Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert

Options
  • 08-07-2018 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

To make a long story short I think I underperformed in the Leaving Cert. Has anyone her ever repeated and if so how did you find it. Are Pearse and Plunkett colleges good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

To make a long story short I think I underperformed in the Leaving Cert. Has anyone her ever repeated and if so how did you find it. Are Pearse and Plunkett colleges good?

Hello! Sorry to hear that you're a bit disappointed with your Leaving Cert but my number one advice right now is don't worry about it until you get your results. The truth is you have no idea how you've done until you open that envelope in August. Enjoy your summer!

I did however repeat my Leaving Cert and I have to say that I'm quite glad I did. I missed out on my first three choices after my first Leaving Cert and I was quite disheartened. Tbh I wasn't looking forward to starting the course I was offered, I didn't have any of the excitement that many of my friends did and all in all I just wasn't feeling it. So I decided to repeat.

It was definitely tough at various points through the year. The worst part for me was seeing my mates in college around the country going on nights out and having a great time. That said if you're determined it's 100% doable. I went up by almost 70 points and I managed to get my first choice last summer. Just remember throughout the year why you're doing it and what your end goal is and try your best to stay focused. Also it's not a given that you'll do better. I think some people think they'll remember everything from the first time and just have to learn more stuff on top of that to do better but in reality you're starting back in 6th year day one again and have to put in a good bit of work.

I didn't go to Pearse or Plunkett but I did attend a PLC college to do a Repeat Leaving Cert course and found it great. There's much more freedom than in secondary school and it almost feels like 'college' in that sense? Like you kind of just feel like everyone else there doing a PLC course rather. The freedom with your subjects in places like that is much better than you'd get in a secondary school (at least in my experience anyways). It's also great being surrounded by other people who are repeating because you all kind of motivate each other.

Let me know if you have any other questions! But like I said, enjoy your summer for now and worry about it in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kittychan

I repeated and i enjoyed it but everyone is different.

My goals and reasons will be diff than yours so my experience wouldn't necessarily mean yours will be the same.

If you decide to repeat then think long and hard on why the first time didn't work and what THIS time you'll do different :)

Be more active in ensuring your repeat is a success and be consistent.
    I had many people around me who repeated with me and truth to be told, they ended up doing the same things they did last yr and ended up not happy.
    Repeating doesn't guarantee that you will perform better automatically :) !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hey, just wondering if any college does it "from" 5th year or do all do it from 6th year (1 year course)?

Also in regards to the fees, what's the difference between the various colleges? I heard Ashfield is in the thousands whereas Plunkett College is only €300. Is it the quality or just "prestige"?

What about Rathmines College as well. Thanks.

Businesses are in the business of making money. They charge as much as they can and as much as people will pay.

Plunkett and Rathmines are not businesses, they are schools of the City of Dublin Education and Training Board. They are not in it to make money, hence the difference in fees. Means nothing as regards results or teaching quality, though real schools have to have qualified staff.

Mind you, if your parents have forked out a fortune to send you to one of the businesses, it could be the kick in the backside some people need to make sure they work. Obviously you can work just as hard with a cheaper kick up the bum elsewhere.

Some places do a two year Leaving, though not usually as a repeat. Pearse College (also City of Dublin ETB) for example has a specific adult LC course.

Advertisement