Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of Dublin

Options
  • 07-07-2018 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

We are pretty much decided on moving out of Dublin to give the kids a better life and try and let my wife give up work at least until they are in secondary.
    We are both born and raised in D14/16 area. We were unfortunate to be buying during the boom and as a result were priced out to Lucan. We had visions of staying 5 years or so, selling at a large profit and moving back around where we grew up!!!! Obviously that never happened nor is it ever likely to, but to be honest we don't really want to anymore. With all the gangland stuff and drugs and feral kids doing what they like we just want out of Dublin altogether.
    So, has anyone done this? Are you happy? Do you regret it? What areas do you recommend? We would want to stay within an hrs drive to Dublin for family etc. We have looked around Gorey, Carnew, Court town, East Carlow etc. but we don't know the areas and what to expect. Budget wise we are hoping to keep it under 200k so that my wife doesn't have to work otherwise there's no real point in moving.
    I saw a nice property in the Riverchapel estate but heard from a friend that lives in the general area that its where all the Dubs moved to and we don't want that.

Any advise or stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

We done this as wanted my wife to raise our kids so moved to Westmeath. I still work in Dublin but work shift. We moved to a house on its own with good bit of land and love it but like you said are still within an hour to friends/family. Everyone is different and people thought we were mad moving out here but each to their own. Best of luck either way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I live in the specified area and it has its ups and downs.
    Upsides are plentiful:
    People are very friendly
    Property very affordable but stay clear of Riverchapel and Courtown, they definitely have their problems.
    School places guaranteed.
    Stunning scenery and a lot to discover. Good amenities in the bigger towns if you don't mind the drive.

Downsides are obvious, the commute to Dublin is long and draining and can't be done long-term. Good jobs are sparse, if you don't mind working in a factory there's always work for minimum wage. Eir has a monopoly on crappy broadband.
    Seriously, if you think of commuting up to Dublin look somewhere else. My partner does is once or twice a week and it is a total headwreck.

I'd look inland from Gorey a bit, 200k can bring you quite far and there's certainly property on the market that is there for a long time and can be probably snapped up under the asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You would get a good house and Athlone for €200,000. Mainline rail and motorway to Dublin. Plenty of primary schools, secondary schools and third level college. Children should be able to walk or cycle to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

You would get a good house and Athlone for €200,000. Mainline rail and motorway to Dublin. Plenty of primary schools, secondary schools and third level college. Children should be able to walk or cycle to school.

I lived in athlone for college many years ago. Would certainly not want to live in the area I lived in. Not sure what parts of it would be considered good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you try to stick to under 200k the commute is going to be massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Why would you choose to buy in an area that you know nothing about? At the very least rent beforehand.

Why would you choose to buy in an area that you know nothing about? At the very least rent beforehand.

Where did I say we would buy a home before getting to know an area? I'm just looking for other peoples opinions on areas to chack out and their own personal experience

mariaalice wrote:
    If you try to stick to under 200k the community is going to be massive.

We've seen plenty of properties on their own land for under 200k

khaldrogo wrote: »
    We've seen plenty of properties on their own land for under 200k

I meant commute!

mariaalice wrote:
    I meant commute!

Well I don't mine up to an hour. I was doing an hr commute in Dublin at one point, also the idea would be to find a job closer at some point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Gorey etc is very extreme. Places like Navan are 12 minutes to Blanchardstown now with the motor way.

utmbuilder wrote:
    Gorey etc is very extreme. Places like Navan are 12 minutes to Blanchardstown now with the motor way.

They are also mini Dublin's. I know at least 20 dubs that moved out to Meath, trim, navan etc. Its not for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

They are also mini Dublin's. I know at least 20 dubs that moved out to Meath, trim, navan etc. Its not for us.

mini Dublin's, i dont get you? you dont like Dublin people?

Is this a new fad or is there a whole bunch of people out there who dont like Dublin people? lol :)

So funny. Wexford is invaded with Dub's with caravans 3 months of the year.

My suggestion would be around the village of Kilanerin, North of Gorey.
    Lovely village, about 40 mins from the M50.
    Great scenery and for a village lots of amenities.
    Only drawback, is can be quite expensive. 200k will get you something like this in the village.
    If you go a bit more rural this can be got for 225k.

utmbuilder wrote:
    mini Dublin's, i dont get you? you dont like Dublin people?

It depends on the people. Certain types of dubs would not be for me and I'm not moving to an area populated by them.

utmbuilder wrote:
    So funny. Wexford is invaded with Dub's with caravans 3 months of the year.

It is but we would generally try to avoid buying in areas like these

An hours commute from Gorey is extremely optimistic. The commute is the big flaw in your plan if it wasn't a lot more people would be doing it

The second issue that the money does not translate back to Dublin so if you do not like it or your wife does not like it it's very hard to get back to the Dublin property market.

What about when your children go to college.

Think of it from the point of view of family life, your wife will be in a new area and not working outside the family home, a husband gone 12 hours a day and exhausted from the commute, family, and friends over an hour away so no popping over for a quick coffee.

This is from a route planner: 1 h 21 min (105.1 km) via M11 is the distance from Gorey to Dublin and that would be on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

No way you're doing Gorey-Dublin in under an hour. You do that on a quiet day of the weekend. If you've never witnessed the traffic during the week it's more like 1,5 hours each way depending from where. Believe me, I live down there and I drive that stretch a lot. Traffic during the week between Newtown Mountkennedy and Bray is absolutely awful every day without exception. Bray is a bottleneck in and out of Dublin, especially out can be the most soulcrushing thing in peaktimes, on many days traffic is somewhat heavy down to Wicklow town. There is ofc the option of commuting by public transport but you're pretty much the same as by car.
    If you buy down there and commute 5 days a week you'll get fed up really fast.

