Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in population renting... ticking time bomb?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

GingerLily wrote:
    Is there evidence that these things would help with a crash?

Yes and no
    GingerLily wrote:
    Any of the more practical suggestions are already being implemented in one way or another.

Are they really?
    Do we have any statistics on who these homeless people are and why they are homeless?

Yes, less play with 'definitions', that's practical! Our housing issues have been well written about now, by well respected commentators, they are real, it's time to stop 'playing' with definitions

Sorry folks, very busy right now

Augeo wrote:
    If readiness was a prerequisite to a crash the event wouldn't be a crash.

So we couldn't prepare for 2008, even though many realised it was on the way prior to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Thats all well and good but the cost of a ticket (especially in ireland) on such a system would likely outweigh any savings on the property.

Not neccessarily, Branson who recently invested in it, reckons it's 1/3rd cheaper than H-S rail (no moving parts, no rials, 2m wide tube, no friction). Also at least 300% faster than HS2 (which will cost the UK £26bn+ for 2026 completion).

Once built (essentially just 2m wide sealed tubes).

klWdd4r.png

There is no reason a ticket should cost more than any other alternative with near zero and autonomous maintence costs.

Just 6 lines with x19 hubs means you have 'nineteen near equal choices' of where to live, commute from, and importantly build housing, instead of just 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yes and no

Are they really?

Stricter lending conditions - CBI rules, local authority mortgages, it's all over the news papers

Are they really?

You don't think banking activities now have stricter regulations? You need to be an approved product adviser (level 7 on the NFQ) to sell car finance now etc etc etc

Stricter regulations on banking activities.........

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote:
    Stricter lending conditions - CBI rules, local authority mortgages, it's all over the news papers

Is this enough, and will it work?

Augeo wrote:
    You don't think banking activities now have stricter regulations? You need to be an approved product adviser (level 7 on the NFQ) to sell car finance now etc etc etc

No I don't think so, deep institutional change is required, that largely hasn't happened

Is this enough, and will it work?

I don't know, I cannot see into the future.

More likely to work then a more democratic political system and some of the other strange solutions you had proposed.

No I don't think so, deep institutional change is required, that largely hasn't happened

Do you work in a bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Not neccessarily, Branson who recently invested in it, reckons it's 1/3rd cheaper than H-S rail (no moving parts, no rials, 2m wide tube, no friction). Also at least 300% faster than HS2 (which will cost the UK £26bn+ for 2026 completion).

Once built (essentially just 2m wide sealed tubes).

klWdd4r.png

There is no reason a ticket should cost more than any other alternative with near zero and autonomous maintence costs.

Just 6 lines with x19 hubs means you have 'nineteen near equal choices' of where to live, commute from, and importantly build housing, instead of just 1.

That just means higher profits for whatever company the government grants the operation rights to in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

That just means higher profits for whatever company the government grants the operation rights to in Ireland.

Like everything, market supply-demand pricing will kick in. If it's too costly people won't use, if it's cheap more tickets get sold so they get profit anyway.

Early adopters will be motivated by any holding groups, for it to be proven as successful, functionaly and cost-wise.

Perhaps state could be a Maj stakeholder, and some technology either open-source, or developed on-shore...

Still, you build a house somewhere fairly remote for 1/2 price, and get into town in 10mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

But there was no housing shortage for that 5 years, we had too many houses.

Exactly when do you thing the housing shortage started?? You do realize that it didn't just appear on some random day? You need to check you figures again.

Our housing shortage started in 2011/2012. This was shown in the increase in homeless figures, House price increase & rent increases. The increase in homeless people from 2011 to date is largely from people not actually being able to find somewhere to rent. Some people who work are in emergency accommodation because there is nowhere to live. This has been pointed out by homeless charities since 2011.

The linked article was published in Jan 2015 while covering the reasons for the housing shortage dating back a few years previous. It's ludicrous to suggest that there wasn't a housing shortage under the last government

http://claredaly.ie/the-housing-crisis-and-the-irish-rental-sector/

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Our housing shortage started in 2011/2012. This was shown in the increase in homeless figures, House price increase & rent increases. The increase in homeless people from 2011 to date is largely from people not actually being able to find somewhere to rent. Some people who work are in emergency accommodation because there is nowhere to live. This has been pointed out by homeless charities since 2011.

Commentators such as Tom and Ronan Lyons have been writing about this for nearly 10 years

Commentators such as Tom and Ronan Lyons have been writing about this for nearly 10 years

So the shortage started in 2011/2012 as I originally claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

GingerLily wrote: »
    Do you work in a bank?
    Considering his/her past comments about there being no free market, not understanding supply, demand and liquidity, basic concepts, (s)he'd be dangerous working near money!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Considering his/her past comments about there being no free market, not understanding supply, demand and liquidity, basic concepts, (s)he'd be dangerous working near money!

I would have to agree!

ELM327 wrote:

Please research this folks, there's well respected commentators writing about this, some holding positions of professorship, some of their comments have been confirmed by high level economic and financial institutions. Thank you

Sleeper12 wrote:
    So the shortage started in 2011/2012 as I originally claimed.

More or less, maybe longer, think Tom Lyons spotted it round 2009

Please research this folks, there's well respected commentators writing about this, some holding positions of professorship, some of their comments have been confirmed by high level economic and financial institutions. Thank you

Why would I research this? Plenty of professors also have opposing views too.

This feels very tinfoil hat territory

GingerLily wrote:

Would it not be a good idea to research opposing views, possibly to get a more balanced view? I think Jim Rickards is right in this regard, arguing with opposing views is educational

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This feels very tinfoil hat territory
    +1
    I'd have more use arguing with the BMI guy in AH :D

Would it not be a good idea to research opposing views, possibly to get a more balanced view? I think Jim Rickards is right in this regard, arguing with opposing views is educational

I don't mind arguing opposing views, but your not even arguing - just telling me to look into it myself - lol

I don't mind arguing opposing views, but your not even arguing - just telling me to look into it myself - lol

He's a copy and paste merchant, it's either a few words or a copied spiel. He actually has sfa original to say himself.

Ah jasus. Here's me thinking attack the post not the poster. I must have it wrong :(

Augeo wrote:
    He's a copy and paste merchant, it's either a few words or a copied spiel. He actually has sfa original to say himself.

Once again, I will explain this, I am in fact Dyslexic, therefore I struggle to communicate my thoughts and ideas particularly by text, but please do continue you're own ignorances, thank you

Once again, I will explain this, I am in fact Dyslexic, therefore I struggle to communicate my thoughts and ideas particularly by text, but please do continue you're own ignorances, thank you

You don't struggle at repeatedly spieling out the thoughts and ideas of others though :)

Augeo wrote:
    You don't struggle at repeatedly spieling out the thoughts and ideas of others though

Thank you, because writing about it is a serious struggle for me

Wanderer78 wrote:

Me too dyslexic and autistic. It can be difficult on boards.ie at times

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Me too dyslexic and autistic. It can be difficult on boards.ie at times

Autistic as well, unfortunately the modern society does not accommodate these issues very well and regularly exasperates them

• Advertisement

I'd say the modern society accommodates these issues very well compared to 20, 30, 40 years ago etc etc. Still work to do no doubt.

Advertisement