Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advert blockers

Options
  • 08-07-2018 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I've signed up to a few sites that have been very helpful in blocking unwanted website advertisements (see attached). One was Windscribe and another was Tunnel Bear - both great but for a limited time and until they started looking for subscriptions. I've heard of ad-blockers but am I wasting my time for a few weeks before they want my credit card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Adblock plus is free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Nope, looks like you've signed up to VPN's. Completely different thing.

I'd recommend a pihole... or ublock origin for browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

AdGuard for pc is free too

ublock origin doesn't seem to use as much pc resources as the other ones that I've tried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Opera browser has a built in ad-blocker, which is nice, and also a built in VPN, which comes in handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is it you are trying to achieve OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Adblock plus is free

Adblock is a shadow of what it used to be, if you can, use, uBlock Origin. (Wikipedia)

I only started using it because I couldn't get the boards.ie website to 'behave' the way I wanted to, when not loggged in.. basically, no graphics, avatars, headers, footers or 'welcome' boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the replies.
    biko wrote: »
    What is it you are trying to achieve OP?
    Just trying to visit websites without the ads taking over the show.

Logo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys.

Just trying to visit websites without the ads taking over the show.

ublock origin for firefox / chrome is all you need.

verycool wrote: »
    ublock origin for firefox / chrome is all you need.
    I'm using Google Chrome. So how do I unblock the ads?

• Advertisement

I'm using Google Chrome. So how do I unblock the ads?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm

Blue button top right, add to chrome, done!

Done. But the ads are still overpowering the websites.
    I can understand why sites need advertising revenue to survive but there comes a time when users are slow to visit sites due to ads overpowering content.

Done. But the ads are still overpowering the websites.
    I can understand why sites need advertising revenue to survive but there comes a time when users are slow to visit sites due to ads overpowering content.

Click the red shield at the top right, click the three lined icon (the dashboard), click the filter lists tab and enable a few more of those (the plus symbol expands more options). Don't enable any of the experimental ones though.

Click the red shield at the top right, click the three lined icon (the dashboard), click the filter lists tab and enable a few more of those (the plus symbol expands more options). Don't enable any of the experimental ones though.
    On the https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm website there is no three lined icon - just a blue banner asking 'ADD TO CHROME' - and then uBlock Origin. It's been added to Chrome now
    *btw I love vinegary chips - should have gone for chips with the lads instead of this*

On the https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm website there is no three lined icon - just a blue banner asking 'ADD TO CHROME' - and then uBlock Origin. It's been added to Chrome now
    *btw I love vinegary chips - should have gone for chips with the lads instead of this*

Ok, here's what to do.

Power the machine off.

Go outside.

Never go near a computer again.

Ok, here's what to do.

Power the machine off.

Go outside.

Never go near a computer again.

Apologies verycool. You have been most helpful. I honestly didn't mean to offend (maybe a bit of sunstroke). Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Just out of interest, is there a mobile equivalent?

Just out of interest, is there a mobile equivalent?

Blockada on Fdroid is good.

Works for non rooted phones and lets you import your own blocklists / whitelists.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.blokada.alarm/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You have no idea the amount of stress you have reduced in my life.

A sincere thank you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I’m tempted to download extensions like Tunnelbear VPN from chrome web store except it says it can:
    Read and change all your data on the websites you visit
    Manage your apps, extensions and themes
    Change your privacy-related settings

Cluless here.
    Please don't reply with technobabble because I won't understand it.
    Help anyone?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Nope, looks like you've signed up to VPN's. Completely different thing.

I'd recommend a pihole... or ublock origin for browsers.

Pi-Hole is the best solution as it work across your whole network rather than just one device. It's not a simple set up though for the uninitiated.

I find that you do still need an adblocker anyway to get rid of all the empty spaces previously occupied by the adverts.

Just make sure to whitelist the websites you want to support, provided of course they don't have horrifically annoying ads.

For what you're trying to do a VPN is overkill and not really a good solution anyway. A VPN is essentially a tunnel in the internet from you to somewhere else. These VPNs purporting to eliminate adverts will send all of your web traffic through their servers and just not serve up advert content when serving you the rest of the page. I'm sure it works but I also wouldn't trust those companies not to be evil. Plus it'll likely have a performance impact wheres something like ublock origin won't.

The easiest thing for you to do is install chrome/vivaldi/opera, they all have inbuilt adblockers. You can also then use another addon such as ublock origin with each of these browsers. Here's how to do it for Chrome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKg1i8hef8

Pi-Hole is the best solution as it work across your whole network rather than just one device.

I find that you do still need an adblocker anyway to get rid of all the empty spaces previously occupied by the adverts.

Just make sure to whitelist the websites you want to support, provided of course they don't have horrifically annoying ads.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Anyone know of an app the will block the accept cookies notices on a Android phone or some way of turning them off thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Hi folks, I'll close this for a short while and move it over to the Computers and Technology forum. Please note the change of forum and forum rules.

Buford T. Justice

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: Thread unlocked (sorry I only noticed this discussion now).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

^ thats called the 'Burger Menu' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Most of phone etc. are rooted so I can install ad away

However just got a NVidia shield and don't want to root it and some apps that I use have adds

Blokada does not seem to work and wondering how easy it is to install Pi-hole on home network.

Have virgin media hub but this is bridged to a TP Link router. Currently googling and you tubing but looking for pointers and assistance

Cheers

Advertisement