Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

we're currently looking at moving to the country side too..
    the commute to our jobs is 40 ish mins..
    do people class this long?
    generally people take this long to get from each side of the city in dub!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

You'll get documents in every village in the country. My parents live in a small village and there is a small group of little toe tags causing all sorts of trouble.
    I would say they are as bad as your D16/14 version.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

shakencat wrote: »
    we're currently looking at moving to the country side too..
    the commute to our jobs is 40 ish mins..
    do people class this long?
    generally people take this long to get from each side of the city in dub!!

Yes but a 5km commute in a car in traffic that takes 40mins is not the same as a 60km 40min drive commute. One is far more taxing on your energy, mental health and car etc etc

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Well, at the moment, pay about €600 per month, per child, if their kids are studying in Dublin.

Why would they opt to go to Uni in Dublin if they don’t live there?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Yes but a 5km commute in a car in traffic that takes 40mins is not the same as a 60km 40min drive commute. One is far more taxing on your energy, mental health and car etc etc

While I would agree with you in the bolded bit probably not for the same reasons.

I'd take a 60km drive that takes 40 minutes over a 5km drive that takes 40 minutes any day of the week.

And, certainly from my point of view, the shorter (in distance but equal in time) would be more taxing in energy and mental health for sure.

And probably no better for most cars either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

wexie wrote:
    I'd take a 60km drive that takes 40 minutes over a 5km drive that takes 40 minutes any day of the week.

I will always and have always done this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

awec wrote: »
    This is a bizarre thread. The OP wants to live within an hour of Dublin, but this place must not have too many Dubs living there.

Wants a house for 200k, cheap by any standards in the greater Dublin region, but cannot have certain type of people living around it.

Good luck in your search, it’ll take a while.

Be nice to OP, they're obviously still recovering from the trauma of being 'priced out to Lucan'.

Be nice to OP, they're obviously still recovering from the trauma of being 'priced out to Lucan'.

What's your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

wexie wrote: »
    While I would agree with you in the bolded bit probably not for the same reasons.

And, certainly from my point of view, the shorter (in distance but equal in time) would be more taxing in energy and mental health for sure.

And probably no better for most cars either.

Fair enough. I would feel the other way. Sitting drinking a coffee and listening to the radio instead of full concentration at speed on a motorway and all that goes with that every day wouldn’t appeal to me.
    Far less fatiguing on the shorter km trip and if you know you are going to be in traffic you just accept it as part of the journey.
    To each their own

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone commuting 5k in 40 minutes in a car in a city is an idiot when you could walk it in 40 minutes. There's other options too, E-scooter, bike or public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

I knew a little Nigerian fella worked in dell, and done the commute everyday it's possible.
    As long as your prepare for 15 hours a week, 60 hours a month in the car it can work.

Only downside is the travel. Shops tend to close down the country at 5/6 too Maybe a late night o Thursday, but other things can keep you busy

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Shops tend to close down the country at 5/6 too Maybe a late night o Thursday, but other things can keep you busy

No they don't?!

Not sure of the exact times but there are 5 supermarkets in Gorey and all of them are open well past 6, even the little shop 'down the village' is open till 9 most evenings I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

splinter65 wrote: »
    Why would they opt to go to Uni in Dublin if they don’t live there?!?

While there are plenty of other colleges and ITs around the south-east, there are lots of courses that would only be offered by DIT or one of the universities.

Sure, maybe the OPs' kids won't pick one of these courses, and maybe the Dublin rental market will have gone back to normality by the time their kids are going to third level, but if the OP has two or more kids who will be thinking of going to college within a couple of years of one another, it is something to take into consideration.

John_Rambo wrote:
    Anyone commuting 5k in 40 minutes in a car in a city is an idiot when you could walk it in 40 minutes. There's other options too, E-scooter, bike or public transport.

Some people need to drop/collect kids. Some people need their vehicle during the working day. Some people are unable to walk that far.

El Tarangu wrote:
    Sure, maybe the OPs' kids won't pick one of these courses, and maybe the Dublin rental market will have gone back to normality by the time their kids are going to third level, but if the OP has two or more kids who will be thinking of going to college within a couple of years of one another, it is something to take into consideration.

They have grandparents and aunts they can stay with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

God knows - and I know this might sound absolutely mental to a lot of the posters on this thread - but maybe the kids might even opt for one of the 13 third level institutes outside of Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

OP, so is renting for a while out of the question?..... its a big move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I presume you mean whitechurch (not as bad as it used to be and the closest big estate to my new gaff), Tara Hill (fine now), Nutgrove (fine now) and parts of knocklyon (again, not bad these days). Maybe it's perspective but I've lived in Finglas for 3 years now, the bad areas of D14/16 are NOT equivalent to other areas. When I was a kid the worst run in I had with other kids all happened in rural Galway.

God knows - and I know this might sound absolutely mental to a lot of the posters on this thread - but maybe the kids might even opt for one of the 13 third level institutes outside of Dublin!

I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise, just pointing out that living somewhere like Gorey (for example) means the kids either have a pretty big college commute or they'll be living near campus, with the extra expense that that brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Tha is not the point though, I agree that there is an irrational Dublin focus in some people, If you asked parents with children when was the last time they availed of the bars clubs restaurants and vibrant nightlife of Dublin, you will usually get a....yeah well there their if I want them...

