Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overflow pipe

• 08-07-2018 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭

So our overflow pipe is leaking and is awful to see especially in this drought type weather.

We got a new ballcock & thought that would sort it but it has continued so when we get up in the morning the water has flowed from overflow pipe into the garden.

I've tried adjusting position of arm of ballcock but the leak is still the same in the morning.

Any advice welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Describe your setup. Cylinder? Two attic tanks?

Is it coming through the ballcock?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

Wearb wrote: »
    Describe your setup. Cylinder? Two attic tanks?

Is it coming through the ballcock?

2 tanks in the Attic one big one & small one for the hot-press cylinder I'm guessing in the hot press.

I'm having a look now and can't see any water from the ballcock. I'm a bit clueless here.

Thanks for getting back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Ring a plumber before you do some damage

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Probably the coil in the emmersion tank has a pinhole and the water wants to equalize between large tank and small tank causing drip on the over flow

Which tank is the higher one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Wearb wrote:
    Which tank is the higher one?

Both tanks can be same height but the water levels can be at different heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Is the overflow pipe coming out of the same tank as the one the ballcock is in? You need to think in terms of water level. The level at which the ballcock shuts off may be higher than the level of the overflow pipe.

Havw you tried bending the rod of the ballcock down a bit to make it stop at a lower level?

noel100 wrote: »

If the rims of the tanks were the same height, pressure could equalise, ruling out the certainty of the coil being holed.

Could be a boiler blow off you are mixing up

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

To be honest OP I'd rule out the simple possibilities before going for the exotic ones

• Advertisement

noel100 wrote: »

If the rims of the tanks were the same height, pressure could equalise, ruling out the certainty of the coil being holed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

If the coil was holed would you expect to have a continuous drip rather than a flow at night?

Cerco wrote: »
    If the coil was holed would you expect to have a continuous drip rather than a flow at night?

Tanks not full during the day from being used maybe?

Ring a plumber before you do some damage

Ha ha my Mrs knows me & she wouldn't let me tackle it. Plumber has been out twice.

First he replaced ballcock then he came back to adjust it. I've left the water on for his next visit to have a better look.

Kurtainsider, yeah the overflow pipe is coming from tank that ballcock is in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

baldbear wrote: »
    Ha ha my Mrs knows me & she wouldn't let me tackle it. Plumber has been out twice.

First he replaced ballcock then he came back to adjust it. I've left the water on for his next visit to have a better look.

Kurtainsider, yeah the overflow pipe is coming from tank that ballcock is in .

I think you said that you have two tanks, if so then both will have ballcocks, have you checked the other tank ballcock for flow/noflow??.

To be clear, are you saying that you still have a overflow from one tank and neither of the ballcocks is making up?.

So the plumber called out and initially thought the ballcock was faulty but the mrs mentioned the kitchen tap made a funny noise & Around March I got a new kitchen tap from Lidl.

When I had the water on when the plumber came he found the water in the cold tank was warm. So reckons the new tap was pushing water back up into the tank. I forget the name of the part he said the new tap had.

But in the end the Lidl tap wasn't cheap. No dripping this morning anyway. Fingers crossed that its sorted.

Advertisement