Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmite / Bovril - Love? Hate?

Options
  • 07-07-2018 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I hadn't tasted Marmite or Bovril in donkey's years. Suddenly I get an irresistable craving for - Bovril! I search it out in the Supermarket, same familiar jar remembered from years ago. I make a drink from it - delish!

Wonder what prompted that? Could it be loss of trace elements from all of my sweating in this drought? Far as I know Bovril is high in Vit B12. Must Google to see what else it has.

BTW - I'm not pregnant. LOL!

How about you? What is your relationship - or not - with Marmite or Bovril?

Marmite / Bovril - Love? Hate? 61 votes

Love Marmite
    0% 0 votes
    Hate Marmite
    24% 15 votes
    Love Bovril
    11% 7 votes
    Hate Bovril
    21% 13 votes
    Love both Marmite and Bovril
    9% 6 votes
    Hate both Marmite and Bovril
    16% 10 votes
    Don't know
    9% 6 votes
    Don't care
    6% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I like both, grew up mainly with Bovril, but changed over to Marmite in later years. BTW I think it's Marmite that's the one with the vitamin B12. It's made with the excess yeast that's left over from brewing beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Lurrve marmite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Alun wrote: »
    I like both, grew up mainly with Bovril, but changed over to Marmite in later years. BTW I think it's Marmite that's the one with the vitamin B12. It's made with the excess yeast that's left over from brewing beer.

Interesting, Alun! I'm not so familiar with Marmite. It's mostly Bovril I remember from my youth. Pardon my ignorance. I thought both were much of a muchness, being high in yeast. As I say, I must Google more info, as this intrigues me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Both are high in umami, the fifth taste. It’s also found in tomatoes, mushrooms, soy sauce, fish sauce and so on. Personally, I tend to love anything that has these kind of strong flavours

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Lurrve marmite!

I should have put up a poll. Probably too late now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

acai berry wrote: »
    Interesting, Alun! I'm not so familiar with Marmite. It's mostly Bovril I remember from my youth. Pardon my ignorance. I thought both were much of a muchness, being high in yeast. As I say, I must Google more info, as this intrigues me now.
    Bovril is a beef extract, except for a short period around the mad cow disease panic, when it changed to a vegetarian recipe for a while. Marmite is a yeast extract.

dudara wrote: »
    Both are high in umami, the fifth taste. It’s also found in tomatoes, mushrooms, soy sauce, fish sauce and so on. Personally, I tend to love anything that has these kind of strong flavours

I can go with that, dudara. I love all of these flavours too.

Thanks for the Wiki link. I hadn't thought of the umami element.

Bovril is a beef extract, except for a short period around the mad cow disease panic, when it changed to a vegetarian recipe for a while. Marmite is a yeast extract.

The change was very easy as Bovril sold in Singapore (for example) is always vegetarian. Tastes pretty much as delicious as normal Bovril too!

Chicken Bovril. Lovely stuff also.

Thanks for that, Alun. Somewhere in the back of my head I did associate Bovril with beef. Remember the old advert with the kids? LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As a kid preferred a cup of oxtail soup to Bovril.
    Currently, Bovril is in the cupboard to go into beef stews and casseroles.

Marmite's never really come onto the radar.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    The change was very easy as Bovril sold in Singapore (for example) is always vegetarian. Tastes pretty much as delicious as normal Bovril too!

Chicken Bovril. Lovely stuff also.

This gets more and more interesting. Who would have thought it?

LOL! I just found the tool for putting up a poll. A bit late in the day, but however! It's multiple choice. Vote for as many or as few as you like. Voting is private, but you are free to talk about how you voted in a post, if you wish. The first votes up ATM are mine. I love both Marmite and Bovril.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Yuck x 2

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Love them both. My ex husband preferred bovril, not for drinks, but for spreading as you would with marmite. He would spread bovril on bread before dunking it in egg for French toast. I think it has a slightly softer flavour that works well for that, but marmite on fresh bread is the winner for me.

honeybear wrote: »
    Yuck x 2
    LOL! Very succinctly put, honeybear. I can understand where you're coming from with a user name like yours. Sweet v. Savoury! Wink!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I think Bovril is made from beef bones, I don't care what it's made from really because there are times when it is the only thing in the world that makes me feel human again.

Hangover in winter cure = mug of Bovril plus cheese sandwich preferably on the couch watching some random rubbish TV while wondering what am I doing with my life.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

twignme wrote: »
    Love them both. My ex husband preferred bovril, not for drinks, but for spreading as you would with marmite. He would spread bovril on bread before dunking it in egg for French toast. I think it has a slightly softer flavour that works well for that, but marmite on fresh bread is the winner for me.

This is turning out to be one of the more educational threads I've seen in ages! You've given me some ideas, twignme!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I think Bovril is made from beef bones, I don't care what it's made from really because there are times when it is the only thing in the world that makes me feel human again.

Hangover in winter cure = mug of Bovril plus cheese sandwich preferably on the couch watching some random rubbish TV while wondering what am I doing with my life.

Beef bones! I’m a vegetarian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I would love to know, what is the taste of marmite like, and how do people use it, must try it out

It's looking like Marmite / Bovril are somewhat miracle foods. Thanks, Rows Grower.

• Advertisement

If it was made from vegetarians bones I'd still buy it.

It is the original cup a soup, the crack cocaine of hot cups.

Your life is not complete until you try a mug of Bovril with a cheese sandwich, but you must be hungover.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Someone said earlier there's a veggie version. I'm sure what's in the healthfood section of your supermarket is vegetarian. No problem, as you're not a fan anyway, honeybear.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Bovril on batch bread mmmmmmm or bovril on toast!! Yum!!
    Can’t touch it at the moment, pregnant and every time I eat it , it kills me with heartburn.
    Don’t drink bovril too often much prefer it on bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭adgib

When I was a kid my aunt used to give me batch loaf with kerrygold butter smothered with bovril, heaven

adgib wrote: »
    When I was a kid my aunt used to give me batch loaf with kerrygold butter smothered with bovril, heaven

Just how I love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭adgib

Unfortunately can't have it anymore, heartburn

Bovril on batch bread mmmmmmm or bovril on toast!! Yum!!
    Can’t touch it at the moment, pregnant and every time I eat it , it kills me with heartburn.
    Don’t drink bovril too often much prefer it on bread.

Dip a cheese sandwich into a strong mug of it after the child is born and you'll be jogging home from the maternity ward within hours.

You guys are making me feel hungry. I'm wondering can one become addicted. [Joke!]

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I love both, but i haven't had either of them in years. I've managed to come close by drinking a stock cube in a mug of hot water though. It's not the same, but it is cheap.

• Advertisement

I love both, but i haven't had either of them in years. I've managed to come close my drinking a stock cube in a mug of hot water though. It's not the same, but it is cheap.

I also do this . lol.

Advertisement