Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aptamil change in formula?

• 08-07-2018 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

So I'm sure most of you have seen the uproar online about Aptamil changing their powdered formula ingredients and there is a lot of complaints online about it making their babies sick, even some hospitalised.

Does anybody have any experiences with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Honestly my 8 week old is on Aptamil and I haven't noticed anything.My second was on it two years ago, and there are no obvious differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

shesty wrote: »
    Honestly my 8 week old is on Aptamil and I haven't noticed anything.My second was on it two years ago, and there are no obvious differences.

Thank you.
    My baby is only 1 week old and the formula we have been using is the old packaging (which is completely sold out everywhere!) And I guess I'm just a bit afraid after all the online complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

We got a box of the new formula when our little one was 3 weeks old (3 weeks ago), we didn’t know the formula had changed, thought it was just new look packaging. That week we had to take her to the doctor with an upset tummy and screaming crying. Diarrhea at every feed and doctor said he could hear her gut was way more active than normal. We thought she had a bug as there was nothing in the media about his back then. Sample from her nappy came back from the lab clear so no bug. Next box of formula was the old one again and her nappies have gone back to normal.

Obviously at 3 weeks she’s not eating anything else and no bug leads me to believe it was the change in formula. Went out and stocked up on the old version before it sells out, won’t be bothering with the new stuff again.

Just my experience.

Toastytoes wrote: »
    We got a box of the new formula when our little one was 3 weeks old (3 weeks ago), we didn’t know the formula had changed, thought it was just new look packaging. That week we had to take her to the doctor with an upset tummy and screaming crying. Diarrhea at every feed and doctor said he could hear her gut was way more active than normal. We thought she had a bug as there was nothing in the media about his back then. Sample from her nappy came back from the lab clear so no bug. Next box of formula was the old one again and her nappies have gone back to normal.

Obviously at 3 weeks she’s not eating anything else and no bug leads me to believe it was the change in formula. Went out and stocked up on the old version before it sells out, won’t be bothering with the new stuff again.

Just my experience.

Ah Sorry to hear your baby was sick with it.
    Can I ask how you make your formula? I know this is such a controversial topic and everybody has their own opinions on it but I'm just curious because Aptamil have said that the new formula is more temperature sensitive. Did you notice any difference in the look/smell or how it was mixing?
    Sorry for all the questions. I am genuinely just town between what to do as I'm hearing from both sides about it. Some babies are 100% on it and some not.

Gee_G wrote: »
    Can I ask how you make your formula? I know this is such a controversial topic and everybody has their own opinions on it but I'm just curious because Aptamil have said that the new formula is more temperature sensitive. Did you notice any difference in the look/smell or how it was mixing?
    Sorry for all the questions. I am genuinely just town between what to do as I'm hearing from both sides about it. Some babies are 100% on it and some not.

We use the perfect prep machine so it was made exactly the same as the other tubs. I do recall the bottle looking a bit curdled when washing them but thought that was just from them sitting there for a while after feeding but I notice now that we’re back to the old formula that that doesn’t happen. There was some milk around her mouth that looked curdled too but again I didn’t take much notice at the time as I didn’t know anything was different. She has only vomitted twice since she was born and once was while on that new formula, had a major projectile incident.

I see some people saying it didn’t affect their child so maybe affecting some more than others but for me I won’t go back to it given my experience with it especially when I can stock up enough of the old version. I found aldi and lidl still had it on the shelves.

There was literally poop running out the sides of her nappies on to my knees and hands when I was feeding her.

• Advertisement

Toastytoes wrote: »
    We use the perfect prep machine so it was made exactly the same as the other tubs. I do recall the bottle looking a bit curdled when washing them but thought that was just from them sitting there for a while after feeding but I notice now that we’re back to the old formula that that doesn’t happen. There was some milk around her mouth that looked curdled too but again I didn’t take much notice at the time as I didn’t know anything was different. She has only vomitted twice since she was born and once was while on that new formula, had a major projectile incident.

I see some people saying it didn’t affect their child so maybe affecting some more than others but for me I won’t go back to it given my experience with it especially when I can stock up enough of the old version. I found aldi and lidl still had it on the shelves.

There was literally poop running out the sides of her nappies on to my knees and hands when I was feeding her.

You were lucky you got stocking up before the rush So!
    I drove around a lot of places today and everywhere is sold out!!
    I also bought a tub of Cow and Gate to maybe switch to that as I read that they're very similar.

Thank you for your replies x

You were lucky you got stocking up before the rush So!
    I drove around a lot of places today and everywhere is sold out!!
    I also bought a tub of Cow and Gate to maybe switch to that as I read that they're very similar.

Thank you for your replies x

I’ve read the aldi own brand is v similar too so might be worth trying if you have problems but hopefully you won’t.

Best of luck x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 Yellowboglady

They have also sneakily changed from 900g to 800g with no price change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I noticed this but their post is ludicrously non specific if it’s so temperature sensitive! Like take the average temp now in Ireland. Boiling a kettle and leaving it to cool for 30 minutes in this heat versus boiling a kettle and leaving it for 30 minutes on a cold winters night are going to result in different temperatures. Why not tell parents exactly what temp it actually needs to come down to? The mathematician in me is frustrated!

We have a funky kettle at the moment though where I can actually see the current temp of the water so I think that’s why it’s offending me so much considering I’m only pregnant not feeding a baby right now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I think it’s because people aren’t preparing it the way you’re supposed to yeah.

We just use the premade bottles. Preparing formula from powder safely seems pretty onerous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sorry gee-g I have to jump back in here and say we were still using the old pack.I thought it was a new one (third child, head melted).He has just started a pack of the Aptamil pro-natura one this morning, which OH bought randomly....unsure if this formula has changed?All I can say about it is that it seems to dissolve much easier than the previous box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

My 4 month old has stopped finishing the bottles, I’m lucky to get half into him before the change he would leave maybe an ounce. He’s also a bit constipated which I was putting down to the weather but I’m not sure now. I’m going to look into changing as I need him to be taking all of his bottles. Does anyone know what the closest formula to aptamil is? I’m gonna phone the other companies this morning and try to get samples to try! I’m so annoyed, it’s hard enough in this heat with babies without fxxking with their formula

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Cerocco wrote: »
    My 4 month old has stopped finishing the bottles, I’m lucky to get half into him before the change he would leave maybe an ounce. He’s also a bit constipated which I was putting down to the weather but I’m not sure now. I’m going to look into changing as I need him to be taking all of his bottles. Does anyone know what the closest formula to aptamil is? I’m gonna phone the other companies this morning and try to get samples to try! I’m so annoyed, it’s hard enough in this heat with babies without fxxking with their formula
    Our kid has had constipation a bit. His feeding goes down if he hasn’t pooped for a few days - So constipation might be what’s causing your kid to feed less too.

The best thing we’ve found is pears. A bit of pear juice in water, or pear purée if he’s started solids. They contain sorbitol, which is a natural laxative. It’s the same thing that is in prunes. He doesn’t like prunes though, and does like pears.

Cerocco wrote: »

Cow & Gate is supposed to be practically identical Ingredients. I did compare them and there is very little difference. Plus it's also made by Danone as is Aptamil. Which is what I will be changing too I'd say. But then you'd also have to wonder how long will it be until they're changing that too?! Hard to know what to do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The packaging for Cow and Gate has changed as well so I reckon that the formulation has changed for that too.

I've just stopped breastfeeding my 5 month old and I'm giving him Aptamil, I managed to get two old tubs in my local Morrisons but we'll see after that. If any shenanigans with the newer tubs I'll probably switch him to Hipp Organic, but I'd like to get his milk settled before he starts solids properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I noticed this but their post is ludicrously non specific if it’s so temperature sensitive! Like take the average temp now in Ireland. Boiling a kettle and leaving it to cool for 30 minutes in this heat versus boiling a kettle and leaving it for 30 minutes on a cold winters night are going to result in different temperatures. Why not tell parents exactly what temp it actually needs to come down to? The mathematician in me is frustrated! 