Another very important point if they are not the sort to be involved and mixing in the community already, be it sports for the children or whatever then it's not suddenly going to happen if they move to the countryside they could end up more isolated than ever, women do tend to make friends at the school gate and through clubs their children are involved in, get together organising lifts and so on but it takes effort.

The thing is to move somewhere within striking distance of a third level college usually a more diverse population and better employment prospects, a town or village with a secondary school, do not go anywhere too isolated a mile or two outside the town or village means the children can walk or cycle to see their friends.

• Advertisement

jobless wrote:
    OP, so is renting for a while out of the question?..... its a big move

Not at all. May be something we do

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Not at all. May be something we do

100% I would do that khaldrogo, do it for the worst part of the year, see how you feel, then decide.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. You might also find you might say "OK Gorey (say) is too far, but Rathdrum/etc is better".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Some people need to drop/collect kids. Some people need their vehicle during the working day. Some people are unable to walk that far.

If you’re driving at walking pace you’re better off walking. Particularly if you have kids.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    If you’re driving at walking pace you’re better off walking. Particularly if you have kids.

Not if it's lamming rain.

(wrt to the kids I mean, I happily cycle to work in bad weather all the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

mariaalice wrote: »
    The thing is to move somewhere within striking distance of a third level college usually a more diverse population and better employment prospects, a town or village with a secondary school, do not go anywhere too isolated a mile or two outside the town or village means the children can walk or cycle to see their friends.

The OP hasn't ruled out living in an area that is near a third level institute. Within striking distance of the Dublin commuter belt, you have ITs in Dundalk, Waterford, Athlone and NUI Maynooth. Moving away from Dublin does not mean moving away from education.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

100% I would do that khaldrogo, do it for the worst part of the year, see how you feel, then decide.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. You might also find you might say "OK Gorey (say) is too far, but Rathdrum/etc is better".

Rathdrum for example puts you in a far higher price category though.

I know it's not everyone's taste but Arklow is quite affordable too. Of course it has it's reason, it's a bit more run down than Gorey but hey, the amenities and connection to the motorway isn't too bad.

200k for Gorey is a bit of a tighter budget at the moment too. Riverchapel and Courtown are cheap for a reason. Other parts inland are cheap for a reason (mostly because a lot of these villages are pretty remote and you'd just not have the luxury towns would have). The people there live a simpler and less vibrant life, there's a good batch of unemployment and if you begrudge people in council housing, don't move there because there are many people there in genuine need of it. The OP will definitely find something nice though if he keeps looking, hell even we did it with a tiny budget. I really have no idea what the OP is after either.
    Does he want to live in an estate, does he care about how far away you are from amenities, does he want a detached house with land or live in a village? All that are factors on how easy the househunt is going to be. The greater area definitely doesn't lack property but having some insight isn't bad because plenty of houses sit on the market forever empty and overpriced.

OP, this house came to my mind too, I pass it every day, it's an 8 minutes drive from Gorey just before Hollyfort. Put some money into getting it up to scratch, it's certainly a nice place where it is.

http://www.daft.ie/wexford/bungalows-for-sale/gorey/annagh-more-gorey-wexford-1553261/

LirW wrote: »
    I know it's not everyone's taste but Arklow is quite affordable too. Of course it has it's reason, it's a bit more run down than Gorey but hey, the amenities and connection to the motorway isn't too bad.

whats-that-shadowy-place-thats-arklow-son-u-must-never-go-there-.jpg

Arklow has a terrible reputation, some of it even deserved

But the lady makes a good point, I certainly wouldn't discount it as an option. Maybe need to do some more research as to what areas are to be avoided but I'm sure there's plenty perfectly okay areas.

And would shave a good 15/20 minutes off any commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

wexie wrote: »
    whats-that-shadowy-place-thats-arklow-son-u-must-never-go-there-.jpg

Arklow has a terrible reputation, some of it even deserved

But the lady makes a good point, I certainly wouldn't discount it as an option. Maybe need to do some more research as to what areas are to be avoided but I'm sure there's plenty perfectly okay areas.

And would shave a good 15/20 minutes off any commute.

Now I totally get why, Arklow has a few knacker havens, it's definitely not speckled with the elite of the country but it has an awful lot of potential, it has a really good selection of shops, a big shopping center and there are a good few nice estates too plus the part after Arklow in the north of Wexford isn't too bad either.
    Big downside is the awful traffic layout of it if you have to go through town, but its bad reputation makes the prices cheaper and it's not as awful as People make it out to be if you live in the right corner.
    But again, OP didn't state what exactly he's after. If he's after a rural retreat, he has to go inland, if he wants town, he might have to up the budget to find something good because Gorey got expensive and he's still surrounded by Dubs.

LirW wrote:
    OP, this house came to my mind too, I pass it every day, it's an 8 minutes drive from Gorey just before Hollyfort. Put some money into getting it up to scratch, it's certainly a nice place where it is.

Thanks. We wouldn't be in a position to spend the time or money to do a house up like that.

A new bathroom one yr, a new kitchen few years later etc is OK though

• Advertisement

Arklow is lovely, said nobody in history.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement