical lawn, you could end up with only the coarser grasses self seeing.

• Advertisement

You would be better to give it a very high cut to remove those tough flower/seed stems. With the mix in a typical lawn, you could end up with only the coarser grasses self seeing.

You could be right there, Brinley Enough Legume, as it is the tough stems that are going to seed. You've just given me permission to mow my lawn. ;) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You could be right there, Srameen, as it is the tough stems that are going to seed. You've just given me permission to mow my lawn. ;) :P

Use anything you box off as a mulch to conserve moisture and worry about any grass seeds in it when we have some rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Started emptying the paddling pool on the flowers every evening rather than putting it down the drain. Flowers are now blooming with water that would have otherwise been wasted.

Outdoor taps! This morning I went out front to water my pots and found the outdoor tap had been dripping all night. Luckily I had a large trug underneath which was full to the top with about 20 gals of water. I find with the outdoor taps that if I tighten them too tight, they actually leak. Surprising, considering they are new taps. Worth checking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Started emptying the paddling pool on the flowers every evening rather than putting it down the drain. Flowers are now blooming with water that would have otherwise been wasted.

Lol so it's not being wasted filling the paddling pool everyday?

• Advertisement

Lol so it's not being wasted filling the paddling pool everyday?

Far as I know, you're allowed fill your paddling pool as long as you don't use a hose-pipe to do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

true, but that does not mean the water is not being 'wasted'

true, but that does not mean the water is not being 'wasted'

Let's not argue, magicbastarder. Surely it's not a waste of water to allow the Granchildren to have their splash around in this weather. It's a matter of priories, I think, especially as the water is being recycled to water the borders..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

For the last couple of weeks we have kept a basin in the sink. This collects water when washing veg or hands and letting the tap run to get hot or cold water. I remove the basin to wash the dishes but put it back in for rinsing (don't have a dishwasher). The amount of water normally wasted this way :eek:

Now have a bigger bucket outside which I empty this basin into 2 or 3 times a day. This water keeps the plants happy.

Also have a large water butt and thinking of getting a second one as they fill up so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I would hope you'd continue to do this. Awful waste of water if it's just being poured down the drain.

Water conservation is starting to become a part of our consciiosness. That has to be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Water conservation is starting to become a part of our consciiosness. That has to be a good thing.

Unfortunately, apart from a few people here, I'm not seeing any change in attitude among the general public and many asking when the hosepipe ban will be lifted while not doing anything currently to actually conserve except obey the ban.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that anyone is keeping any records, but it'd be interesting to see how sales of water butts have changed over the last five years.
    we've two - one is basically dedicated to keeping the pond topped up. both are long since empty, and the pond has dropped quite a lot.

Unfortunately, apart from a few people here, I'm not seeing any change in attitude among the general public and many asking when the hosepipe ban will be lifted while not doing anything currently to actually conserve except obey the ban.
    Most changes for the better in consciouness, start from small beginnings. So let's keep going! :D

not that anyone is keeping any records, but it'd be interesting to see how sales of water butts have changed over the last five years.
    we've two - one is basically dedicated to keeping the pond topped up. both are long since empty, and the pond has dropped quite a lot.

I'd say the threat of water charges had a big effect on sales of water butts. I had one in my last house. Unfortunately, I had to leave it behind, due to the amount of stuff I had to move. Now I am faced with getting another one for where I'm living now.

• Advertisement

Irrigating your garden during the hose pipe ban...
    It's time to get clever and understand our plants and their requirements for water. Soil can look very dry but often has adequate moisture underneath, approximately 2-3 inches below the surface. To test poke your finger below the soil surface. If soil particles stick to your finger there is moisture present.

Very often in the mid-day sun you will observe plants wilting only to recover when temperatures fall in the evening. This is because the roots can't keep up with the water demands of the leaves as water is lost through transpiration. If plants perform in this way there is enough water in the soil and therefore no need to water.

Watering in the evening is more efficient as it reduces the amount of water lost through evaporation. However, if your plants are suffering, particularly shallow rooted plants, it is ok to water in the hot sun, contrary to popular belief.
    As always, happy gardening! And enjoy the sunshine.

Brian Berry
    General Manager
    Powerscourt Garden Pavilion

I get these Weekly Ezines from the Powerscourt Garden Pavilion. Usually very topical and practical advice from an expert! Worth signing up for, IMO.

Advertisement