Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To net or not to net Strawberries

Options
  • 07-07-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

I have the choice between rationing my existing nets to the advantage of the raspberry crop or the strawberries.

As a result of mulching my strawberry bed with compost I have leaves on them to rival the potatoes and wonder now is there any point in netting them as the fruits are pretty well hidden .

Will the birds leave them more or less alone if the foliage is thick enough?

(The raspberries ,otoh are on full display and have permanent avian residents for the time being and I would like to net the nicer ones....)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The birds will find the strawberries. Buy more netting or just decide which fruit you want most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

The birds will find the strawberries. Buy more betting or just decide which fruit you want most.

Okay thanks (they are smarter than me then since I have to hunt around a lot :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

Dealz have netting for €1.50

Thud wrote: »
    Dealz have netting for €1.50

Can't see it there.

That the section?

http://www.dealz.ie/gardening/pest-and-weed-control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I hope you don't have grey squirrels nearby they love strawberries and they like them green so will take them even before you get a chance.

• Advertisement

No ,we don't .

I think the little mice or shrews take the currants though (and make a neat pile of pips/skins as evidence)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Net!

The only reason mine are unscathed is that the cats love to sleep near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

amandstu wrote: »
    Can't see it there.

That the section?

http://www.dealz.ie/gardening/pest-and-weed-control

its the same range as the slug tape and weed control fabric, i don't think they put everything on their website.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I bought my netting in Tesco.

Thud wrote: »
    its the same range as the slug tape and weed control fabric, i don't think they put everything on their website.

OK ,thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I have just discovered that the strawberries in my polytunnel are being destroyed by ants

I have just discovered that the strawberries in my polytunnel are being destroyed by ants

I have heard that ants just take over once slugs have already damaged the fruit. They don't make a first move and the slug is your main enemy..

Advertisement