We have a funky kettle at the moment though where I can actually see the current temp of the water so I think that’s why it’s offending me so much considering I’m only pregnant not feeding a baby right now lol
    This drove me nuts too! Also, different kettles have different capacities and insulation. Just tell me the temp. 
    My kids never settled on Aptimal even years ago. Found it very hard on the tummies. SMA was the one that suited them. But all babies are different I guess. I wonder what the market share is for them all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

The packaging for Cow and Gate has changed as well so I reckon that the formulation has changed for that too.

I've just stopped breastfeeding my 5 month old and I'm giving him Aptamil, I managed to get two old tubs in my local Morrisons but we'll see after that. If any shenanigans with the newer tubs I'll probably switch him to Hipp Organic, but I'd like to get his milk settled before he starts solids properly.

I’m using the cow and gate comfort milk and there’s a leaflet in the box saying only the packaging has changed. My baby guzzles it down anyway and we haven’t noticed any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I was using the perfect prep machine with th e new aptimal and there wasn't a huge difference in baby (9weeks)

Bottles became a nightmare to clean as the milk really stuck to them. It also stank.

Wasnt happy with the change or response so have moved to aldi mamia. On it a week now and all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Anyone know where still has the old formula?

Anyone know where still has the old formula?

Nowhere unfortunately! I think the whole country was cleared out of it haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The whole thing is just awful and it's so annoying but totally understandable that people are making the switch to Cow and Gate as it's essentially the same company so Danone are not really feeling the impact as much as they could. Do people remember the big furore when sma changed their dha from a non fish source to a fish source and babies were getting more reflux etc... These companies are too big and have carte blanch to do what they like. Great to see hipp organic available in dunnes and boots. I discovered while reading about aptamil on baby centre or mumsnet about mum's posting about a UK made milk called Kendamil so did a bit more googling and it seems an Irish entrepreneur bought the factory and they have a formula that is quite different from the main players - it has no fish oil, no palm oil and they use more whole milk as the base for their milk. It would definitely be something I would be interested in trying but it's not available here yet so I e-mailed and apparently they are looking to get it listed with a supermarket here but nothing doing as of yet. The market needs a shake up with real competition and real variety and alternatives! That's my tuppence worth anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

We switched to the ALDI own brand, though wouldn't be surprised if it's made by Danone also!

They'd make lower margins on it but I hope their aptamil sales drop as a result of this - teach them a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Our little lad (3.5months) ismt happy with the new formula. Not getting burps up, more agitated, not as full after feeds. Having mad diarrhea with the new stuff never had it with the old pack. Rang aptamil and ranted at them obviously reading from a script. I pushed them on the "research" they did I was forwarded in journals about the new process to make the milk. No patent and child data just the "it was generally well received" rubbish. 3 weeks on the new formula and gona try another brand. New formula has lactose as main ingredient, old formula was whey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I have a few bottles of the pre made old formula Aptamil that I don't need if anyone wants them.

Thanks to the poster who said what the change is, i wish they would state what they changed.Just to update on this, ten weeks on I have changed my 18 week old to SMA.He had about ten weeks of the Aptamil, and he was puking more and more and was constantly uncomfortable, writhing around as if he had cramps in his tummy all day.He also stopped drinking all of a bottle, only ever took 2/3s.I got fed up last week when I was puked on every time I picked him up-I understand babies puke, and my second baby was a bit pukey, but this was ridiculous.He is a lot more settled on the SMA, devouring bottles and although he still spits, it has drastically reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Was there a resolution to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Was there a resolution to this?

Do you mean did aptimal change back to original for formula? They didn't

I changed to aldi formula. A lot of people changed. Some stayed on it as they had no issues

Advertisement