Also Gorey is a mini-Dublin, it's full of Dubs and Dub attitude, Riverchapel and Courtown are holiday destinations of Dubs, packed to the rim in the summer and empty in Winter.
    If you want to spare that, look in Southwest Wicklow or in the Tullow area. Which of course isn't as handy on commuter routes as Gorey.

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is a bizarre thread. The OP wants to live within an hour of Dublin, but this place must not have too many Dubs living there.

Wants a house for 200k, cheap by any standards in the greater Dublin region, but cannot have certain type of people living around it.

Good luck in your search, it’ll take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

awec wrote: »
    This is a bizarre thread. The OP wants to live within an hour of Dublin, but this place must not have too many Dubs living there.

Wants a house for 200k, cheap by any standards in the greater Dublin region, but cannot have certain type of people living around it.

Good luck in your search, it’ll take a while.
    I have to agree. Your post doesn't make much sense. If you really want to leave Dublin + want a more rural life then you won't get that within a hours commute. Most people living in what's classed as wider Dublin hinterland do so because they can't afford to buy in Dublin so settle for as near as they can. Of course they end up then like mini Dublin.

I also hate to break it to you but drugs are everywhere in Ireland + not just in Dublin.

mariaalice wrote:
    An hours commute from Gorey is extremely optimistic. The commute is the big flaw in your plan if it wasn't a lot more people would be doing it

A workmate travels from Riverchapel daily. An hr most days. No schools 50mins.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote:
    This is from a route planner: 1 h 21 min (105.1 km) via M11 is the distance from Gorey to Dublin and that would be on a good day.

The time will be different depending on where in Dublin you are going!!!! Cherrywood would be quicker than malahide. I've mapped my commute using the option on MyHome of travel times during peak hours. And kept my search within the hour time frame.

mariaalice wrote:
    The second issue that the money does not translate back to Dublin so if you do not like it or your wife does not like it it's very hard to get back to the Dublin property market.

The places we would want to live in Dublin we would not be able to buy in without major financial strain. We want out of Dublin and the Dublin way of life. Can't see us coming back tbh. Before we went anywhere we would research the area and go down a few times over night etc. This won't be done on a whim

mariaalice wrote:
    What about when your children go to college.

What do the other 2million people do outside of Dublin?

mariaalice wrote:
    Think of it from the point of view of family life, your wife will be in a new area and not working outside the family home, a husband gone 12 hours a day and exhausted from the commute, family, and friends over an hour away so no popping over for a quick coffee.

Her only sister lives in another country. Her best friend is an hr away. Her parents are 40 mins away. It would take her 20 longer to see her parents if we moved. Nobody has ever popped over to us for a quick coffee. I leave the house now at about 7.30 and am home between 6.30 and 7.00 as it is. My 7km commute in the evening can take 40 mins sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

OP thinks he's better than other dubs but has no problem working with us :rolleyes:

OP, I work with a lad who commutes from Gorey every day, he works from home 7 till 9 and then hops in the car and is here for 10.30, 11 sometimes. He's the far side of Gorey but regardless you're not going to do it in an hour. I also don't know where you work in Dublin but factor in that you'll still be dealing with Dublin traffic when you get to a certain point. I've driven in from Naas, Trim, Monaghan and a few other places many times in the past and those commuter roads are a nightmare in the mornings no matter where you'r coming from.

Side note, I've just bought in the D14/16 area and I'm certainly not expecting gangland problems or Feral kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

If you do a normal 9-5 you wont be getting from Dublin to Gorey in an hour..... m50 is a car park from before bray til after greystones between 4.30 and 6.30 every day....
    I would definately try renting before making any big decisions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

What do the other 2million people do outside of Dublin?

Well, at the moment, pay about €600 per month, per child, if their kids are studying in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Her only sister lives in another country. Her best friend is an hr away. Her parents are 40 mins away. It would take her 20 longer to see her parents if we moved. Nobody has ever popped over to us for a quick coffee. I leave the house now at about 7.30 and am home between 6.30 and 7.00 as it is. My 7km commute in the evening can take 40 mins sometimes.

I had this discussion with a colleague when I moved out to Gorey (or just beyond), he was telling me I was mad to move out that far cause the commute (to South Dublin) would kill me.

Conversation went as follows :
    Where do you live?
    Lucan
    And how far is that from work?
    Hmmm about 25/30 km?
    And how long does it take you?
    Hmmm....about an hour, depending on the M50?

:confused:

Would have to agree with other people on a few things though.

South Dublin (Cherrywood area) in 50 minutes (depending on time of day and where around Gorey) isn't unreasonable at all. But that same area to city center can easily add another 50 minutes.

Would second courtown and riverchapel, doesn't sound like they'd be places you'd enjoy. Aside from that you'll probably find that the closer to the coast you get the more expensive property will be.

We're about 10 miles outside Gorey and I think it's quite a nice little town, has everything you could want with regards shopping etc. several schools

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

OP my family moved last August from Dublin to a rural village in Carlow.
    We bought our detached house with an acre of land for cash well under 200k.
    My husband works shift in Ballymount, it takes him exactly an hour to get to & from work, he doesn't love it but he's happy with the payoff of living where we live.
    There are definitely pro & cons but we love it here & wouldn't go back to Dublin if someone gave us a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

My advice would be to get a job first in the rural area. Then move. Then you have very little commute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement