Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes bought for cash in Galway.

Options
  • 07-07-2018 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

Is there any shop in Galway/Roscommon area that buys used bikes for cash?

I have a Kross Pulso 1 hybrid bike with barely 10 miles on it sitting in the shed and i'd like some of my money back out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Is there any shop in Galway/Roscommon area that buys used bikes for cash?

I have a Kross Pulso 1 hybrid bike with barely 10 miles on it sitting in the shed and i'd like some of my money back out of it.

Just put it up on done deal or adverts. Not that difficult to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Just put it up on done deal or adverts. Not that difficult to do

I've suffered enough selling on donedeal between time wasters, lowballers and swaps. I'd prefer to drive to a shop and walk out with some cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Few bike shops will offer cash for bikes, because as soon as they are known to be doing it, they will be offered bikes that don't belong to those offering them - not you, of course, but a shop can't start doing it, or it will happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

On Yer Bike on Prospect Hill might be your best bet..

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect the sort of more reputable places which would take in secondhand bikes without insisting on it being on a trade in would be the ones near universities, selling to students?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

PM sent

I've suffered enough selling on donedeal between time wasters, lowballers and swaps. I'd prefer to drive to a shop and walk out with some cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anything a shop that’s trying to make a few quid after prepping it will give is likely to be a lowball offer to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Why don't you drive to the shop where you bought it from and ask them to value it?

You are going to have to accept that it is now a second hand bike and worth considerably less than a brand new one out of the shop, regardless of how little mileage you have put up on it.

I bought a bike from a local shop two years ago that originally sold 12 months previously for 550 euro, there was a newer model released and the owner wanted that one. I don't know how much the bike shop made from me but I got the bike for 250 euro and it was like new.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A bike shiip probably buys a new bike for 400, cost of sale is probably 200, profit 200 and then tax brings it to just under 1,000

Don’t expect them to pay much for your second hand bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

define 'lowballer'.

many people can walk into a shop and buy a brand new bike for €600 which will actually cost them €300 on the cycle to work scheme.
    so to buy that €600 bike, secondhand, they probably wouldn't give it a second glance if you were asking €200. they'd be saving €100 against the cost of after sales support and warranty, let alone the happy glow of owning a shiny new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

define 'lowballer'.

many people can walk into a shop and buy a brand new bike for €600 which will actually cost them €300 on the cycle to work scheme.
    so to buy that €600 bike, secondhand, they probably wouldn't give it a second glance if you were asking €200. they'd be saving €100 against the cost of after sales support and warranty, let alone the happy glow of owning a shiny new bike.

Couldn't agree with you more.

However I will say that the glowing happiness is a lot more evident when you've gotten a shiny nearly new bike at a massive discount.

I'm not exactly sure, but a lowballer might be a fella that doesn't wear the fancy cycling shorts.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement