Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

Arklow is lovely, said nobody in history.....
    Ahem
    Van the man . . . .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3orob9xtE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The only advice worth taking here is to rent in the area first. Either sell up and bank any profit or rent your own house while renting.

Rural/commuter belt living is completely subjective. I know a couple who did it and are flourishing. I know a couple who sold up at a big loss because they just couldn't hack it.

Just make sure to cover yourself financially for either outcome and there's nothing to lose. Who knows, you could sell up in the next few months, rent for the year and in the meantime property prices plummet and you look like a genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The only advice worth taking here is to rent in the area first. Either sell up and bank any profit or rent your own house while renting.

This advice has come up a few times and, while I think it's very good advice, I have to wonder how feasible it would be. Certainly a quick look at Daft tells me there seem to be very few properties out there for rent (currently 5 listed in all of Gorey for example). And if OP is looking at rural (ie not town) living those options might be even fewer.

Anyways, just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

Rural/commuter belt living is completely subjective. I know a couple who did it and are flourishing. I know a couple who sold up at a big loss because they just couldn't hack it.

Just make sure to cover yourself financially for either outcome and there's nothing to lose. Who knows, you could sell up in the next few months, rent for the year and in the meantime property prices plummet and you look like a genius!

Sage advice indeed. However people are fleeing prohibitive accommodation costs in Dublin in their droves. Decent rentals in urban/rural Wexford and Wicklow are like hens teeth.

One thing to consider, all the threadbare Arklow jokes aside, it is the largest center of employment between Dublin and Wexford so its an option for getting work, which changes your options dramatically.

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought outside Arklow near woodenbridge over a year ago.

I think the town is great tbh, There is a nice community feel to the people. The Tidy towns guys do sterling work. The main street is missing shops due to shutdowns that appear to stem back to the tiger era but like most towns in ireland they appear to do their best to address it, repaints. Many many sold signs recently for commercial interests and there is new businesses opening every other month.

Frankly i think the town is underrated and has great value to be had.

it has Rail connections to Dublin, and Bus.
    has a large river amenity.
    a large shopping centre with cinema starbucks tk maxx the usual stuff. and any of the food options of a town of this size or larger.

Ive never had an ounce of trouble in the place since we moved down that direction., granted we are not in Arklow itself. But would be in the town regularly for shopping or food etc.

As someone who grew up in Dublin and is well versed in keeping an eye out for impending hastle ive yet to see it there.

So frankly i dont actually understand how the rep is justified in 2018. There is smart money if you know what to look for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 oal22

khaldrogo wrote: »
    As I said, I am using the option on MyHome that tells you how long the journey time is in rush hr traffic......without actually doing the drive myself from all the locations I'm looking at that's all I can do.

Yeah, this is a good idea. I'd highly recommend you do dummy runs at your normal working hours during the school year. Its insane how bad traffic get. I understand the desire to move out of the city, but don't underestimate the effects of a commute on your family life and general mental health. If it suits your place of work, try to find somewhere with a decent public transport link. not even just for you, but for your wife and the kids. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but it is something to consider.

take your time and find the option that works for your family. Even if it was possible to increase your budget slightly to give you more buying potential and your wife working part time for a while.

We moved out of dublin 7/8 years ago. we wanted full on country life but thankfully rented in the first instance. Turns out, complete isolation wasn't for us :) After 3 house moves, we found an area we we loved and had most of the amenities we wanted - it can be trial and error.

Good luck with it

For example, quite few places in the country you would pick up a period home with a front facing river view and a south facing garden for this money.

http://www.daft.ie/wicklow/houses-for-sale/arklow/2-fogartys-terrace-south-quay-arklow-wicklow-1526651/

Whatever your thoughts are, theres value there in a quiet location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

As someone said earlier, ballygarrett is nice and plenty of houses around there but the seaside price tags come with them. 200k wont get you much - It's not 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

listermint wrote:
    Bought outside Arklow near woodenbridge over a year ago.

In fairness, woodenbridge and arklow are not even similar in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

OP do you wanna specify here what exactly you're after? You're being a bit vague and there are a good few people on here living in the greater area you're looking into.
    Is it a detached house with land? A estate in a village? What are your outlooks for the future and what are crucial requirements?

Also is 200 the biggest mortgage you can get or is there some wiggle room? 200 near a rural town is still optimistic if you're looking for certain things, while it will probably buy you into an average 3bed in a housing estate, it won't buy you in a turn key detached bungalow.
    We moved into a village because we had a pile of cash an were in desperate need of housing but nowhere near Dublin moneywise and we really struggled to find a rental in Dublin Ireland close to it. Found a cheap doer-upper, invested 30k into it and have a nice ex-council in a tiny village estate now.

Someone mentioned Rathdrum too, gorgeous place to be but you'd need to up your budget a bit for that one but it brings you closer to Dublin with a rail link and relatively good link to the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

listermint wrote: »
    The main street is missing shops due to shutdowns that appear to stem back to the tiger era but like most towns in ireland they appear to do their best to address it, repaints. Many many sold signs recently for commercial interests and there is new businesses opening every other month.

Figure the commercial decline of Main Street in Arklow is as much to do with the opening of a large commercial shopping centre at Bridgewater. Has sucked some of the life outa the old town centre. Wicklow planners may have something to answer for in regard to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Figure the commercial decline of Main Street in Arklow is as much to do with the opening of a large commercial shopping centre at Bridgewater. Has sucked some of the life outa the old town centre. Wicklow planners may have something to answer for in regard to this.

Not really, Arklow has been a miserable town since the 1980s. Easy to blame a new development.

LirW wrote:
    OP do you wanna specify here what exactly you're after? You're being a bit vague and there are a good few people on here living in the greater area you're looking into. Is it a detached house with land? A estate in a village? What are your outlooks for the future and what are crucial requirements?

I don't know exactly tbh. I like the idea of a bit of land. I don't want to be in a really built up estate but I want my kids to have friends to play with. I suppose it will be a case if knowing it when we see it.

LirW wrote:
    Also is 200 the biggest mortgage you can get or is there some wiggle room? 200 near a rural town is still optimistic if you're looking for certain things, while it will probably buy you into an average 3bed in a housing estate, it won't buy you in a turn key detached bungalow. We moved into a village because we had a pile of cash an were in desperate need of house but nowhere near Dublin moneywise and we really struggled to find a rental in Dublin Ireland close to it. Found a cheap doer-upper, invested 30k into it and have a nice ex-council in a tiny village estate now.

We could get a mortgage of 400k if we wanted but one of the main reasons for the move was so my wife didn't have to work and could mind the kids. So we really want to spend as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I don't know exactly tbh. I like the idea of a bit of land. I don't want to be in a really built up estate but I want my kids to have friends to play with. I suppose it will be a case if knowing it when we see it.

We could get a mortgage of 400k if we wanted but one of the main reasons for the move was so my wife didn't have to work and could mind the kids. So we really want to spend as little as possible.

That all makes sense.
    I'd suggest you the following: Look at houses online down there that you like and book viewings for some Saturdays. Drive down, look at the houses, look at what's around, have lunch and get that going. With so many different types of properties to choose from you'll only really learn by going to see them and you'll quickly realise what you're after and can narrow your search down. I looked at around 25 houses in person before making a decision and in that time I went from "don't know" to pretty precise in what I wanted. I think this might be the best option to get a hang of driving times, the area, the housing stock there. And if you find out it doesn't suit, hey, at least you know and you can go from there!

In fairness, woodenbridge and arklow are not even similar in the slightest.

In fairness did I say it was.?

Did anyone ? Was there need to point that out.

Sarky to people who try to be helpful. Genius

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Have you thought about moving towards the North East? My missus has commuted to Dublin City - IFSC on the bus from Dundalk for 8 years now, no issues. An hour up, an hour back via the port tunnel. We are within an hour of three international airports and have as many amenities as you would get in a major city where we are. Beautiful scenery all along the bay from Blackrock to Greenore right up to Carlingford and lots of activities.

listermint wrote:
    Sarky to people who try to be helpful. Genius

Who pis$ed in your cornflakes???

Youre telling us how great Arklow is yet you live a 10 min drive away(1.5hrs walking) in a lovely quite, not built up picturesque Woodenbridge. You spend minimal amounts of time in Arklow and don't live there. People who live there have said its not great. Anybody could spend small amounts of time in bad areas and feel like they are not too bad when they are on their way home to their nice quiet area.

Also, your 'helpful' addition was to show me a terraced house from the 60s in need of a fair amount of money to be spent with only on street parking.

Thanks but that's not for us.

I've gotten some great feedback and ideas of what to do. Thanks all.

@mods - you can close this if you want before it descends into muddy waters.

Who pis$ed in your cornflakes???

Youre telling us how great Arklow is yet you live a 10 min drive away(1.5hrs walking) in a lovely quite, not built up picturesque Woodenbridge. You spend minimal amounts of time in Arklow and don't live there. People who live there have said its not great. Anybody could spend small amounts of time in bad areas and feel like they are not too bad when they are on their way home to their nice quiet area.

Also, your 'helpful' addition was to show me a terraced house from the 60s in need of a fair amount of money to be spent with only on street parking.

Thanks but that's not for us.

10 minutes drive ? Woodenbridge is under 5 minutes drive to arklow. or the equivalent of your trip to your local supervalue.

I dont spend small amounts of time there, i spend alot of time there as i said.

And i gave you an example of the value available.

Ive no idea what type of house you want because you havent given anyone any information short of you dont want to spend 200K and want the sun moon and the stars 'away from dubs'

Basically you want it all and people in D16 are all undesirables. Is your line...

Good luck, if anyone needs to examine themselves its not the contributors to your thread.

Its a fella with his head in the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TK1

You are a dub but don't like Dubs, that's a shame, it sounds a bit like you're running from your problem, do you honestly think wexford/meath or generally any place is better than Dubiln because there are no dubs there??? I think it all depends on the area and not what county people are from. My brother moved to Wexford (like you, "to have a better life"), hes back in Dublin, the place they moved to just didn't accept him or his family, they were snubbed, and just unfriendly, I thought he was making it up until I went down....be careful what you wish for!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

We are pretty much decided on moving out of
    We are both born and raised in D14/16 area. We were unfortunate to be buying during the boom and as a result were priced out to Lucan. We had visions of staying 5 years or so, selling at a large profit and moving back around where we grew up!!!! Obviously that never happened nor is it ever likely to,

While you may not have a large profit in Lucan and its now c. 10+ years later, at this point, given that d14/16 property prices are still 20 percent below what they were, would it not be more attainable to get a 14/16 property right now than your previous planned option, (all else been equal), & given that the few bad areas there have matured considerably, is there a real option here that you are discounting due to bad experiences?

The main reason for the move is so the wife can stay at home with the kids. No point in moving and taking on bigger debt and the wife still has to work.

daithiK1 wrote:
    While you may not have a large profit in Lucan and its now c. 10+ years later, at this point, given that d14/16 property prices are still 20 percent below what they were, would it not be more attainable to get a 14/16 property right now than your previous planned option, (all else been equal), & given that the few bad areas there have matured considerably, is there a real option here that you are discounting due to bad experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Driving and hour to work each day is a waste of ones time. Two hours a day

Working is a waste of a life!!!!

I have worked all over dublin. Some of my travel times within Dublin have been an hr. I can do an hr each way for a better life for my family

Working is a waste of a life!!!!

No you dingo. Travelling two hours a day. Is a waste of time. Move closer to the work.

khaldrogo wrote:
    I have worked all over dublin. Some of my travel times within Dublin have been an hr. I can do an hr each way for a better life for my family

No you dingo. Travelling two hours a day. Is a waste of time. Move closer to the work.

See above. Dingo.

khaldrogo wrote:

See above. Dingo.

X2 move closer to work. Is it that difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I used to work 4.5km from work in Dublin, when I worked the 8am-4pm shift it would take me 45 minutes to get to work.
    My husband now works 88kms from work and it takes him 55 minutes.

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »

I used to work 4.5km from work in Dublin, when I worked the 8am-4pm shift it would take me 45 minutes to get to work.
    My husband now works 88kms from work and it takes him 55 minutes.

You should have walked or cycled it would have been healthier and quicker. 4.8km is nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement