Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! I need answers :(

Options
  • 08-07-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys,

I am posting here because I don't really know where else to post.

Two weeks ago (today) myself and my husband had unprotected sex for the first time (we would love a child and decided we would just let it happen).

So 3 days ago (which would be 4 days before my period) I decided to take an early detection pregnancy test to see if we had been successful... There was a very faint positive line.

I have done about 10 home tests since, and they have all come back as positive, even the Clearblue Digital tests - though the tests with the lines are only showing faint lines (but there are definitely lines there).

However, I went to the doctor on Friday to confirm my pregnancy and his test said it was 'negative' (never wanted to cry so much) - which is odd because every other home test (bar one) has given me a positive reading. Again, this morning I took another test (Clearblue Digital) and it said 'pregnant 1-2 weeks'...

I would be due my period tomorrow and have VERY slight cramping so am terrified I am getting my period - though I have heard of some women having slight cramping during the very early stages of pregnancy.

Has this ever happened to anyone else here? Could all those positive home tests be wrong? I am just confused as to why the home ones came out 'positive' but doctors was 'negative'...

All of the positive tests have gotten my hopes up now so I will be devastated if I discover they were false tests... I don't know what to think!

Thanks in advance for your help

Kel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

This happens a lot. You went to your doctor very early, and the tests they use are less sensitive than the home pregnancy tests- so it was too early in the pregnancy for the doctors test to pick it up.

Try not to stress - you're definitely pregnant- but maybe slow down a little on all the tests! Test again in the middle of this week, then go back to your GP when you're a little further along. I've always gone around the six week mark.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

False negatives are much more likely to occur than false positives. One thing for certain tho is that stressing about it will not be helping the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Yes doctors tests aren’t as sensitive so I’m afraid you’re just going to have to wait another few days and rest again. Sounds very likely you’re pregnant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Doctors buy the dirt cheap tests on bulk. They aren't as sensitive as the ones you'd buy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Amber 123

I remember having period like symptoms just after I fell pregnant - tender breasts and cramping. I’m 17 weeks now. Positive home tests would suggest that you are pregnant and it’s very early days. Did you doctor explain that their tests are less sensitive? Try to keep the nerves in check and do another home test next week. Wishing you all the luck in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

My GP told me that he wouldn’t even bother testing due to the positive home test being so reliable.
    Hang in there and congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I had this on my first little boy. Multiple positive home tests and negative in GP because it was so early. I now have a 3.5 year old.

I would say right now you are pregnant and hopefully all goes well for you! Try to relax a little if you can at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Try to relax yourself, it is likely that you are pregnant, but putting yourself under so much stress isn't good for you.

Give it another couple of weeks before you test again, try not to obsess about it. Take care of yourself and what will happen, will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I'd say wait another couple of weeks too, I waited until a week after the latest time I would get my period, so about day 39, before i took the first test, I would have been upset if it was negative so I just got on with things and tried to forget about it. So don't stress, don't test again for a couple of weeks and see what happens - if you are pregnant you have to get used to the whole waiting game anyway - this is good practice!!:D;)

Advertisement