Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota GT86 or other?

• 07-07-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a Toyota GT86 (2013-15 model) at a budget of in and around 15k.

I don't do much driving at all so not too worried about fuel efficiency etc. (it will be largely a weekend car as I don't drive to work)

Also don't know anything about cars, so something that I can bring for an annual service and do as little as possible with in between would be idea.

Would you recommend anything else in that price range? (petrol, nice looking and fun to drive, with two back seats)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I'm looking at getting a Toyota GT86 (2013-15 model) at a budget of in and around 15k.

I don't do much driving at all so not too worried about fuel efficiency etc. (it will be largely a weekend car as I don't drive to work)

Also don't know anything about cars, so something that I can bring for an annual service and do as little as possible with in between would be idea.

Would you recommend anything else in that price range? (petrol, nice looking and fun to drive, with two back seats)

A Nissan 350Z if you can find one. A Renault Wind is another option. I know terrible name for a car but a nice car. Peugeot RCZ is another option. Beautiful looking cars. Honda CR-Z is another cool car.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Would you count the back of the GT as two seats? I had one for a week to drive a few years ago and don’t remember them being too roomy. Cracking little car to drive though. Take away the rear seats and you open up Cayman, Boxster, MX-5 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

MarkN wrote: »
    Would you count the back of the GT as two seats? I had one for a week to drive a few years ago and don’t remember them being too roomy. Cracking little car to drive though. Take away the rear seats and you open up Cayman, Boxster, MX-5 etc

They are rarely used (I don't have kids) but it will be the only car in the house so don't want to end up in a situation where we have visitors or something and can't go somewhere by car - but even if they were cramped they'd do the job. If I had room for a second car I'd get an S2000, 350z or one of the newer hard top MX5s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Audi ttr

Philb76 wrote: »
    Audi ttr

Definitely an option but it is a good bit more expensive than the Toyota, and more common where I live (doesn't help that I'm 10 mins walk from an Audi factory)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’re obviously not in Ireland then. That changes things.

colm_mcm wrote: »

I'm just looking for ideas on what is out there - no real difference in what is available across Europe I'd guess (although there would be differeneces in popularity, specs and other conditions). I know nothing about cars at all so just looking for models etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What do you drive at the moment, are you necessarily looking for something fast?

(For example, GT86 isn’t fast, relatively speaking)

What do you drive at the moment, are you necessarily looking for something fast?

(For example, GT86 isn’t fast, relatively speaking)

No - something fun but doesn't need to be exceptionally fast - I drive a 1.3 Toyota Yaris so anything will be a step up from that. I will do under 5k a year in it, I've done less than 8k in the last two years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Fiesta ST would be highly rated by The automotive journalists that drive everything , an ST would feel a lot faster than a GT 86.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Cud be in Ireland colm irish built audis ðŸ˜

Bigus wrote: »
    Fiesta ST would be highly rated by The automotive journalists that drive everything , an ST would feel a lot faster than a GT 86.

Thanks I'll check that out although I've always driven hatch backs so leaning towards something more coupe style at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Philb76 wrote: »
    Cud be in Ireland colm irish built audis ðŸ˜

Where's the Audi factory in Ireland? Apart from Magherafelt :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Where's the Audi factory in Ireland? Apart from Magherafelt :pac:
    I thought the tuning factory was in Magherafelt. Like AMG for mercedes.... they take 1.9TDI A4s and tune them to RS4 TDIs

Test drove a 2013 GT86 today - was walking back to my car with my mind made up to take it when I saw a 2010 Audi A5 3.2i S-Line for the same price. Tried that too and now I don't know what I want!

Advertisement