Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmite / Bovril - Love? Hate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Vegemite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A mug of Bovril with buttered Jacobs cream crackers :)

I tried Marmite once but didn't like it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Guys! You're giving me ideas for when I can't sleep and get up out of bed for a warm drink and a snack.

Re the Poll, so far:

We have 9 voters at this stage and Marmite and Bovril are dead even in the Love stakes. 44.44% each.

The Hates are dead even with just 22.22% each exactly half of the Loves.

Nobody chose Neutral, the last two choices. Interesting! Thanks for voting, Guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bovril is delish.

Vegemite > Marmite.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A mug of Bovril with buttered Jacobs cream crackers :)
    I tried Marmite once but didn't like it at all.
    Bovril is certainly the better one for making a hot drink, Marmite doesn't work for that at all, but Marmite wins hands down for spreading on toast in my book.

• Advertisement

twignme wrote: »
    Love them both. My ex husband preferred bovril, not for drinks, but for spreading as you would with marmite. He would spread bovril on bread before dunking it in egg for French toast. I think it has a slightly softer flavour that works well for that, but marmite on fresh bread is the winner for me.
    Marmite toast soldiers for dunking in a boiled egg, or a thin smear on your toast under a fried or poached egg works wonders.

Your life is not complete until you try a mug of Bovril with a cheese sandwich, but you must be hungover.
    Bovril/Marmite go well with cheese ... smear a little on your bread when making a cheese sandwich, divine!

How about this .... :D

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-marmite

Umami overload with both Marmite and Parmesan cheese!!

Does anyone remember Marmite XO? An "extra mature" version matured for 28 days instead of the usual 7 that was available for a short time. Definitely one for hardcore Marmite fans!

Alun wrote: »
    How about this .... :D

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-marmite

Umami overload with both Marmite and Parmesan cheese!!
    Definitely Umami overload! thanks for that, Alun. :D

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember Marmite XO? An "extra mature" version matured for 28 days instead of the usual 7 that was available for a short time. Definitely one for hardcore Marmite fans!

Can't say I remember this, Alun. Thanks for the reminder. :D

acai berry wrote: »
    Can't say I remember this, Alun. Thanks for the reminder. :D
    You can buy a jar on eBay for a measly £60 (+ £4.75 p/p!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Limited-Edition-Marmite-XO-Extra-Old-Collectable-Jar-Red-Label-Rare-250g-Sealed/372362215743?hash=item56b284813f:g:eb0AAOSw9VZXPJao

Thanks for that, Alun. I may ha e more pressing ways to spend my 60 pounds. the har looks very nice, I must admit. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Yep, it wasn't easily found here, but was in Sainsburys in Derry and I picked up a few. (long gone)

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Yep, it wasn't easily found here, but was in Sainsburys in Derry and I picked up a few. (long gone)

Was it worth the expense?

You've really got me going on Bovril, Guys. Have just had a mornng snack of heel of sourdough loaf smeared with butter, hummus and finally Bovril. Very satisfying snack!

Just noticing Bovril and Marmite are neck and neck in the poll ATM. 33.33% each. Leading the vote!

If you're into unusual sandwiches, try marmite and peanut butter, or my favourite, Bovril and crisps :)

Must say, I've never been into peanut butter, but willing to give it a try. Also, not into crisps, come to think of it..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I don't like it, but I keep a jar of marmite (a particular houseguest is always surprised when she asks for marmite and receives it).
    A spoon of marmite in gravy is a big help (espeically as i often make veggie gravy)

Thanks, Tree. I often make kinda veggie soup with just what I can find in the fridge or garden. But I do use a stock cube, mostly beef. LOL! Will try Bovril or Marmite next time.

• Advertisement

If you're into unusual sandwiches, try marmite and peanut butter, or my favourite, Bovril and crisps :)

Is that unusual? 😁

Here's a very nutritious and delicious snack.

Ryvita, smeared with Marmite filling the dimples and then crunchy peanut butter over that.

Add half slice of easi singles for a luxury version 😁

Was it worth the expense?

Was passing through on way to Moville 😁

Was passing through on way to Moville 😁

You say you picked up a few. Was it worth the expense? ;)

You say you picked up a few. Was it worth the expense? ;)

It was a few years ago and they were on clearance - so yes, well worth it.

A little stronger but not a huge difference.

Is that unusual? 😁

Here's a very nutritious and delicious snack.

Ryvita, smeared with Marmite filling the dimples and then crunchy peanut butter over that.

Add half slice of easi singles for a luxury version 😁

CeilingFly! That's verging on haute cuisine or a gourmet snack! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Some hate Marmite as they think you spread it like jam etc. thickly ..

Graces7 wrote: »
    Some hate Marmite as they think you spread it like jam etc. thickly ..
    Good point, Graces7! A little goes a long way.

CeilingFly! That's verging on haute cuisine or a gourmet snack! ;):D

Have you tried it yet?

Or are you waiting to have it as speical Sunday Dinner :D

Aldi's wholenut peanut butter is best :)

Have you tried it yet?

Or are you waiting to have it as speical Sunday Dinner :D

Aldi's wholenut peanut butter is best :)

LOL! Haven't tried it yet, CeilingFly! Have not gone out yet to the supermarket to shop for Sunday Dinner ingredients!
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement