Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power cuts

• 08-07-2018 12:19am

Well we just had a power cut, several hours of exile from modern technology, the kids were really pissed off when the batteries finally expired in their phones, they had to resurrect their old Nintendo DS's.
    Then their batteries expired after that they had only their parents to talk to.

Power restored, normal service resumed and we're back to our separate ways, each on their own personal device connected to the internet!

Is this what modern technology has made us into?

Edit: and we missed the last half of the Russia-Croatia match.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ah the power cuts in our day were different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We played snakes and ladders in the candlelight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Ah the power cuts in our day were different

When we wore an onion on our belt.
    Twas a white one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Back in my day it was Littlewoods ladies underwear section by candle light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Jeff2 wrote: »
    When we wore an onion on our belt.
    Twas a white one.....

Which was the style at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

Give me 5 bees for a quarter

A bloke down the road in the 1960's was never worried about power cuts as he never bothered in getting the electric in, he still used gaslights.
    For entertainment he had a radio that used accumulators, by then he was having difficulties in finding places he could get them charged as most places had ceased doing that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

I wish I was at your place tonight Donal. You are cool man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My entire world falls apart when the power goes.

It's crazy how much we rely on it. What would we do if a solar flare wiped out the entire network.

There would be utter chaos.

I wish I was at your place tonight Donal. You are cool man.
    Yeah, it was like a step into the past, we all had a family evening at candlelight of a kind that isn't possible in a modern world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

About half an hour or so into a power cut my Dad would usually ask me to turn on the lights. Fell for it every time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I feel sorry for your kids having to take out the old dated Nintendo yokes. Mind you not as sorry as I feel for myself when I used an old frying pan as a tennis racquet this time of year when I was there age. No I'm not joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd be on with a power cut. I just bought a fresh Brennans sliced pan. I can survive.

I'd be on with a power cut. I just bought a fresh Brennans sliced pan. I can survive.
    Not if you want toast! :)
    Unless you do it the redneck way with a blowtorch! :D

Advertisement