Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours: A deeply transphobic Forum

Options
  • 08-07-2018 6:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Last night I logged onto the After Hours forum, to be confronted with one of the most shockingly transphobic threads I have yet witnessed on Boards, and that is saying something. As a member of the trans community, I found myself reading comments, not only attacking the very identity of trans people - conflating our existence to a fetish and even implying paedophilla was somehow involved - but also attacking the already underwhelming healthcare we receive from the Irish state. The whole thread was set about by transphobic users mocking, denying and refusing to accept that trans people, and children in particular, should be given the treatment they require.

The amount of misinformation, moral panic arguments and blatant disregard for trans people's lives on that thread was beyond the pale. And though, it is certainly one of the worst threads I have witnessed since joining up, it is certainly not the only one. It is a constant theme on that forum: pick out this minority for abuse and ridicule with ludicrous allegations such as treating trans children to World Health Organisations standards somehow amounts to child abuse.

I believe this deeply troubling and dangerous transphobic attitude goes further than just a few registered users but also to the Mod/Admin of that forum itself. On several occasions I have reported these outrageously abusive posts, and found I am the one the mods choose to discipline for, quite frankly, given the situation, a rather civil reply to a wholly hostile attack.

As a transwoman, I am passionate about the rights of all trans people. And suitable healthcare is a basic right for all of us. And when the healthcare of vulnerable trans children is under attack- alongside treating doctors, nurses and parents involved in their care - it is deeply troubling.

What is being allowed to happen on Boards at present, is not only an attack on the whole trans community but also a very personal one for each and every trans person. To add insult to injury, these people compare our existence to a fetish; they dehumanise us; and compare doctors and parents of trans children to child abusers. This behaviour is entirely unacceptable but this is exactly what is being allowed and indeed sanctioned and protected in the After Hours forum.

Thanks for reading
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is it this thread?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057889167

Are people not entitled to give their opinions and discuss their perceptions of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

If it is that thread you are an utter <SNIP>, OP. It's an articulate and genuine thread with valid points and zero transphobia as far as I can make out. Just because you got rinsed for your attack on the op you've gone running to the mods on here. Pathetic.

OP, a quick look at your post history shows you base your entire identity around the fact that you're trans. It's absolutely no surprise that you're offended by what's in that thread, but it doesn't mean it's objectively offensive.

The thread is about transchildren, and that is a contentious issue. Perhaps instead of looking for transphobia everywhere, offer opinions on it and debate it instead of running and trying to get it shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

As a transwoman, I am passionate about the rights of all trans people. And suitable healthcare is a basic right for all of us. And when the healthcare of vulnerable trans children is under attack- alongside treating doctors, nurses and parents involved in their care - it is deeply troubling.

There is absolutely no attack there....whatsoever. None.

If anything there is a disagreement over what constitutes 'suitable healthcare' for vulnerable minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@benjamin d - Abuse or name calling of another poster is not allowed. Cool your jets and make your point without insults

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

dudara wrote: »
    @benjamin d - Abuse or name calling of another poster is not allowed. Cool your jets and make your point without insults

dudara

Again, you're right. I was calling out weasely behaviour rather than specifically name-calling. I'll choose my words more carefully but my initial point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@JackTaylorFan - Please note this section in the Feedback forum charter...
    Users under a ban from a forum
    Users currently serving a ban from a forum with a duration over 1 month are not allowed to post on feedback threads concerning that forum. Once the ban is lifted or the term has ended, then the user is more than welcome to participate. This is to stem a growing trend of banned users hijacking threads to either appeal a ban or take the opportunity to make life more difficult for the Mod or Mods that imposed the ban in the first place. Any post reported, if posted after this amendment to the charter and during a ban period will be investigated. Any user found breaking this rule will have a ban from feedback imposed on them, without warning, that will only be lifted when their original forum ban has expired or has been lifted. To appeal a ban, please use the Dispute Resolution forum and follow the procedure.

Thread closed until ban term is complete or ban is successfully appealed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement